User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open port on furnace blasting heat behind cabinets. Can I cover it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30096226-BD99-4086-9CDB-820DFFE8923B.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	23684

While diagnosing a water leak in my 2018 2500RL, I noticed that there was a ton of hot air blowing around. It’s coming from the huge hole in the furnace. Looks like a port to hook a hose to, but there’s no hose, so it’s just blowing out behind the kitchen cabinets. Wasting heat, and lowering pressure through the rest of the system.

Does anyone know if it’s this way by design, or can I block it off? I assume if I block it off my airflow will increase out the vents.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely not normal. That hole should be covered. Look around the area for a metal cover that fell off, if you can't find that, you can buy metal plates at the hardware store and cover them using short sheet metal screws to fasten. Just make sure there is nothing for the screws to puncture. You can also buy metal (foil) tape and cover it.

Another track is to call your dealer and tell them a port cover is missing, they may ship you one.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't done it yet, take a good look around and make sure there isn't another hose that fell off or was never put on. The basement area in these units are a mess of wires, hoses and duct work. After spending time in my distribution area, the level of finished product is extremely disappointing.

Gordon Fuchs
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    If you haven't done it yet, take a good look around and make sure there isn't another hose that fell off or was never put on. The basement area in these units are a mess of wires, hoses and duct work. After spending time in my distribution area, the level of finished product is extremely disappointing. Gordon Fuchs
    Ditto @DieselDork. Our first GD trailer was an HVAC tech's horror with stuff falling off / falling apart, kinked, torn...

A roll of good-quality foil tape can cover many sins and probably improve the efficiency of your furnace.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the airflow to the existing connected vents is low, can you tell if any of them have no air flow? As noted above, I’d block the hole, run the furnace to see if air does flow from all the vents in the trailer. You can’t see the “crawl space” vent but could check all the others.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for all the quick replies!! We’re currently at the campground. I’ve dug all around and can’t find the cover; if there ever was one. There’s gentle airflow from all the ducts, but I can’t help but think it would be stronger if I seal up this 4” hole. I could conceivably rig up a cover with some jb weld or some sheet metal screws. I’ve found a few covers on ebay for under $10. Think I’ll just order one of them. In the meantime, we just took the top drawer out. Much warmer in here.

Thanks again!
    Happy Camping!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I used our new Imagine for the first time a few weeks ago. We had items in ziplock bags in the drawer over the furnace and found that it was so hot it was melting the bags together. I am definitely going to pull the drawers next week when we go back out and see where the hot air is coming from. We kept the drawers open and, overall, the trailer was plenty warm throughout. Even when the temp dropped to the 30s. I am hoping I find a similar open hole I can cover to stop the loss of all the hot air in that area.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDork View Post
    Thank you so much for all the quick replies!! We’re currently at the campground. I’ve dug all around and can’t find the cover; if there ever was one. There’s gentle airflow from all the ducts, but I can’t help but think it would be stronger if I seal up this 4” hole. I could conceivably rig up a cover with some jb weld or some sheet metal screws. I’ve found a few covers on ebay for under $10. Think I’ll just order one of them. In the meantime, we just took the top drawer out. Much warmer in here.

Thanks again!
    Happy Camping!
    A few thoughts before you cover. Curios there is a hole but there is no flange to attach a flexible duct. It wouldn't be the first time a TT was built with open ducting. Could the hole be a return or do you feel warm air blowing out when the heat is on? Are there any ports not having positive air flow? I doubt it but is it intentional that the open port is an indirect heat duct allowing warmth by conduction/convection/radiation?
    Rather than commit to a permanent fix with JB Weld why not make a blanking plate with a foam gasket and screws so it could be undone.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.