User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice I'm like an encyclopedia soaking up all the info I'm getting

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you my list keeps growing on what to buy all great advice though

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the uplifting confidence

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks my co-pilot will have quite a job

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by al_r68 View Post
    Why would you drop down to a 45 or 50 gal Aux tank? Just curious since I plan on getting one. Thanks
    You don't need more than 45 extra gallons to go for 2 days and then there's the weight.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have a 41 foot Solitude 384GK. It is our first RV and we've owned it less than a year.

I was freaked out when I saw the rig hooked to our truck. I had pulled 20ft tandem axle flatbeds before but never anything this length, height and weight. Fortunately I found the RV Driving School on-line. We spent two full days driving with a retired long haul trucker in our rig. Not only did he help us to understand how to pull safely, he also helped us to understand driving etiquette, how to weigh our rig to determine if we are over loaded, what our pin weight is, etc. We spent half a day backing, both straight and into a "typical" space.

My wife did everything I did, so she is confident driving if for some reason I can't.

The most valuable thing our instructor did was help us to learn how to work as a team when backing into a space. He showed my wife what to look for, how to talk me into the space, etc. He taught me how to listen and ask for what I need. It has saved us multiple arguments. Most recently, we were given a VERY tight space with retaining walls on three sides at a state park. We managed to get the rig squeezed into the space, without any cross words... only to find out that we couldn't deploy our stairs because of the retaining wall. We safely pulled out and got another space.

We are finding that in Texas there are many state parks with spaces large enough for our rig. We stop at large stations only to ensure we have plenty of room to maneuver. If it looks "iffy" we go on to another station. We use Gas Buddy to help us pick stations.

I'm not sure where you live, but I was surprised to find that for our weight, we are required to get a Class A drivers license (combined gross weight of 26k lbs & trailer GVRW greater than 10k lbs)
    Last edited by cabannaboy; 12-06-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Jim & Laura

2016 Solitude 384GK
    2017 Ford F350 FX4 DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a joke I said to my travel partner I was going to buy her a fluorescent vest and lights like they guide planes with; she didn't think that was so funny. I probably will do it on my own she has tried before to help me guide my little utility trailer to hitch it up and she wasn't even close.
    Thanks for the advice regarding the slideouts. The first time I probably would have backed or pulled in right on the property line to be close to services before I went that was dumb.
    Thanks to all for all your encouragement everyone has been great!
    Case24

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know who told you women can only handle a 34' trailer, but they should visit the local truck stop. Many women are handling 54' trailers there. Get what you are comfortable with. 30-35' is about as long as you want to be in national forest and state campgrounds. Practice before you hit the road. Enjoy and have fun!
    2018 Reflection 307MKS
    2017 F-250 King Ranch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm coming into this discussion a little late, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents worth. We just recently took our first long trip from Central Texas to Utah and back. When we got to Muleshoe Tx, my DW said she wanted to drive to Albuquerque. Most of you who have traveled in New Mexico know the roads aren't the greatest, but she took the wheel and it was hard to get her to take a break. She loved driving the 5th wheel. She drove to Albuquerque. Then part way from Moab to Park City and most of the way from Tropic UT to Flagstaff AZ.

As other post have said, most ladies can drive a 5th wheel, combat vehicle, long haul trailer and probably anything else that they decide to.

My advise is to relax, enjoy the ride. We started the DW driving around the high school football stadium, then around the neighborhood. The more she drove the better and more relaxed she got.

I may never get to drive again!!
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast