User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front CAP LED Lights

Front CAP LED Lights
    2019-384GK - Front cap LED Lights is melting, has anyone else seen the same issues? Wondering if the LED light strip was only for interior use only.
    Factors listed below
    • Unit owned less than a year
    • Washed only twice with Camco Wash & Wax Cleaner
    • Unit stored under carport cover as shown in photo, exposed to sunlight 2 hours at sunset
    Will replace myself because Holliday World of Houston's too difficult to deal with, like the other issues I've had to address on this new unit. Any recommendations on LED light strip replacement?
    Happy Thanksgiving weekend to All
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-01-12-19-06-41-1.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	608.7 KB 
ID:	23709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-01-12-19-06-41.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	682.2 KB 
ID:	23710

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do a search, I'm pretty sure you'll find the same reported by others. The particular design selected by GD is what is appropriate for exterior use. The problem is you never know what you get from overseas manufacturing even though you specify stringently. I've experienced this when I've ordered this same style of LED for other applications from a very reputable reseller.

I am sure GD will make it right.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had the exact same on our 310 at about 15 months. GD customer service did approve replacement as a warranty issue.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD sent me replacement strips. They peel off pretty easily but you need to use goo gone or other glue remover to clean up the adhesive. I also used a plastic putty knife to try and scrape off as much as possible after softening it with the goo gone. Takes a while. Clamp off the wiring when you remove the old strips to make sure they don't fall back into the cap. Also cut the old strip wires as close to the strip as you can to leave plenty of extra for rewiring the new ones. Sticking the new ones on was easy. Then seal the wire holes and the ends of the strips with silicone.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in Florida. After 3 replacements due to melting, we gave up and just removed them. Coach looks fine without them. The lights under the Coach still work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the same issue with the curb side strip melting. I spoke with Grand Design customer service and was told our 2018 Solitude 310GK is out of warranty. Basically he just let me go and said I can order a new one if I want.

This was my first dealing with Grand Design customer service / support and it was lack luster at best.

Anyone have any tips on how to get them to at least send me a replacement strip?? I can install it myself.

Thanks!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LED light strips are relatively cheap. If it was me I would search them out on the internet and buy the strip that has a good water proof rating. You should be able to solder your current wiring to the new strip. Also you can get them any color you want. When I was into rc airplanes I bought many strips for converting a plane into night flying mode.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used something like this one as a patio light on my last rig.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...terproof/5602/

It held up very well for two years. Comes in all kinds of configurations, colors, etc. Just look for the highest IP rating you can find. I've used these guys for all kinds of lighting projects and they've always done me we'll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boogie lights are one of the only led strips that are rated for exterior use. The ones grand design uses are cheap and for interior use only. I would not replace them with the same ones. They will do the same thing quickly.