User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindabf View Post
    But how do you know it is a final act of love, and that it is time? We did this with our last furbaby when we found out she had skin cancer and started to loose control of her hind legs. It still tore us up and we swore we would never put another one down. Fast forward about 13 years and here we are again.

Our Riley has doggie dementia and spends his days, and nights, walking in circles. It started getting really bad in September. He doesn't remember how to go outside to go to the bathroom so we have to keep a diaper on him. But that doesn't help with #2 . He doesn't remember how to eat so I have to cut up pieces of meat into bite size pieces and push it in his mouth. He then does chew and swallow it. He doesn't remember how to lay down on his own so keeps walking in circles until he either falls down from exhaustion and sleeps for a bit or we pick him up and hold him where he is asleep instantly. He will only sleep for a short period of time before he panics and starts circling again. It's almost like an obsessive compulsive disorder that makes him keep going. We are up every hour or so with him at night. We've gotten to the point where we lock him in the kitchen when we can't get him to lay back down at night so we can get a little sleep.

He had a really bad spell back in December after he tore the ligament in one of his rear legs. He stopped eating and had diarrhea real bad and we thought we were going to have to make that decision but we weren't ready to give up on him. We felt like we were being selfish trying to hold on to him. He did get better from his hurt leg but the pacing is worse. He is down about 10 lbs from December. He is exhausted but he seems like he is still fighting to survive. We are exhausted too so now feel like we are being selfish if we do put him down. But he is walking himself to death.

My Mom passed away in November. We watched her starve herself to death for a couple of weeks but no one ever considered euthanasia as a "final act of love". Why is it that with a beloved pet? How do we know it is the best option over a natural death and are we being selfish in trying to put an end to the pain in watching our pets fade away and justifying it as love? If it is a final act of love, how do we know it is time?

We are beside ourselves with grief and anguish. Stopped during writing this to get him to lay down and sleep and he looks so peaceful and like our old Riley. The tears are flowing.
    Linda,

With our first dog I had to spend the last handful of her nights sleeping next to her downstairs so I could take her out every time she needed it. It’s a huge job you’re taking on and it is your decision. Part of what’s guided me since that time is a breeder who told me she feels it is better to say goodbye a day too soon than a day too late. There are some good quality-of-life decision charts available for pets. Maybe you could see if one helps you?

We lost my mom in February, and I elected professional hospice care when she was diagnosed with age and dementia related malnutrition last year. The comfort-care she received was what helped all of us (especially her) through the process.

Kind regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We too have taken shifts sleeping on the floor with Riley during the periods where he is having a really hard time. There was a night last week where Mark slept holding him in his arms in the recliner. He called for me at one point because he thought he was passing. He hadn't eaten anything for a couple of days. Apparently he was so exhausted that he was in a very deep sleep. I was able to get him to eat something the next day and he has been eating again ever since. It truly is the same as a human where they have good days and bad days but the time between them start to grow closer together.

We had Mom in hospice care also. Unfortunately she was never able to transfer from inpatient hospice care to home. My Dad was by her side constantly and the good part was hospice took good care of him too. They had just celebrated their 63rd anniversary in September.
    Mark, Linda and Riley (RIP 6/17/20)
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually LB
    B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a twelve year old Tibetan Spaniel that has been glued to my side since he was a puppy. My wife loves him but I am the boss, he will not go poop unless I am there and he stays by the door until I return. I tear up every-time I think of not having him with me. He is my buddy and when the time comes I know it will be one of the saddest days of my sixty years. My greatest sympathy for you.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123