Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing issue with 2014 Ram 2500 and 303RLS

I bought this truck to tow my camper and it pulls it with no problems as far as power BUT the problem is the nose of the camper sits 6" high. After many discussions with GD and Lippert they BOTH do not recommend raising the camper for numerous reasons.
    There are NO lowering kits for my truck so in order to tow level I am looking at having to remove the bed of my truck and installing a flat bed so I can reset the pin box elevation and drop the trailer down.
    BTW, the RAM I bought came with the 5th wheel prep pkg so I went into this thinking I was buying the perfect vehicle to tow a 5er with but it DOESN'T work. Has anyone else had this kind of problem and what did you do to resolve it?
    I am thoroughly fed up with the whole thing and wished someone at some point , the RAM dealer or the camper dealer , would have pointed out that this combination will not work safely. I now have $90,000.00 invested in this and it appears the only fix is to spend MORE money and modify the truck.
    I would appreciate any and all input on this.

Have a great Thanksgiving and don't forget to set your bathroom scales back 10 lbs.
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless the folks at Dodge can come up with a viable solution, get rid of the Dodge. Ford and Chevy make some really nice trucks that actually work towing a 303.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did not mention if you adjusted your hitch and adjusted pin box to try to correct problem. If you have not, that is an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pin box can't be adjusted as I only have the minimum 6" clearance now to the bed rails. Also the axles on the camper are already on the bottom of the springs. If I were to trade trucks again I would loose more than what it would cost to just install a flatbed, besides I like the Cummins engine more than I do the Duramax or the Ford diesel.
    2014 303 RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your 2014 Ram is now coil springs front and rear. Do the 4x2 models sit lower? If they do, the difference may only be the coil springs used...could be a relatively easy change and re-alignment. I haven't be able to find and ride height specs yet on the various 2014 Ram models...still looking.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram dealer said I couldn't modify the suspension unless it was something that ram built and offered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And they don't

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough call...personally I wouldn't flirt with the Ram warranty as it's longer term. That leaves mods to the camper to get closer to level. You may not need to get the camper perfectly level as many would say that within 2" of level is acceptable. You can choose from using the spacer block between the spring and axle or between the frame and axle mount...of the two methods, I think that the spacer between the frame and axle mount would be the way to go. I don't know where you are warranty-wise on the camper, but it and the axles only have 1 year coverage.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since your 6 inch high is you 6 inch clearance on bed rails. Without modifying your truck suspension, flat bad package is probably your best option as you said. You need to level the trailer out so the back axle is not getting
    Abused. I would not buy another truck either. You would lose to much money this early in the game. Unless you paid cash. Bright side if there is one is they make some nice looking functional flat beds for 2500 and 3500.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD and Lippert both advised against raising the camper because of raising the center of gravity which would create another concern. Has anyone here ever raised their camper regardless of brand and had no ill effects? Mine would need to be in the neighborhood of 3" of lift.
    2014 303 RLS

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast