User Tag List

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! It's beautiful, that's for sure. It really wasn't nearly as nerve wracking driving it as I though it might be, I've pulled heavier, but never something that long. On the highway, it's a non issue. Around town, well, that wasn't "fun" but it had nothing to with the tow vehicle, it just that your nearly as long as a tractor trailer (or it feels that way). I've been so stressed over this weight/de-rate/your nuts if you don't tow with a HDT discussion I've not even been able to concentrate on actually getting the trailer! I will say, the absolute first stop was the CAT scale, so I'm taking this very seriously; but that's just my background, heavy equipment, farms, trucks. All this s**t can kill you in a heartbeat if you don't respect it, and I certainly feel the same about a huge trailer behind me. Not that the worrying was/is without merit, I'm clearly over GVWR and I'm right at my axle rating, but my axle rating is determined, in my case, by springs, and that's an easy fix (and I'm still under rear axle rating as it is). And the biggest thing, I'm under on tires, that's the one that's a "no go" for me, I'm not towing anything if I'm overloading the tires, that's just too scary, it's a sudden failure/can happen without warning and can be serious/deadly. If I was over the weight there, I'd sell the truck in a heartbeat or get different tires, that's a risk I'm not willing to take. Going to do a "run out" trip this weekend, and I'll get some more time behind the wheel and see how I/it feels. So far, though, pleasantly surprised, I really thought it would be "worse" (reading stories about headlights pointing at the sky, etc).

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    There is a lot of debate on this subject. It is all about your own risk aversion vs engineering skepticism over the numbers. VERY subjective. When I look at the numbers for towing my 310GK with my F250 I am well above payload. When I look at the average payload numbers on an F350 SRW I would still be at or over payload. Difference in trucks? Minimal to none.

I am comfortable pulling my 310 with my F250. Others would not be. I did add air bags for leveling (not payload) and disc brakes on the 5er (BIG difference, highly recommended). What I wish I had that the 350 has is taller gearing, but c'est la vie.

I have the same setup with airbags too. Feel very comfortable pulling it anywhere and doesn't have a problem going uphill with the 310.
    2016 F250
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    Past Adventures: Travel Trailer; Class A; Tent Trailer; Conversion Van; Tents

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is so much you can do to your current TV for under $1K. Air bags, upgraded HD rear swaybar, and rebuilding the springs to get you where you want to go. Naturally it is your decision and there are those who will say you are breaking the law. But, laws are made to be broken. I know I have only been in jail once for speeding many moons ago. And many other time that I wasn't caught by the law.
    Barry:D
    USN Retired
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, many mods, B&W rollball Gooseneck hitch and Anderson Ultimate adaptor
    2020 Reflection 337RLS, TorxLift stairs, bug screens on Furnace, HWH, Fridge, Cross bar on screen door
    Yanmar Sc2450

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauderer View Post
    There is so much you can do to your current TV for under $1K. Air bags, upgraded HD rear swaybar, and rebuilding the springs to get you where you want to go. Naturally it is your decision and there are those who will say you are breaking the law. But, laws are made to be broken. I know I have only been in jail once for speeding many moons ago. And many other time that I wasn't caught by the law.
    Does a beefer sway bar help significantly? You're talking about something like this, right:

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7320-.../dp/B06Y4PP3VX

The biggest thing for me, I'm way under on tire ratings. That was/is the "do not go" for me. It's just too scary, no idea when they're going to come apart if you're running 4K on a tire rated at 3750 (or 4.5K!).

Thinking I should probably air up to the max those tires (my rears) can take when towing, just to get the highest possible weight carrying capacity. Also, loading my Harley in the back will help things a bit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My F350 SRW wants 80-psi in the rear (door sticker).
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauderer View Post
    there are those who will say you are breaking the law. .
    But yet they never seem to be able to find or post this "law". This conversation has happened hundreds of times on hundreds of message boards but I still have yet to see said law posted once. Not even someone posting a ticket for being over the sticker weight. Any "example" always turns out to be either a commercial situation, or someone running over registered weight (safety is one thing but don't even think about skimping on what the government is "owed", that they will watch with an eagle eye, You think the unmanned photo radar traps and red light cameras are about safety?), or just unverifiable "this happened to a guy I know".

With all the 2500's around the country pulling around large 5th wheels you would think someone somewhere would have been nicked for it and would have posted it at least once. With the money making bonanza that weight tickets produce on the commercial side and if its actually against the law for RV's also, common sense would dictate we would be seeing RV's being pulled over at a record clip. Its frankly the easiest thing to spot, any truck with 250/2500 slapped on the side (well at least up to the 2020 gm twins) with almost any largish 5th wheel on the back is going to be "overloaded".

If its out there please post it, I would be very interested!!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Does a beefer sway bar help significantly? You're talking about something like this, right:

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7320-.../dp/B06Y4PP3VX

The biggest thing for me, I'm way under on tire ratings. That was/is the "do not go" for me. It's just too scary, no idea when they're going to come apart if you're running 4K on a tire rated at 3750 (or 4.5K!).

Thinking I should probably air up to the max those tires (my rears) can take when towing, just to get the highest possible weight carrying capacity. Also, loading my Harley in the back will help things a bit.
    IMO the tires and air bags help the most. Air bags for a stiffer suspension for less sway and bounce. I didn't need them to lift up the truck, mine sat level without the bags. I run mine at the minimum loaded pressure as I want the lift to be as little as possible. But they stiffen the suspension like the additional leafs a dually would have

And the right tires, not always about max load capacity, Max load capacity on tires is a factor of how much air they hold. Its possible find large D rated tires with a higher capacity than some E rated tires due to there size. But they are still 8 ply equivalent (actual "ply's don't really apply anymore) and only 65 psi max. You'll get much more "sway" from those as they don't have as stiff a side wall as E's. will

I would definitely run at max PSI on any tire that is even in the vicinity of the limit
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    But yet they never seem to be able to find or post this "law". This conversation has happened hundreds of times on hundreds of message boards but I still have yet to see said law posted once. Not even someone posting a ticket for being over the sticker weight. Any "example" always turns out to be either a commercial situation, or someone running over registered weight (safety is one thing but don't even think about skimping on what the government is "owed", that they will watch with an eagle eye, You think the unmanned photo radar traps and red light cameras are about safety?), or just unverifiable "this happened to a guy I know".

With all the 2500's around the country pulling around large 5th wheels you would think someone somewhere would have been nicked for it and would have posted it at least once. With the money making bonanza that weight tickets produce on the commercial side and if its actually against the law for RV's also, common sense would dictate we would be seeing RV's being pulled over at a record clip. Its frankly the easiest thing to spot, any truck with 250/2500 slapped on the side (well at least up to the 2020 gm twins) with almost any largish 5th wheel on the back is going to be "overloaded".

If its out there please post it, I would be very interested!!
    I really think breaking the law should be the least of anyone's concerns. You get a fine and maybe you get your trailer towed... big deal. It'll probably never happen and you'll survive it.

Safety is paramount. Some are blissfully ignorant here. Some people try to assure safety by buying a suitably rated truck off the lot. Some try to assure safety by studying and upgrading their truck as they feel is necessary.

After safety, I think the real issue in America is litigation in the event you participate in an injury/fatality collision. I personally think this is where the do-it-yourself (over GVWR) folks are most at risk. Certainly we are all at risk of litigation in a crash, but being overweight is not going to help your defense.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If payload stickers were legally binding, and the guvmint was interested in cracking down, then we'd be pulling over at every weigh station, just like commercial vehicles. Plain and simple, they aren't, and it's not.

Only numbers I really pay attention to are the axle weight ratings. That's a no-go point for me. Everyone's different. My 1 ton SRW with my Reflection 367BHS exceeds payload by 10lbs, but is under RAWR so Im not concerned. Tires exceed axle rating, scaled weight under axle rating, total weight under GCVWR, and I'll burn off a gallon of fuel by the time I get very far down the freeway, so I will be under payload.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone that thinks there is zero legal reifications to exceed manufacture specs being the axle ratings or GVWR needs to spend a few dollars and sit down with a accident attorney. I paid for advice from one accident attorney and had decisions with two others. They used the 3/4 ton truck towing a 5th wheel as an example of over weight trucks and they all quoted numbers that RV Safety has put out. These attorney explained to me what to they look for and I didn’t have to tell them.

This is the way that one attorney explained it to me. If there was two mountain climbers one using a ski rope and the other using all the proper equipment and procedures. The climber using the ski rope brakes and he falls and hits the other climber and they both fall and were injured. The climber using the proper equipment brings a law suit for 2 million dollars but is willing to settle out of court for 1 million dollars. Most attorneys will advise to take the deal and not go in front of a jury which could award even more than the original 2 million. If both climbers were using proper equipment and procedures that would be an accident and won’t allow for large claims. That why over 90% of claims are settle out of court. Using a ski rope to climbing a mountain isn’t against the law and if you fall it’s your fault but if you injury some else than it becomes a problem.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast