User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I only pull my 5th wheel at 60 mph, even in 80 mph zones. It annoy's others, but it is much safer, and better fuel mileage. Gives me a lot more time to react to driving events. "

Now this makes sense and I do the same thing. For one thing the tires most of these trailers are ridding on are not safe above 60 and many are not safe at 20!! Manufacturers put the cheapest tire they can find and too many folks assume that since the tread is deep it must be safe. Those folks have obviously not enjoyed their first blow out on an almost new tire. It's a real problem in the industry.

Also having more time to react to driving events is critical. Slow down!!! Driving fast is nothing but a bad habit that will plague you every time you are behind the wheel even when you are not towing. Also your fuel mileage will improve.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been some very good advice given so far. Part of gassing up that makes life easier is planning ahead, know your mileage and how far you want to go and scout out Gas stations along the route, check the layout on Google earth or something simular to be sure it is to navigate.

There are more of us "little ladies" pulling long trailers out there, some alone with no one to guide them and do it successfully. No reason you can't be one of them. Don't let fear dictate if you do or don't, find the right RV driving course for you and it will go far to boost your confidence.
    We are only 33 ft but I wouldn't be concerned if it were 38 ft at all.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your note sounds so familiar. We purchased our 1st RV (Forest River - Sandpiper 4.5') Feb 2016 and a used 2014 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7, Diesel (new to us). The reason I can relate; this was our first truck and first RV. I was very uncomfortable-NERVOUS, But I was determined to adventure out to the great USA to see the kids and friends. I am the sole driver and enjoy driving even after my many OOOOOPPPPS! We recently purchased our 2020 390RK-K (41.5' - oh my)and are full-time RVing since May 2019.

Spending time doing the right things will minimize errors and using pull-through RV sites and gas stations will help. Practicing with those well trained is a great idea. Taking a driving class would help too - Escapes (https://member.escapees.com/) has information on where to hook up during some of the RV Rallies much like GD. The statement about the gas stations is so true. Some stations don't allow a straight path or an adequate turning lane. For a bit, stay with what you know - gas stations that accommodate the long rig (Sheets-Pilot-Loves etc.). Another issue is some, but not many, campgrounds have restrictions on 38'. However, we did with 40' length for just a couple sites.

We were adequately covered in several ways. We PRAYED prior and often for our trip. We had an adequate warranty, insurance policy, and roadside assistance. As you said, think safety; pay most of your attention on this and it will go far. Plan, prep the RV and always keep GOAL in mind - Get-Out-And-Look (every time and anytime it just doesn't feel right).

I must tell you I didn't heed these suggestions and just set out with minimal practice and some Youtube viewing. We have our first RV in the shop getting all the OOOOOPPPS remedied prior to selling. I had to take the RV in a few times to have repairs done and deservedly got the name Wreck-it-Ralph (cartoon movie character). I take it all in stride and am able to laugh at myself and my wife laughs at me too.

Retired and enjoying life!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Did It, You Can

I purchased a 2018 BHS 311 (which is currently for sale) and have had no issues. You can do it. Follow your plan. Plan your routes, search for truck stops and tell the campground your camper is 40 ft long to get the easier sites. Pull throughs are the best. Also pay NO ATTENTION to all the onlookers whose only joy in life seems to watch new campers try and pull in a site.

Quote Originally Posted by case24 View Post
    I purchased my truck a Ram 3500 6.7L Diesel 4x4 already and plan on purchasing a 2020 Grand Design 38' 5th Wheel BHS311 in the spring and becoming a full timer. A friend and I are retiring selling everything and going on the road. She will not be driving the unit at all. I have some experience with a tent camper and I have worked with a utility trailer for years. I extremely handy and versatile. I plan to have two gentlemen who drive transport to go out with me for training.
    My problem is and this. It only seems to be coming mostly from men and I've heard the little lady can't handle a 38' trailer. I was told I should only haul no longer than a 34'. I will have trouble at the gas stations, parking at trailer parks it would just be too much for me and one man's final words were "mark my words". I will plan my routes ahead of time and pick camgrounds with pull through sites (I can back it up if I have to no problem).
    How does everyone else deal with issues hauling a trailer\5th wheel with a length of 38"? What tips do I need to make our trips safe and our retirement enjoyable?

Case

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my truck a Ram 3500 6.7L Diesel 4x4 already and plan on purchasing a 2020 Grand Design 38' 5th Wheel BHS311 in the spring and becoming a full timer. A friend and I are retiring selling everything and going on the road. She will not be driving the unit at all. I have some experience with a tent camper and I have worked with a utility trailer for years. I extremely handy and versatile. I plan to have two gentlemen who drive transport to go out with me for training.
    My problem is and this. It only seems to be coming mostly from men and I've heard the little lady can't handle a 38' trailer. I was told I should only haul no longer than a 34'. I will have trouble at the gas stations, parking at trailer parks it would just be too much for me and one man's final words were "mark my words". I will plan my routes ahead of time and pick camgrounds with pull through sites (I can back it up if I have to no problem).
    How does everyone else deal with issues hauling a trailer\5th wheel with a length of 38"? What tips do I need to make our trips safe and our retirement enjoyable?

Case
    Gender means nothing. Training, planning, preparation, practice, praying - All excellent suggestions. The only thing I haven't seen are suggestions about the hitch. If you haven't purchased a 5th wheel hitch yet, they are not all the same. Some are easier to "Unhitch" than others. Our first hitch was very difficult to open. I am 5'7" and weigh 150 lbs with reasonable upper body strength and I didn't have the power to pull the handle so my husband had to get out of the truck and open it for me. Our new hitch however is much easier to open and I have no trouble doing it myself. Good luck, you will do just fine.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rig is 37'. I do the majority of the driving and all of the backing and parking. My wife will drive on the highway with no difficulty. She chooses not to back or park. I think it's totally silly to say you can't because you're a woman. Not sure what anatomical part I have that would make me a better driver. My suggestion is to go to an empty parking lot with parking lines (church, school, etc). Take some boxes and practice backing and manuevering. Drive on the highway when it's not busy. Get used to the mirrors and just keep track of where vehicles are around you and where your rear tires are on turns. It just takes lots of practice. You're definitely ahead by getting guidance from experienced driver's.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add another perspective to the discussion. I have been driving semis since 1983 and training for the last 10. and also towing rvs for the last 30 years. If you have a spotter for backing in it is a huge advantage, except, do not have the spotter trying to tell you where to go and how to do it. Before you start backing, inspect the site and figure out your game plan. After that the spotter is good for stopping you before you hit something. everybody has different ideas on the best way to back up but your way is going to be the best for you. And as stating earlier in this thread, make sure to swing wide when cornering. If you think you are swinging wide enough go even wider just to make sure until you get lots of experience with towing your rig. And as with all things, you will get more proficient the longer you do it. Enjoy your new life style.

Left The Driveway
    Full timers. Most of our time spent in Austin TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Case
    Well my dear, I would tell you to get different instructors! I served 23 years in the military and let me tell you the women I've worked with were up to the task every bit as well as the men. Unless you have some physical issues that we don't know of, you are just as able to handle RVing as well as any man. Like others have mentioned, make sure you have the proper equipment (hitch, truck, etc), proper license (they differ wildly from state to state as to towing requirements) and insurance. There are places where you can get instructions if you want to go that route. One can never get too much training! Sounds like you are going into this with your eyes open, doing the proper research and planning.
    We have a new Ram 3500 dually towing a Solitude 377mbs, my wife drives all the time. I take naps while she's at the wheel and I feel very comfortable in her abilities.
    Don't let anyone rain on your dreams!
    Bill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Case
    1. One thing I learned was to only drive around 350 miles per day which means, for me, that I can get from one campground to the other and not stop for fuel.
    2. With that said, I leave the trailer at the camp site so when I fuel up, finding a large enough gas station is no worry.
    3. Also, if I find myself needing gas, my wife looks ahead for stations and then looks at a Google satellite view to see what entrance is best for making the stop. This works as long as you have internet available where you are traveling.

I hope these tips help you out!
    CoyoteHauler

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Case
    Kudos to you... We (my wife and I) admire your efforts to pull a big trailer. Ever since we started taking two cars on vacation (one to pull the RV and one to pull our boat), my wife, who had never pulled a trailer before, was pressed into service to pull our boat. She has been pulling 19-21 foot tandem axle boats/trailers for almost 40 years. When she backs the boat down the ramp into the water we can see guys that are watching elbowing their wives and asking why "they" can't do that. There is not a man alive (including me) who can back a boat up better than my wife.

In 2017 my boss let me/us relocate to Florida from Michigan for the winter. A month after we got there we realized that our 38 foot RV was a "camping" trailer, not a "living" trailer. We found and purchase our "deal of the century" Solitude 379FL in nearby Lakeland, Florida. Our problem? Two RV's in Florida and only one truck. I was there working so I couldn't make a trip back to Michigan. Again pressed into service, My wife packed up the dog, connected the 5th wheel to our truck, and pulled the old RV back home to Michigan!
    Of course I was worried about her being alone on the road, but her ability to pull a 9000# RV that far was never in question.

Now for my speech: Don't let anyone tell you that a woman shouldn't pull a large trailer, 5th wheel or otherwise. Women drive school busses and Greyhounds. They pull boats and fly jumbo jets. You will only be limited by your own doubts and fears. Go for it.

Advice?
    1. Don't speed or be in too big of a hurry. I've finally realized that being the slowest guy in the right-hand lane means you don't have to try to pass anyone. That is much less stress and its easier on the vehicle.

2. My biggest fear on the freeway is finding a fuel stop that will allow us to maneuver a 42 foot RV in and out. New gas stations are setting up the pumps with the cars facing the building (so they can see everything), but this precludes getting an RV in or out. I downloaded a file that list every rest area and truck stop between Michigan and Florida. Truck stops may initially feel intimidating, but the truckers will love having you there. If you're not sure what to do, ask someone. Most are very friendly and willing to help.

3. I don't know how high your new RV is, but if its over 11 feet be very aware of what you drive under. If the semi's can go there, so can you. I never even looked at an overpass height sign until I started pulling the Solitude. Yes, you will also hold your breath when you go under an overpass that just looks low! A There are a lot of older bridges over rural roads that are too low.

4. Of course, seek advice and ask questions, and if possible get some practice before you realize that people merging onto the freeway WILL NOT look over their shoulders to see you until its too late!!! (Curs-ed cell phones).

4a. Purchase the biggest-loudest air horn you can buy...the kind that sound like a locomotive engine. I'm not kidding. If someone from #4 above can't bother to look over their shortage then maybe having to change their underwear may make them re-think their driving habits. When my wife (pulling the boat) see someone cut me off she walkie talkies to ask if "I gave them the horn". Don't skimp here. My brother bought a $60 air horn. It sounds like a steamboat whistle. Everybody just laughs... Go big and LOUD!!

5. Plan your stopping distances based on your comfort level and especially the driving conditions. The freeways get immediately slippery when it first starts raining. There is no shame pulling off the freeway if you are uncomfortable with the conditions. Please don't just pull off the freeway because you will not be able to safely accelerate fast enough to merge with the traffic.

6.Again, we commend you for your endeavor. Just be safe and courteous. Maybe we'll see you on the road... Frank and Charlene.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast