User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Yesterday was the anniversary of us losing our first furkid many years ago.

One thing to consider for fellow forum members with old or ailing pets, some vets will do house calls for that final act of love. We've had it done twice that way, so much better than being in a vet's office. Also safer as I'm not trying to drive and cry at the same time.

Best regards,
    Chris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Yesterday was the anniversary of us losing our first furkid many years ago.

One thing to consider for fellow forum members with old or ailing pets, some vets will do house calls for that final act of love. We've had it done twice that way, so much better than being in a vet's office. Also safer as I'm not trying to drive and cry at the same time.

Best regards,
    Chris
    We had actually been checking as we traveled due to her health issues. Unfortunately she passed away in the middle of a state park tour. It the worst possible scenario we could have imagined.
    We're getting better every day and have been keeping busy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beechbaby View Post
    We had actually been checking as we traveled due to her health issues. Unfortunately she passed away in the middle of a state park tour. It the worst possible scenario we could have imagined.
    We're getting better every day and have been keeping busy.
    Sorry for the loss of your Boxer...our oldest daughter is a Boxer lover and has two females. She and her husband had to go through the loss of their previous Boxers and the wife and I really felt sorry for them...just like a family member. Hope the grief ends soon. Maybe a new pup will help.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry for your loss. We lost our 12.5 year old beloved golden, Timber, thanksgiving night. He was the best dog we've ever had. So loving and faithful. Never left our side. Our lives are forever changed. Still miss him dearly.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just getting around to spending some time on the board. Can't begin to say how sorry I am for your loss.

Prior to buying our 375RES in October, we had been long time boaters. As the father of twin girls and a Sheltie named Fox, we named all of our boats "Foxy Ladies" - that covered off all of the bases. Foxy Joe was his nickname. He travelled everywhere on our boats, from our first 34' yacht to our 42' Silverton. He absolutely loved the water and boating. Unfortunately, he passed away in the spring of 2013 at an incredible 17 years old. He suffered no illnesses, just getting old. That same year we upgraded our 42' Silverton to a 56' Carver. We named the new boat "Foxy Joe", so that Foxy could continue to travel with us where ever we went.

I said I could never own another dog, I was heart broken. I have seen tragedy and death at work on a regular basis and kept a "stoic" appearance. But I cried like a baby for days after loosing Foxy Joe.

In October of this year, I broke down and added a new member to the family - Freddie Joe, a Australian Sheppard pup. No replacement for Foxy Joe for sure, but have found the room in my heart and my mind to love him too.

I wish you all the best as you cope with the loss. You will never feel whole again, but you will learn to live with the loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlie.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	24100

Lost our Beloved Charlie just before Thanksgiving, he had been with us for 10.5 yrs, brought us such
    happiness and joy. Love camping with us and his little FurBaby Brother Rudy.

He will be missed.
    Last edited by Ggossler; 01-01-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    Greg & Twyla Gossler
    2019 GD Solitude 372WB - Gen Y GH 8040 Pin Box
    2022 Ford F 350 Lariat CC - DRW - PowerStroke - 8' Bed 4 x 4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    One thing to consider for fellow forum members with old or ailing pets, some vets will do house calls for that final act of love.
    But how do you know it is a final act of love, and that it is time? We did this with our last furbaby when we found out she had skin cancer and started to loose control of her hind legs. It still tore us up and we swore we would never put another one down. Fast forward about 13 years and here we are again.

Our Riley has doggie dementia and spends his days, and nights, walking in circles. It started getting really bad in September. He doesn't remember how to go outside to go to the bathroom so we have to keep a diaper on him. But that doesn't help with #2 . He doesn't remember how to eat so I have to cut up pieces of meat into bite size pieces and push it in his mouth. He then does chew and swallow it. He doesn't remember how to lay down on his own so keeps walking in circles until he either falls down from exhaustion and sleeps for a bit or we pick him up and hold him where he is asleep instantly. He will only sleep for a short period of time before he panics and starts circling again. It's almost like an obsessive compulsive disorder that makes him keep going. We are up every hour or so with him at night. We've gotten to the point where we lock him in the kitchen when we can't get him to lay back down at night so we can get a little sleep.

He had a really bad spell back in December after he tore the ligament in one of his rear legs. He stopped eating and had diarrhea real bad and we thought we were going to have to make that decision but we weren't ready to give up on him. We felt like we were being selfish trying to hold on to him. He did get better from his hurt leg but the pacing is worse. He is down about 10 lbs from December. He is exhausted but he seems like he is still fighting to survive. We are exhausted too so now feel like we are being selfish if we do put him down. But he is walking himself to death.

My Mom passed away in November. We watched her starve herself to death for a couple of weeks but no one ever considered euthanasia as a "final act of love". Why is it that with a beloved pet? How do we know it is the best option over a natural death and are we being selfish in trying to put an end to the pain in watching our pets fade away and justifying it as love? If it is a final act of love, how do we know it is time?

We are beside ourselves with grief and anguish. Stopped during writing this to get him to lay down and sleep and he looks so peaceful and like our old Riley. The tears are flowing.
    Mark, Linda and Riley (RIP 6/17/20)
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually LB
    B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [emoji25] my deepest sympathyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	CARSON-RAINBOW_BRIDGEGARDEN-49528-17__71003.1586442516.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	26508

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindabf View Post
    But how do you know it is a final act of love, and that it is time? We did this with our last furbaby when we found out she had skin cancer and started to loose control of her hind legs. It still tore us up and we swore we would never put another one down. Fast forward about 13 years and here we are again.

Our Riley has doggie dementia and spends his days, and nights, walking in circles. It started getting really bad in September. He doesn't remember how to go outside to go to the bathroom so we have to keep a diaper on him. But that doesn't help with #2 . He doesn't remember how to eat so I have to cut up pieces of meat into bite size pieces and push it in his mouth. He then does chew and swallow it. He doesn't remember how to lay down on his own so keeps walking in circles until he either falls down from exhaustion and sleeps for a bit or we pick him up and hold him where he is asleep instantly. He will only sleep for a short period of time before he panics and starts circling again. It's almost like an obsessive compulsive disorder that makes him keep going. We are up every hour or so with him at night. We've gotten to the point where we lock him in the kitchen when we can't get him to lay back down at night so we can get a little sleep.

He had a really bad spell back in December after he tore the ligament in one of his rear legs. He stopped eating and had diarrhea real bad and we thought we were going to have to make that decision but we weren't ready to give up on him. We felt like we were being selfish trying to hold on to him. He did get better from his hurt leg but the pacing is worse. He is down about 10 lbs from December. He is exhausted but he seems like he is still fighting to survive. We are exhausted too so now feel like we are being selfish if we do put him down. But he is walking himself to death.

My Mom passed away in November. We watched her starve herself to death for a couple of weeks but no one ever considered euthanasia as a "final act of love". Why is it that with a beloved pet? How do we know it is the best option over a natural death and are we being selfish in trying to put an end to the pain in watching our pets fade away and justifying it as love? If it is a final act of love, how do we know it is time?

We are beside ourselves with grief and anguish. Stopped during writing this to get him to lay down and sleep and he looks so peaceful and like our old Riley. The tears are flowing.

I always felt that when it is time you will know. We put our Aussie down in early march and as difficult as it was we knew it was the right thing to do. He had degenerative myeolpathy and had lost the full use of his hind quarters his eating slowed to almost nothing...this was the biggest sign he was giving in. (now you have me tearing up too )

When the time is right you will do the right thing, only you can gauge when that will be. It is the hardest decision a dog owner has to make even if you've done it with previous pets, it never gets easier.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindabf View Post
    But how do you know it is a final act of love, and that it is time?
    You know when it’s time and if you can’t decide, it is best to consult a trusted veterinarian. They are objective, you are not.

We have a fantastic service called Lifting Stars (liftingstars.ca) available to us. The vet will come to your home to end your best friend’s pain and at your discretion you can have family friends and even other pets around. We lost our beloved Kally, an eight year old in the prime of her life 180 pound Saint Bernard six years ago. We had some close friends with us and even though it tore us up, it was for the best.With bone cancer in her front leg and her size amputation was not an option.

Check out their web site as it discusses many of the questions you ask.

Regarding your mother, my condolences. It is never easy to lose a parent. Depending on where you live end of life can be scheduled. Although I have never had a family member schedule a passing, I have talked to those that have and their opinion is that it is better for all considered.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast