User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goose box hitching mod

The first modification I did to my first (and current) 5er was change the factory pin box to a Goose Box. The primary reason was to have an unobstructed truck bed when not towing. I also read good things about the improved towing characteristics. The one problem that I didn’t care for was the difficulty in knowing when the hitch was over the ball. Even with a factory cargo camera (and the help of my significant other) it took longer than I liked to get it right. I will be traveling for the first year or two of retirement solo, most of the time (wife plans to work two more years) . So I installed a camera in the truck bed , over the wheel well that points at the goose ball. What a difference ! I now can see exactly when I need to stop. I picked up the power for the camera by tapping into the bed/cargo light wiring, so when I want the camera to come on , I just hit the light button on the dashboard and the camera comes on. I already had the observation camera and my display accepts up to four cameras. If you’re running a Goose Box set up I highly recommend this mod.
    Chuck & Trish
    2017 350M
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW
    2014 HD Roadking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Backforty View Post
    The first modification I did to my first (and current) 5er was change the factory pin box to a Goose Box. The primary reason was to have an unobstructed truck bed when not towing. I also read good things about the improved towing characteristics. The one problem that I didn’t care for was the difficulty in knowing when the hitch was over the ball. Even with a factory cargo camera (and the help of my significant other) it took longer than I liked to get it right. I will be traveling for the first year or two of retirement solo, most of the time (wife plans to work two more years) . So I installed a camera in the truck bed , over the wheel well that points at the goose ball. What a difference ! I now can see exactly when I need to stop. I picked up the power for the camera by tapping into the bed/cargo light wiring, so when I want the camera to come on , I just hit the light button on the dashboard and the camera comes on. I already had the observation camera and my display accepts up to four cameras. If you’re running a Goose Box set up I highly recommend this mod.
    Chuck,

Which camera system did you use?
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Furrion with the 5” display. I used the camera that is intended for the entry door, it looks identical to the rear observation camera.
    Chuck & Trish
    2017 350M
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW
    2014 HD Roadking