User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Faith in my Abilities

I purchased my truck a Ram 3500 6.7L Diesel 4x4 already and plan on purchasing a 2020 Grand Design 38' 5th Wheel BHS311 in the spring and becoming a full timer. A friend and I are retiring selling everything and going on the road. She will not be driving the unit at all. I have some experience with a tent camper and I have worked with a utility trailer for years. I extremely handy and versatile. I plan to have two gentlemen who drive transport to go out with me for training.
    My problem is and this. It only seems to be coming mostly from men and I've heard the little lady can't handle a 38' trailer. I was told I should only haul no longer than a 34'. I will have trouble at the gas stations, parking at trailer parks it would just be too much for me and one man's final words were "mark my words". I will plan my routes ahead of time and pick camgrounds with pull through sites (I can back it up if I have to no problem).
    How does everyone else deal with issues hauling a trailer\5th wheel with a length of 38"? What tips do I need to make our trips safe and our retirement enjoyable?

Case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most private campgrounds are not an issue for that size, but it might be too large for some state parks. My travel trailer is 38 feet and I just look for truck stops to get diesel. I have only stayed in back in sites and have never had an issue.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 5th wheel at 38 feet is about 8 feet shorter then a 38 foot pull trailer. About 8 feet is in your bed, and not hanging off the rear bumper. Easy to pull IMO. I have a 311 BHS and love it. Your truck has an 8 foot bed, right? I hope so...
    Last edited by phonemannn; 11-26-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a very towable length! You already have one thing down - planning! You're also getting some instruction. Depending how the free lessons go, consider a school - there are several. Get your combination and set it up properly - meaning good hitch, towing level, know your weights, have and memorize a pre-road checklist. Get yourself Good Sam Roadside Assistance and make sure you've got the proper registration and insurance for your situation. Then get out to a big empty parking lot and practice! Practice a lot. Learn your truck and your truck towing. Learn how your trailer responds to each step of turning your steering wheel. Build your confidence by initially booking and staying at campgrounds with pull-throughs. It's all about gaining experience through practice. Simple as that! BTW - women naturally have better hand-eye coordination. I'm also from farm country and live back in it, and there are PLENTY of women running the farm equipment and running semis around these parts!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    It's a very towable length! You already have one thing down - planning! You're also getting some instruction. Depending how the free lessons go, consider a school - there are several. Get your combination and set it up properly - meaning good hitch, towing level, know your weights, have and memorize a pre-road checklist. Get yourself Good Sam Roadside Assistance and make sure you've got the proper registration and insurance for your situation. Then get out to a big empty parking lot and practice! Practice a lot. Learn your truck and your truck towing. Learn how your trailer responds to each step of turning your steering wheel. Build your confidence by initially booking and staying at campgrounds with pull-throughs. It's all about gaining experience through practice. Simple as that! BTW - women naturally have better hand-eye coordination. I'm also from farm country and live back in it, and there are PLENTY of women running the farm equipment and running semis around these parts!
    Good advice....An 8 foot bed,right?
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find some different men to get advice from. There are a lot of men that have trouble driving a fifth wheel of any size. Find an empty parking lot and practice. Always make wide square turns and don’t forget to look for over head obstructions like trees.

Quote Originally Posted by case24 View Post
    I purchased my truck a Ram 3500 6.7L Diesel 4x4 already and plan on purchasing a 2020 Grand Design 38' 5th Wheel BHS311 in the spring and becoming a full timer. A friend and I are retiring selling everything and going on the road. She will not be driving the unit at all. I have some experience with a tent camper and I have worked with a utility trailer for years. I extremely handy and versatile. I plan to have two gentlemen who drive transport to go out with me for training.
    My problem is and this. It only seems to be coming mostly from men and I've heard the little lady can't handle a 38' trailer. I was told I should only haul no longer than a 34'. I will have trouble at the gas stations, parking at trailer parks it would just be too much for me and one man's final words were "mark my words". I will plan my routes ahead of time and pick camgrounds with pull through sites (I can back it up if I have to no problem).
    How does everyone else deal with issues hauling a trailer\5th wheel with a length of 38"? What tips do I need to make our trips safe and our retirement enjoyable?

Case

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen women truck drivers at truck stops so companies hire them all the time. You have to be aware of what you are doing and realize the trailer may not track behind the tow vehicle. 5th wheels cut shorter and are slower to accept changes in direction when backing up. Just go to a mall early some morning and have at it. You will learn this!!

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J&J said it best.....don't listen to the nay sayers or take it as a challenge. My wife never towed anything in her life and pulled our 42' Momentum a couple of times for several hundred miles (just to see if she could do it). I kept telling her "you can do it.....sex has nothing to do with it" You should get away from those men that you're a threat to.

There's a couple of tips.....take all of your corners wide (just like the big trucks do). If you're hooked up then get your fuel at truck stops. In the evening when you're in an RV park, unhook and go get fuel at the local station. It all becomes second nature.

A Garmin RV GPS has most truck stops and RV parks in the data base so easy to locate.

Get some plastic cones (Home Depot or Lowes) and go to a large parking lot and practice, practice, practice. You'll be fine!
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towing a large 5th Wheel has nothing to do with a person’s gender. Strength is not the issue. Most women are afraid to tow because they lack confidence; and, confidence comes from practice, encouragement, and skill building. Many great tips have already been given on how to do this. I am a woman who has towed a 39 foot and now a 41 foot 5th Wheel all over the country and have backed into many sites by myself. The key is practice, taking your time, and confidence. I find a little prayer always helps too!
    USMC (Retired); Full Time (07/2012)
    2018 Solitude 377 MBS-R
    Morryde ID Susp, 8K Axles, Disk Brakes, Solar System
    2011 Chevy 3500 DRW, B&W Companion Hitch, Titan 60 Gallon Tank

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look Left. Look Right. But don't forget to Look Up!!!!! That's my advice--from experience.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast