User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rallys....welcoming to new owners?

Just bought a new grand design reflection and were wanting to meet and great at a rally. Rallies seem to be filled up as soon as they are posted and no spot are available for a rally nearby. So we thought we would just get an empty spot in the park where the event was being held. We contacted the event masters and requested just a ticket to attend. The response was:

"In fairness to those ahead of you on the wait list we cannot accommodate rally only tickets. I do see that you are on the wait list if anything changes I will let you know.

Kathie"

What we asked was:

'Hello:

My husband and I put ourselves on the wait list for tickets. His name is James Stepp. We just got our Grand Design 3 weeks ago and went to apply to any of the rallies and they are all full. That says more good things about our decision to get one.

Anyway, I wanted you to have our name and know that we only need rally tickets not rv site tickets, because we went ahead and booked at Lakewood off their site, so we could at least be there. We are booked for Block One South, Level 235 South. March 18 - 22.

So if you get any rally tickets for the events, we would love to participate.

Thanks
    Mary and James Stepp"

I was taken back by the response, then I checked to see if others had a similar response.....yep.

I fail to see how selling me a ticked to be at an event in any way:

Overburdens the vendors
    Causes a loss of revenue to anyone, other than me
    causes too many people to be there, isn't the event about meeting, learning and buying things from vendors, don't they want to sell out
    Isn't the campground happy to be renting spots because of the event, even if they are not event dedicated spots
    it's ok there is only enough food for event site renters......"doesn't the food vendors want to sell food", I can buy my own food
    Selling me an event ticket would help determine the big the event really is , vendors like those numbers
    Very disappointed in My Grand RV forum events

Jame and Mary Stepp
    Still proud owners of a 2020 297rsts

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j&mstepp View Post
    Just bought a new grand design reflection and were wanting to meet and great at a rally. Rallies seem to be filled up as soon as they are posted and no spot are available for a rally nearby. So we thought we would just get an empty spot in the park where the event was being held. We contacted the event masters and requested just a ticket to attend. The response was:

"In fairness to those ahead of you on the wait list we cannot accommodate rally only tickets. I do see that you are on the wait list if anything changes I will let you know.

Kathie"

What we asked was:

'Hello:

My husband and I put ourselves on the wait list for tickets. His name is James Stepp. We just got our Grand Design 3 weeks ago and went to apply to any of the rallies and they are all full. That says more good things about our decision to get one.

Anyway, I wanted you to have our name and know that we only need rally tickets not rv site tickets, because we went ahead and booked at Lakewood off their site, so we could at least be there. We are booked for Block One South, Level 235 South. March 18 - 22.

So if you get any rally tickets for the events, we would love to participate.

Thanks
    Mary and James Stepp"

I was taken back by the response, then I checked to see if others had a similar response.....yep.

I fail to see how selling me a ticked to be at an event in any way:

Overburdens the vendors
    Causes a loss of revenue to anyone, other than me
    causes too many people to be there, isn't the event about meeting, learning and buying things from vendors, don't they want to sell out
    Isn't the campground happy to be renting spots because of the event, even if they are not event dedicated spots
    it's ok there is only enough food for event site renters......"doesn't the food vendors want to sell food", I can buy my own food
    Selling me an event ticket would help determine the big the event really is , vendors like those numbers

Jame and Mary Stepp
    Most rallys have participation limits. It has to do with what facilities are needed/required for lecture venues, food prep, and participation free-bies. I don't find the response unusual.

Many times the rally event price includes food, activities, and other things. The ticket is not for being at the rally. The ticket includes things. Since all tickets have been sold, there are not "just rally" tickets. Vendors need to be told how many people will be attending, and there are often maximum numbers they can provide for.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 12-03-2019 at 09:58 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup … you are at a bit of a disadvantage since you are "newbie" GD owners. Folks that have already attended the rallies in previous years that you are interested in know enough to book for the following year at the earliest opportunity, otherwise it will be sold out. Your real only option is to hope for a waiting list spot. You can haunt the rallies list on the GDRV4life for any you may be interested in but you still will have to book well in advance. And as stated above, the rallies have a max limit for attendees, so you generally can't wait until the last minute.

...VTX-Al

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jame and Mary Stepp
    WELCOME! We are newish, as of Feb, so not quite a year.... WE had the same experience at the first rally I found too. I found another rally that was a little further away & got to go in August. Here is what I gleamed from the rally - We met great folks from around the country! So if there isn't one near you, find a place that has one and create a trip to the rally and enjoy the journey & or visit friends & family to or from the rally. The other thing I learned is not all rallies are created equal. Different vendors attend different rallies. IE: you may or may not get MO-Ryde or RVLocks or other vendors that are cool & you want to learn more about their wares. However, I really wanted to learn more about solar & lithium batteries, but neither were at our rally. There is also Grand Design Reps that come, but are spread pretty thin, to help with some warranty stuff. The rally was fun, but somewhat disappointing for me compared to what I hear about some of them. So, Yes, we will do another rally, but at the same time, if you are interested in getting upgrades for your new home on wheels, just go for it & don't wait for a rally. I recommend getting the Tork-Lift steps if your steps are not of equal distance from each other or touching ground.
    I hope you love your new home & have lots of great memories to come.
    Lorna

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far we've taken one short trip and the RV was flawless, even though it poured rain for 24 hours straight. We're looking at possible attending the Bethpage, VA rally next year. Do they send out a list ahead of time to let you know who the vendors will be or is it just hit and miss? We are really looking into solar upgrades. My husband wants two to four panels.

Thanks for your words of wisdom.
    Mary
    Retired Army Aviator - Wife, soon to be retired court reporter
    2020 297RSTS with dual batteries, looking at solar.
    2020 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 1500 (Yeah, it's small, but it's working
    Have dogs, will travel... Coonhound and yellow lab mix.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far we've taken one short trip and the RV was flawless, even though it poured rain for 24 hours straight. We're looking at possible attending the Bethpage, VA rally next year. Do they send out a list ahead of time to let you know who the vendors will be or is it just hit and miss? We are really looking into solar upgrades. My husband wants two to four panels.

Mary
    We didn't know what vendors would be there until about a week before the rally. It was frustrating. Just go on Grand Design owners site to find rallies & some places are much better defined than what ours was.

Good luck & enjoy the journey. We camped 16 trips for a total of 54 days camping in 2 states & approximately 3200 miles total this year! Got snowed on & rained on and had lots of sunshine and fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mary
    Hi Mary, as it gets closer to rally time and the wagonmasters get conformation from vendors, they will post them to the rally webpage.
    I have been to many rallies in the eastern part of the country, and have not seen to many solar vendors at them except for the National Rally in Indiana. There are several owners that have installed solar panels and are very willing to show you what they've done and help you with what you may want to do.
    Hope this may help.
    As always, safe travels and good health.
    John Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, we are also new and learning our way. I would say for you both to use the search/advanced search area for stuff you want to learn or change. I found there are so many individuals who have “been there done that” on his site. You’ll be able to kill a few hour’s educating yourself and then wear out your credit card getting the stuff that works for you.
    Read a lot and you will find individuals on both sides of a topic which helps me make an informed purchase. If the search does not get your topic answered, then post and you will get the answers you need.

Safe travels
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James and Mary, Welcome to the forum! The rallies include most of your meals (there are not usually food vendors) also a gift bag of GD goodies and that is where the issue arises about just getting a rally ticket. The rallies even though you might not see it right now are very welcoming to newbies. There is an amazing amount of planning that goes into each rally.

The national rally in Goshen, IN has a newbie orientation to get you acquainted with all there is to do. If possible watch for the registration to open for that along all the little side trips that can be gotten and you will not have a second to get bored and will meet many other owners.
    If I recall last years national was around 60% new attendees and they all about wore my butt out at meals while I was selling 50/50 for fundraising.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 12-04-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard j&mstepp! Glad you're here. I would like to thank Jim for service.

As far as the rallies go, the problem with rally only tickets is the space available in the dining halls. Most rallies allow for maximum occupancy. In Quartzsite it's not the space available (since we eat on a chair in the desert) it's the capacity of the food vendors. They bring in food trucks to feed us and it takes them 3 hours to feed 150 rigs. Second, this is Kathie's first rally and sometimes you need to get your feet wet before you get too big. Kathie will do a great job as she has been Pam's (National Rally Wagonmaster) right hand for 3 years and knows the ins and outs. Until you do a rally at a location you don't know what the logistics and the mindset of the RV park management will be.

Solar installers are the hardest thing to get at a rally. They already have too much work and don't need anymore exposure. At the National Rally we were able to get Victron Corporate to come because of our size. He wasn't doing installs, just displaying their products.

As far as Vendors in general go, please don't pick on the wagonmaster...they are the most wishy washy folks you ever saw, (yes I'm coming, no I'm not) with all kinds of excuses. I will say about 1/3 are great, but the others make it real hard to plan. We send out a flyer 3 months before the rally with their rally specials and only get 1/3 to respond for their adds.

The registration for the National Rally starts the first part of April (actual date will be decided later and will be posted on GDRV4LIFE.com). We will have 500-600 rigs attending. I will tell you now that there are only 180 50 amp with water and sewer sites at the fairgrounds and they go first. I can't make anymore. The other sites are 30 amp with water and Grand Design pays for a "Honey Wagon" to come around and dump your tanks, so these are essentially full hook up sites as well. This is the only campground in the area that will hold this many rigs so it is what it is.

I hope you will consider joining us next year. The rally dates are Sept 1st -Sept 4th in Goshen IN. We include a first timers orientation to help are newcomers get acquainted and get information on the rally.

Red and Pam
    Wagonmasters for the National Rally.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast