User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading to GD in Oregon

Howdy from Oregon. We went looking for a used trailer and ended up buying a new 337RLS. We actually found a really nice 2014 Solitude that was well cared for and priced well but it was a little big for our truck so we ended up passing on it. We had some specific needs/wants and the 337 pretty much check all of the boxes. The used ones we found were a little too used and were few and far between so we bit the bullet in ordered a new one.

We've had a travel trailer for a couple of years so we've now got a good idea of what will work for us. I'm a truck camper guy but wife can't seem to the get past the high cost of a truck camper with slides and the smaller space. The GD is a little bigger than I would have liked but given our future homelessness for 6-8 months we felt this would be the better choice. New rig is due at the end of December. Anyway I'll be popping in here to read up and the do's, don'ts and whatnot's. Sure wish Oregon would let me pull doubles so I could bring the boat along...

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcom to the board. the 337 is a nice layout and should keep you comfortable. We manage 6 months in a 303 that is a few feet shorter without killing each other!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your purchase and lots of happy travels in it. We started our full-timing in a large 3-slide truck camper and enjoyed it. To your wife's observation on cost, it is true TC's are per foot mores costly than a 5th wheel, but for us it was the mobility that was most important to us.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrunner View Post
    Howdy from Oregon. We went looking for a used trailer and ended up buying a new 337RLS. We actually found a really nice 2014 Solitude that was well cared for and priced well but it was a little big for our truck so we ended up passing on it. We had some specific needs/wants and the 337 pretty much check all of the boxes. The used ones we found were a little too used and were few and far between so we bit the bullet in ordered a new one.

We've had a travel trailer for a couple of years so we've now got a good idea of what will work for us. I'm a truck camper guy but wife can't seem to the get past the high cost of a truck camper with slides and the smaller space. The GD is a little bigger than I would have liked but given our future homelessness for 6-8 months we felt this would be the better choice. New rig is due at the end of December. Anyway I'll be popping in here to read up and the do's, don'ts and whatnot's. Sure wish Oregon would let me pull doubles so I could bring the boat along...
    What dealer did you buy from? Keep an eye on them. Some need a little push once in a while. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Congrats on your purchase and lots of happy travels in it. We started our full-timing in a large 3-slide truck camper and enjoyed it. To your wife's observation on cost, it is true TC's are per foot mores costly than a 5th wheel, but for us it was the mobility that was most important to us.
    Yes that is what I keep saying especially with a boat. I do have a Four Wheel popup camper that will have to do for those purely fishing/boating trips.

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    What dealer did you buy from? Keep an eye on them. Some need a little push once in a while. KEN
    We bought from BYoung in Milwaukie. They we OK and were no pressure. We talked to a dealer near Eugene the same day and they were pushy. They also started out at MSRP and it wasn't until I got up that the price started to come down. I mean really, I was born at night, but not last night to steal a quote. I think we paid a little more than we should have but everyone said they can't keep on the lot and the shipping to get it out here is expensive. I really wanted to buy local but I couldn't make it work. Northwood would have got a consideration but then the one that would have been comparable was too heavy like the Solitude. I think we will be happy with it and I have high hopes for a quality unit. fingers crossed...
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrunner View Post
    Yes that is what I keep saying especially with a boat. I do have a Four Wheel popup camper that will have to do for those purely fishing/boating trips.

We bought from BYoung in Milwaukie. They we OK and were no pressure. We talked to a dealer near Eugene the same day and they were pushy. They also started out at MSRP and it wasn't until I got up that the price started to come down. I mean really, I was born at night, but not last night to steal a quote. I think we paid a little more than we should have but everyone said they can't keep on the lot and the shipping to get it out here is expensive. I really wanted to buy local but I couldn't make it work. Northwood would have got a consideration but then the one that would have been comparable was too heavy like the Solitude. I think we will be happy with it and I have high hopes for a quality unit. fingers crossed...
    fingers crossed...

We have purchased a Momentum and then our 2018 374TH-R Solitude from RV Country in Coburg, Oregon. I knew the numbers before going into the dealership. We had troubles with the service and had to push real hard with the help of GD.
    I have heard that Byoung is VERY difficult to get service done in a timely manor.
    Good luck, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... I've heard mixed reviews on BY as well. The economy is good and RV's are selling well so I don't think customer service is high on the priority list. RV country was the place I mentioned near Eugene. Wife also contacted a couple of the Bluedog stores over east and the one the returned her call was an interesting conversation to say the least. They pretty much said BY and RVC were going to screw us on the trade/financing so we better go with them. HAHA... OK...

Rich
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)