Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessories for Fifth Wheel

New Solitude 310 GK ordered and will be delivered in February or March. We sold a travel trailer and have all the basics accessories.

What accessories will we need that we didn’t need with a travel trailer for a fifth wheel? Already picked out a hitch (goosebox).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50A Progressive Industries EMS (hardwired or portable, either is better than none, both have their pros and cons), not really 5th wheel specific though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hitch stabilizer is nice to have. If you’re going full time a vinyl skirt system is nice too.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowbug View Post
    New Solitude 310 GK ordered and will be delivered in February or March. We sold a travel trailer and have all the basics accessories. What accessories will we need that we didn’t need with a travel trailer for a fifth wheel? Already picked out a hitch (goosebox).
    Probably a better air pump for your tires... they're 110 psi. Possibly a better jack to handle the weight.

Some people buy stabilizer stands to park under the pin when they're camping... I haven't.

On our Reflection the dealer made a point of telling us that he was adding a MaxxFan cover for the bathroom vent. We got one on the Solitude too but I don't know if it was a dealer-provided thing or if it comes standard.

The factory-provided sound and DVD player are on the far side of awful. Consider getting a sound bar (Visio at Costco for under $200) and a Blu-ray player.

That's just the start. You'll be back asking about battery systems, solar charging systems, inverter/chargers, monitors, generators, bike racks... Everyone here will encourage you because it's comforting when others join you in your folly... makes you seem a little less crazy to yourself.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessories for Fifth Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Probably a better air pump for your tires... they're 110 psi. Possibly a better jack to handle the weight.

Some people buy stabilizer stands to park under the pin when they're camping... I haven't.

On our Reflection the dealer made a point of telling us that he was adding a MaxxFan cover for the bathroom vent. We got one on the Solitude too but I don't know if it was a dealer-provided thing or if it comes standard.

The factory-provided sound and DVD player are on the far side of awful. Consider getting a sound bar (Visio at Costco for under $200) and a Blu-ray player.

That's just the start. You'll be back asking about battery systems, solar charging systems, inverter/chargers, monitors, generators, bike racks... Everyone here will encourage you because it's comforting when others join you in your folly... makes you seem a little less crazy to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What air compressor would you Recommend?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowbug View Post
    What air compressor would you Recommend?
    For a portable, the one below. I have it, works well.

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/450p-rv-auto

If you want to build it into your truck I'm not sure which one to recommend. I had one (don't remember which model but it was a VIAIR) built into the truck when we bought our Reflection with 80psi tires, still have it there but it was a 100psi pump. Having that system upgraded to one that could manage the 110psi tires was going to cost hundreds of dollars more than buying a portable, so I bought the portable above. Kinda sorry I did that... hauling out the portable and hooking up to battery and putting it all away are little annoyances after being able to just plug a hose under the bumper of the truck. But... I'm almost retired, I shouldn't grumble.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    For a portable, the one below. I have it, works well.

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/450p-rv-auto

If you want to build it into your truck I'm not sure which one to recommend. I had one (don't remember which model but it was a VIAIR) built into the truck when we bought our Reflection with 80psi tires, still have it there but it was a 100psi pump. Having that system upgraded to one that could manage the 110psi tires was going to cost hundreds of dollars more than buying a portable, so I bought the portable above. Kinda sorry I did that... hauling out the portable and hooking up to battery and putting it all away are little annoyances after being able to just plug a hose under the bumper of the truck. But... I'm almost retired, I shouldn't grumble.
    When it comes to powering up that Viair, I hated using the battery clamps, I also hated having to lift the hood on the truck to get to the battery and keep the engine running.

So, what I did, was cut off the battery clamps and install a 7-pin connector and wired the Viair to the 12 volt pins. Now I can just plug the Viair into my 7-pin connector and start the truck (if necessary).

At least that was the theory, what I found out was that the "Trailer Power/12 volt" pins were not activated on my truck unless the computer sensed the trailer brakes as being present (sometimes they make things too complicated). So, to solve this issue, I added an extra 7-pin connector onto the bumper of my truck and wired it for 12 volts (only) and tied it into my 40 amp up-fitter switch in the cab. Without the up-fitter switches I would have added the circuit using a relay to switch the 40 amp circuit.

Now, I have 12 volt power at the back of the truck for whatever I need.

I also plan to install a 7-pin female connector onto the camper so I can run the compressor directly off the camper batteries.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconding the Progressive Industries EMS as accessory #1 !

For the compressor, only reliable units IME are VIAIR. TechnoRV has a great Black Friday-Cyber Monday on them. I've had VIAIRs since the 80s. In fact, the second one I ever bought is still in my arsenal - each of our vehicles has one.

Get yourself a set of SnapPads IMO.

Up-size the fire extinguisher and put one in the bedroom!

Oxygenics shower head.

You'll probably find most of your different needs center around storage.

Good luck!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also recommend the Progressive EMS unit. In addition I would suggest the Mopeka propane monitors for each tank. Pretty accurate once you have them set up and they Bluetooth through your cell phone.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    I also recommend the Progressive EMS unit. In addition I would suggest the Mopeka propane monitors for each tank. Pretty accurate once you have them set up and they Bluetooth through your cell phone.
    @Sowbug I got these monitors when we had our Reflection and I really liked them.

When we traded up I put them on the tanks in the Solitude but both soon failed. The propane tank bays in the Solitude are open to the road below (the Reflection's had full floors). I taped the monitors to the tanks, not only to ensure that they didn't bounce off onto the road but also to try to protect them from moisture. Nevertheless moisture got in (or condensation formed inside the Gorilla tape) and both sensor units failed within a couple of months. Dried them out - they were damp, not soaked - and put in new batteries, no joy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast