User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SG1971 View Post
    Hello all,

The wife and I are looking at going full time next summer and deciding between a Reflection 303 or a 337. This is probably a stupid question, but where do you guys who DIY and full time do your maintenance? Today I did an oil change, fuel filters and transmission service. As I was patting myself on the back for saving $300-500, it hit me, in a few months what do I do? I tried the normal google search and just came up with suggestions such as "just commandeer a parking lot and hope for the best". I guess that is one way, but I would prefer a better alternative. I guess if I have to pay to have service done, I will, but I hate to throw away money. Plus, I much prefer to know it was done properly with the right parts/fluids. I'm sure there is no magical answer, but hopefully someone has a suggestion that I'm just overlooking.
    I know some of the RV parks we've stayed at had a maintenance bay for customer use. You couldn't do work at your site, but you could use the service bay they had.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the replies! A lot of good points about letting the pros do it for a little more money. I had not considered the comment on the extra weight for tools either, a very good point. I'm probably making too big of a deal about it. One of you commented on establishing some relationships with dealers/shops in areas you frequent, another great suggestion. What really got me started on this was reading on a Ram/Cummins forum about a guy who was quoted $700 for the 30K Aisin service. This is just a drain and fill with 7.2 QTS. Aisin transmission fluid is ~$5 per QT on Rockauto and Mobil equivalent is ~$8 per QT at most auto parts stores. I know this is an example of an extremely dishonest dealership and most are not that bad. I have actually had a few decent interactions with dealer service departments through the years. I just don't want to find myself at the mercy of the only dealer within 250 miles and knowing nothing about the local shops. I guess that risk just comes with the lifestyle I am still learning about. I'm sure a little pre-planning will avoid most of these issues with the exception of the unavoidable breakdown. Now if the wife and I could just decide between the Reflection 303 or the 337! Is an extra 1K LBS of CCC and and extra 4 FT worth an extra $6K? We just keep changing our minds, lol. Might just have to flip a coin..... Thanks to everyone again, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions down the road.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the replies! A lot of good points about letting the pros do it for a little more money. I had not considered the comment on the extra weight for tools either, a very good point. I'm probably making too big of a deal about it. One of you commented on establishing some relationships with dealers/shops in areas you frequent, another great suggestion. What really got me started on this was reading on a Ram/Cummins forum about a guy who was quoted $700 for the 30K Aisin service. This is just a drain and fill with 7.2 QTS. Aisin transmission fluid is ~$5 per QT on Rockauto and Mobil equivalent is ~$8 per QT at most auto parts stores. I know this is an example of an extremely dishonest dealership and most are not that bad. I have actually had a few decent interactions with dealer service departments through the years. I just don't want to find myself at the mercy of the only dealer within 250 miles and knowing nothing about the local shops. I guess that risk just comes with the lifestyle I am still learning about. I'm sure a little pre-planning will avoid most of these issues with the exception of the unavoidable breakdown. Now if the wife and I could just decide between the Reflection 303 or the 337! Is an extra 1K LBS of CCC and and extra 4 FT worth an extra $6K? We just keep changing our minds, lol. Might just have to flip a coin..... Thanks to everyone again, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions down the road.
    For regular maintenance, you just need to plan ahead. We were in Alaska when it was time for an oil change on the truck. We just took it to a Ford place in Anchorage, as it was where we were at the time.

For breakdowns - you just go with the flow. We broke a spring hanger just outside of Whitehorse, Yukon Territories. Thankfully, Whitehorse is the big town in the area. We were lucky to find an RV place open (well, it was the middle of the day on a week day), but they didn't do welding. They sent us to a welding shop on the other side of town, and we had the weld done, and then back to the RV place for a propane line check (the broken hanger pinched the propane line). We were on our way by 4 PM that afternoon.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 12-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that post too. He was quoted the wrong service to start. That is the book for doing the AISIN pan drop for filter, including the skid plate R&R. Good dealers don't charge that either. I'm an extreme DIYer, but had surgery on my back when my AISIN needed its 60K, which is the pan drop. Service writer gave me same book quote, Service Manager charged me $400, which is pretty much the going rate, when done and now that i think about it that included my PA inspection.

Rely on your smartphone and check ratings, reviews and shop around. For instance, you know when you've cooked the fluid in a RAM dually rear with anti-spin. The behavior is unmistakable! Last trip, mine was cooked 1500 miles short of when I normally change it about 20 minutes out from camp. Privately owned campground was strict about zero repair work. Bought my preferred gear oil at a parts store and I scoured for a rental bay - no go. Wasn't going to be the out-of-State Yankee fixing my truck in a public parking lot in a small, mountain town in the South either and it was pouring rain! Found a super highly reviewed Valvoline quick lube, something I normally avoid like the plague. Gave a call, manager said to come right over. Hour later i was back at the campground. $20 charged to crack the cover and drain, give me a peek, and put it back on, torque, and fill with my fluid!

Long way of me saying be prepared as you can be, and that includes knowing how to find help when you have to. Resourceful Boy Scout if you will!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a winter site in Florida where I could do my own oil changes but I usually do these before I come into Florida. It is so much cheaper than what they charge me here in Naples ($196). As you travel, check out the dealer costs in the area and where you are heading. The cheapest was at a dealer in Iowa $85.46. I will do simple things like changing fuel filters and air filters. RV repairs are generally allowed unless you are going to make a mess.

Another thing that is hard to find is a campground that will allow you to wash your rig even if you pay for water. So, been using Wash Wax All when I don’t have access to soap and water. I wash wax every 3 months and get to do this at my winter site. When traveling in summer, I do inspect the roof even if I can’t wash it and then only use the wash wax all on walls to protect finish and decals.

337 vs 303 has bigger frame 8” vs 10”. We Fulltime in a 303 and find the space very comfortable BUT always weigh to make sure we are under GVWR. I have 2 batteries and carry a portable 100 watt solar panel, 2 AC units and run with 20 gallons water if overnighting at a Harvest Host, etc. typically run with 10 gallons. So if I had a 337 would be able to invest in more solar and battery weight. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 12-05-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW Diesel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12