User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furnace turns on, but only briefly

Hello, first post here. New, like brand new to FT life, and its gotten a bit chilly in the desert. Our furnace is being rather fickle, as it will come on almost instantly, run for maybe ten minutes and a bit of heat comes out. Then it shuts off well short of temp setting and never restarts on it's own. The whole time you hear the blower and bursts of flame and the ignitor clicking. Have tried both full propane tanks, but problem persists. Any help?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a bad limit switch. I assume you have a Grand Design RV... do you know what make and model your furnace is? It's listed on the equipment sheet with the RV paperwork.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bad limit switch will usually result in the furnace blower motor starting, running for about 30-45 seconds, then it shuts off. You won't hear it attempt to ignite. If it fails during operation, it will shut down the unit. I replace our limit switch every 2 years. They cost about $6 and due to the metal flexing over time they tend to break, and it usually happens on the coldest night of the year. Ask me how I know.

I'd first check the propane supply into the trailer. Keep in mind the pressure may drop in very cold temps. If you light a burner on your stovetop, does it stay consistent?

If no propane issues, I'd look at the flame sense electrode. control board, or propane valve on the furnace.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-30-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainpetard View Post
    Hello, first post here. New, like brand new to FT life, and its gotten a bit chilly in the desert. Our furnace is being rather fickle, as it will come on almost instantly, run for maybe ten minutes and a bit of heat comes out. Then it shuts off well short of temp setting and never restarts on it's own. The whole time you hear the blower and bursts of flame and the ignitor clicking. Have tried both full propane tanks, but problem persists. Any help?
    We just had the exact same issue. Ours was resolved with a new dinosaur fan 50 control board put in by a mobile tech.
    Joe & Melissa
    2018 Solitude 310GK, Sailun S637’s, Morryde 7k IS
    2021 Ram Bighorn 3500 DRW 4x4
    Southwest Missouri

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the insights. The stove and oven work perfectly. time to start poking around.

Left The Driveway
    McNeill, Mis & Orlando (where all the kids and grandkids live)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm following this as ours is doing the same. It will run briefly. I go outside and check and the furnace is lit and blowing hot air out the vent. A couple of minutes later it stops. Fortunately we are way down South where it doesn't get real cold but we live in ours and can't drop it off till someone can look at it. I Googled the Dino50 and have the website stored.

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a propane hose under the kitchen slide on my and other GD owners that when the slide is out is pulls the hose and kinks it, which cuts off propane flow. You only have to go under and pull it for more slack and you will be good.
    Another item that if the people that make our beloved trailers would camp in them some of these small, niggling problems would not be problems.
    I will buy another GD though, dont get me wrong....

DD.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out that, miraculously, there was a mobile RV tech that lived not 10 minutes away. As I live in McNeill, MS on the back side of nowhere, this was almost astounding to my sensibilities. Anyway, I cleaned out the garage, opened it up, took off the cover and had it ready when he got there. I turned it on, it did it's thing- started, ran for a short while, made a "whomp" sound and shut down just like it has been doing. "Dirty" he declared and started taking it out. Sure enough when he opened up the panel with the igniter, there was a huge dirt dobber nest attached. He cleaned it out. Put everything back together and it ran perfectly.
    I'm really glad I didn't tear into it, buy a board or igniter, or anything dumb like that. I asked him how much, he said $97.50. I wrote him a check for $125 (and damn glad to do so) and told him I was going to have him back for some inspection and maintenance stuff after the first of the year.
    All's well that ends well.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi DD. I read your message right after you posted it, and I looked at our hose. Nowhere near the slide so I let it go. It's been in the 20s here at night so I gave another look. Well, the gas line must have had too much slack so they twisted it up so tight that it crimped it. Spun that sucker around a couple times, bent the line so that ot was straight and boom. Heat!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another heater related issue that is related to the kinked hose above (sorta anyway) was our leaking regulator. We got the dirt dobber nest cleaned out of the furnace and it was working fine then it started doing the same thing again- not staying lit. But simultaneously we noticed the propane smell around the tanks was worse than usual so I got out my spray bottle and found the regulator was leaking pretty badly. After replacing the regulator/tank switch the heater started working again. Apparently it doesn't take a lot of restriction or reduced flow (either by pinched or kinked hose or leaking regulator) to cause the heater to malfunction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast