User Tag List

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    They actually had scales out and were weighing rv's?
    I have seen them doing just that....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like they were just looking at the stickers for GVWR and then seeing if truck was capable of the GVWR of the trailer. That, to me, I would think would be contestable. My truck doesn't have to be capable of handling the full GVWR of the trailer, it only has to be capable of handling the trailer at the weight I have it loaded to.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually had scales out and were weighing rv's?
    Don't confuse weight police inspections familiar to commercial drivers versus safety inspections that may or may not have scaling done and apply to all. PA has these flavors since we're a safety inspection State, and I should mention we both wore PA plates. If you want a fun squirrel, read the promulgated language about weigh stations in PA and decide what the letter of it says for recreational vehicles... Heck, up until this year 5er owners had to register combination. Thankfully we had some great RV dealers lobby that be changed saving much $!

Anyway, I really don't know if they scaled them or found a registration class mismatch drawing an on-paper conclusion for citation. I can tell you it was a 2500 Duramax and there was no Class 2 sticker on the windshield, which is what a 2500 would start at here, when we drove around them. Also, about a year, maybe two now, you can no longer register your truck at a lower rating legally in PA. I can also tell you if you don't have the proper Class DL for your rig, and the officer realizes this, you have to have it moved by one who does.

For PA, fellow dually owners can thank hot-shot haulers for Troopers paying closer attention along truck routes! I have been stopped three different times the last year and a half hauling my big enclosed car trailer across the State to verify I'm not hauling commercial. I've owned the trailer 8 years and never stopped prior.

As for the signature, I do have one. It only shows when posting in advanced from the mobile platform, which I rarely do favoring quick replies.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Sounds to me like they were just looking at the stickers for GVWR and then seeing if truck was capable of the GVWR of the trailer. That, to me, I would think would be contestable. My truck doesn't have to be capable of handling the full GVWR of the trailer, it only has to be capable of handling the trailer at the weight I have it loaded to.

Mike
    None of that is determinable by looking a stickers. The sticker on the trailer doesn't even state the empty pin weight so no way to determine truck weight without scales. My guess by the details provided is that they were conducting spot safety checks (check the chains and whatnot) and looking at the stickers to make sure the vehicles were registered properly. At least here you have to be plated to at least the GVWR of the truck and or trailer. (which is the reason Ford offers de-rating options) We had a big push around here a couple of years ago with plow trucks with salt spreaders. People were running B plates (under 8K) to avoid the (at the time) twice annual safety lane requirement and cheaper registration. A bunch of tickets were written but none had anything to do with the payload sticker. They were for running over their registered weight.

Every time I have looked into "overweight" tickets its always turned out to be for over registered weight. The state wants their money. Still have yet to hear of a single case of a overweight situation related to the payload sticker.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of that is determinable by looking a stickers. The sticker on the trailer doesn't even state the empty pin weight so no way to determine truck weight without scales. My guess by the details provided is that they were conducting spot safety checks (check the chains and whatnot) and looking at the stickers to make sure the vehicles were registered properly. At least here you have to be plated to at least the GVWR of the truck and or trailer. (which is the reason Ford offers de-rating options) We had a big push around here a couple of years ago with plow trucks with salt spreaders. People were running B plates (under 8K) to avoid the (at the time) twice annual safety lane requirement and cheaper registration. A bunch of tickets were written but none had anything to do with the payload sticker. They were for running over their registered weight.

Every time I have looked into "overweight" tickets its always turned out to be for over registered weight. The state wants their money. Still have yet to hear of a single case of a overweight situation related to the payload sticker.
    Agree with this......
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All about the benjamins.

Mike
    Last edited by Walaby; 12-06-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Don't confuse weight police inspections familiar to commercial drivers versus safety inspections that may or may not have scaling done and apply to all. PA has these flavors since we're a safety inspection State, and I should mention we both wore PA plates. If you want a fun squirrel, read the promulgated language about weigh stations in PA and decide what the letter of it says for recreational vehicles... Heck, up until this year 5er owners had to register combination. Thankfully we had some great RV dealers lobby that be changed saving much $!

Anyway, I really don't know if they scaled them or found a registration class mismatch drawing an on-paper conclusion for citation. I can tell you it was a 2500 Duramax and there was no Class 2 sticker on the windshield, which is what a 2500 would start at here, when we drove around them. Also, about a year, maybe two now, you can no longer register your truck at a lower rating legally in PA. I can also tell you if you don't have the proper Class DL for your rig, and the officer realizes this, you have to have it moved by one who does.

For PA, fellow dually owners can thank hot-shot haulers for Troopers paying closer attention along truck routes! I have been stopped three different times the last year and a half hauling my big enclosed car trailer across the State to verify I'm not hauling commercial. I've owned the trailer 8 years and never stopped prior.

As for the signature, I do have one. It only shows when posting in advanced from the mobile platform, which I rarely do favoring quick replies.
    I wasn't, this follow up sounds like it confirms what I was thinking. The first post could have been taken that they were getting in trouble for being overweight in regards to the payload sticker when it looks like they were in trouble for being over registered weight. I see that around here all the time, B plates on diesel trucks, they're "overweight" empty. (we have different plates not stickers on windshields). Luckily they just extended our safety lane inspections out to once a year from twice. A little less annoying for the 20 second walk around to check turn signals and brake lights and write them a check for a new safety sticker.
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 12-06-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Wonder how they determined the other guy was overweight then. Guess they determine registered weight based on the GVWR stickers, even though the trailer is likely less than that weight.

All about the benjamins.

Mike
    I would guess the trailer had nothing to do with it. If he wasn't registered for the GVWR of the truck then that's all that matters.

Exactly right all they want is the money for the heavier registration and "safety inspections" if they apply in said state. I could put any plate I wanted on my truck, I have considered upping to f plates (16K) just another $100 per year and the inspections are the same.
    Last edited by JKellerJr; 12-06-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, went by the dealer today to take a look at a 350 duallie. Nice truck. However, while there, I picked up the 2020 Superduty guide and was quite surprised to see the my truck, (4x4, 3.55 gears, diesel, 160" WB) is being rated at 19,100 lbs this year for 5th wheel towing up from ~15,000 on my 19. That's quite an uplift and would put the total weight of the trailer well within the capabilities. Now, of course, there's still the "pin problem" which, given the derate on the 250, I'm 99% sure would still push you into overloaded, but, asking the dealer "what changed", and he had a long list to go through, but nothing on axles, wheels/tires or springs. The more I read out this, the more I think these numbers are just make believe, did the 2020 magically really just add 5K or towing capacity or did someone just look at the competition and decide "time to up the numbers".

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Well, count another one in the ranks of "truck tow weight hell". 2019 F250 diesel, King Ranch, 6.5' bed, wife has her heart set on a 351M. Well, I thought I'd provide some data from the CAT scale:

Full fuel, 2 passengers:

Front Axle: 4800
    Rear Axle: 3340
    Gross: 8140

Ready for the real kicker here? Truck has the derate on it, so, if we look at that number as having some basis in reality.. I had more cargo carrying capacity in my F150 (about 2,500 lbs by the door sticker, vs <2K lbs here). Now, having driven them both, and using the 250 regularly with a big gooseneck dump trailer, well.. I'm left shaking my head because it's abundantly obvious that the "yellow sticker" and reality bare absolutely no relationship to one another. Hauling rock from the quarry one day, the loader went a little nuts, and I scaled at almost 30K (total) coming out (with the gooseneck dump). Now, I wasn't too happy about that, but I was more upset about it than the truck was, pulled/stopped (and dumped, surprisingly!) that much weight just fine.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is this "sway" that I hear about, I've never pulled such a physically large trailer before and I really don't know what to expect. No matter what I get, I'm going with the Goosebox, so I can keep my bed free, but I'm obviously going to be over my door sticker, GVWR, by quite a bit. I'm of the mind "give it a try and see", I know I can pull it, and I can stop it.. Just not sure about "sway" and what that's going to be like.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some real world numbers. I'm going to hit the scale again with the 351M back there and see how it looks. The number I most care about is the rear axle, rated at 6340, IIRC, and limited by the tires (again IIRC). That's one number I'd prefer not to mess with being over any significant amount on.

Thought those data points might help some others, if you care about the yellow sticker, you basically can't haul anything goose/5th wheel with a F250. The thing that really buggers me about this, I feel SO much more secure with a goose connection, it's much more solid/less float and just all around feels a lot safer to me than a tag. And yet, the best way to get the "right weight" for the yellow door sticker is to get a tag along. Could that actually be safer though? Or, laughably, trade for my F150 back, got a little more payload there and I'd be closer to the door sticker! So silly, I just wish they would give us engineering specs for what the vehicle can do rather than these government "adjusted" door stickers that obviously aren't based in anything that approaches reality. Hook up a 12K tag dump trailer to my F150 (which is what mine was rated to pull) and take it for a spin with 10K on the trailer. Then come back and take out the F250 with the gooseneck dump on it at the same weight, tell me which you feel safer in. The "overloaded" F250 or the "in spec" F150. That makes no sense at all.
    That yellow sticker shows cargo capacity for the tires and pressure that it came from the factory with. Upgrade the tires and that cargo number goes up. At least that’s how a trucker explained it to me. Maximum gross weight - vehicle weight = cargo weight. Look at the white sticker.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast