Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hensley Arrow Owners Beware!

Have you ever found a product to be TOO good?

These hitches are.

They are SO good at turning sharply that they will twist the spring hangers, throwing the axles out of alignment if you turn too tightly backing on a hard surface.

Ask me how I know, $1100 later.

I had to have both axles dropped and all hangers replaced.

DON'T TURN TOO SHARPLY WHILE BACKING ON A HARD SURFACE!

Now, back to your normal programming.....
    Last edited by Najataagihe; 11-30-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. We had a Hensley Arrow on a previous TT and a Hensley Cub prior to that and yes the turning capability is impressive, though I had only a couple of occasions of using it, though not the entire range, so no issues for us.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing that it's more a by product of cheap Lippert spring hangers than the WDH. You can turn sharp with almost all WDH's. I've owned 3 TT's and a 5er. Been able to turn very sharp with all of them. Especially the 5er. Never once bent a spring hanger. Reading through some threads on here it seems as though Lippert frames are cheaply made. Lippert has had issues industry wide with 5th wheel frames flexing and causing cracks at the bed slide. Too much outsourced cheap Chinese metal.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely the spring hangers.

The point being, since the hitch will allow the trailer to turn so sharply that it will bend them if the tires have a grip on solid pavement, DON'T TURN TOO SHARPLY ON HARD PAVEMENT!

The hitch is fine.

It's the soft metal of the hangers that is the problem.

My fear is that, since the Westlakes could get enough grip to twist the hangers, how easy will it be with the Goodyear Endurance tires?

"Caution" would seem to be the watchword, here.

2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    Have you ever found a product to be TOO good?

These hitches are.

They are SO good at turning sharply that they will twist the spring hangers, throwing the axles out of alignment if you turn too tightly backing on a hard surface.

Ask me how I know, $1100 later.

I had to have both axles dropped and all hangers replaced.

DON'T TURN TOO SHARPLY WHILE BACKING ON A HARD SURFACE!

Now, back to your normal programming.....

I'm still a Newbie at RVing (We picked up our first trailer in May 2019) and I too use a Hensley hitch. So I can't say if I've turned too sharply or not, I just don't know... Having said that, I haven't noticed anything odd or unusual when towing, so I assume that I'm still okay. Just in case and for future reference I'm wondering what were the symptoms of the twisted spring hangers?

Thanks

Bob

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I'm still a Newbie at RVing (We picked up our first trailer in May 2019) and I too use a Hensley hitch.
    First, congratulations on getting a super-safe setup for your first rig.

It makes a HUGE difference in safety and towing comfort.

I haven't noticed anything odd or unusual when towing, so I assume that I'm still okay.
    You won't, so you can't.

The design of the hitch won't let this problem affect handling, so you can't assume there are no problems.

That is why the pre-travel walk-around check (The Circle of Safety) is vital with these setups.

You have to LOOK for problems, because the hitch will negate the effects of them, while towing.

Just in case and for future reference I'm wondering what were the symptoms of the twisted spring hangers?
    This is your first clue:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D02_0126.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	24139

Note the worn area on the tread only on one side of the tire.

This means your axles are out of alignment, which can only happen if suspension components are bent.

The companion tire on the other side of this axle had BOTH steel belts showing - a disaster waiting to happen.

I thought my axles were bent.

It turns out the brackets that hold the springs were bent and all had to be torn off and new ones welded on.

if you look closely at the rear spring bracket (that upside-down U-shaped piece with a bolt through it to which the end of the spring is attached), you can see where it was bent (twisted).

It doesn't take much deformity to ruin alignment.

I would avoid turning any sharper than 35-45 degrees when backing on hard surfaces like asphalt or concrete.

A softer surface, such as gravel, grass or dirt, should allow the tires to scrub without getting enough grip to twist the hangers.

Welcome to the world of RV'ing!

You are going to love it!

Holler, if we (here on the forum) can help.

That's why we are here.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Najataagihe; 01-04-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap hanger construction. Plain and simple. Most any WDH will allow sharp turns.

Your post should read. Imagine Owners Beware.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Cheap hanger construction. Plain and simple. Most any WDH will allow sharp turns.

Your post should read. Imagine Owners Beware.
    You are assuming that Lippert does NOT use the same soft steel in the Reflection series chassis.

I would not bet on that.

Also, I have never seen any other WDH that will turn as sharply as a Hensley or ProPride.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    You are assuming that Lippert does NOT use the same soft steel in the Reflection series chassis.

I would not bet on that.

Also, I have never seen any other WDH that will turn as sharply as a Hensley or ProPride.
    IIRC the Reflection hangers are thicker.
    Not disagreeing that the HA caused the hanger to bend. But if the hanger was thicker and the proper frame stiffeners were added your HA would not bend the hangers.
    How many times have you tight turned your Imagine?
    Could be worse. You could have an Imagine with the wide track axle setup where some MFG's spread th axle far apart. Couple that with weak spring hangers and an HA and it would be a recipe for disaster.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Najataagihe I agree that the Hensley designed hitches are worth the money. Last summer and fall I put over 4000 miles on the trailer without a single issue. Great info, thanks for the full description and picture! When it stops raining (hopefully someday) I'll get under our trailer and I'll look the suspension over. Hopefully I won't see anything odd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast