User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Receiver hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Not true, west of the Mississippi there’s only 2 states that don’t allow it, OR and WA and only if it’s a fifth wheel. Some even have an 80 ft limit!

To reply to the OP, is the hitch mounted to the frame and is it a Class 3? If so the 300 lbs only refers to the tongue wt, the hitch is itself rated for 5000#. We winter in AZ and I tow my motorcycle there and back on an open trailer (about 2000#) behind my Solitude, total length is just under 68 ft.

Let the flaming begin!
    Only legal in California with a Commercial drivers license, with endorsement.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    Only legal in California with a Commercial drivers license, with endorsement.
    True if you’re a CA resident but if I’m legal in my home jurisdiction, I’m legal in CA. I do have a CDL however.
    Last edited by Bungy; 12-04-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True if you’re a CA resident but if I’m legal in my home jurisdiction, I’m legal in CA. I do have a CDL however.
    AND not allowed even if you are from out of state!!! ^^^^^ Not true!!!
    No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license with the proper endorsement. With a Noncommercial Class A license: Any vehicle under Class C. Travel trailers weighing over 10,000 lbs.
    License Classes License Requirements - DMV - CA.gov
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov › portal › dmv › detail › pubs
    No mention of ok if you are from out of state. NO passenger.......
    Last edited by phonemannn; 12-04-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    2017 GD 311BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I won't be visiting CA then, no loss.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I won't be visiting CA then, no loss.
    Agree. The CHP are pulling over just about anything on certain roads, HWY 40 comes to mind, towing anything checking for proper license . Hot shot truckers, towing car trailers for hire behind pickup trucks, have caused this. Most are out of class, and grossly overloaded...AND the CHP have wheel scales they use to check. I got a ticket with my 311BHS because it weighs over 10K, and you need a different license to pull it.

You have to remember, we have a LOT of traffic in the Golden state. A LOT!!!!!!
    Last edited by phonemannn; 12-04-2019 at 07:56 AM.
    2017 GD 311BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    Agree. The CHP are pulling over just about anything on certain roads, HWY 40 comes to mind, towing anything checking for proper license . Hot shot truckers, towing car trailers for hire behind pickup trucks, have caused this. Most are out of class, and grossly overloaded...AND the CHP have wheel scales they use to check. I got a ticket with my 311BHS because it weighs over 10K, and you need a different license to pull it.

You have to remember, we have a LOT of traffic in the Golden state. A LOT!!!!!!
    Just to clarify, (it seems you're a CA resident) you don't need a "different license" to tow your over 10k 5th wheel. To tow a 5th wheel over 10k, but under 15k all you need is an endorsement (technically called a restriction, and it's restriction 41) on your regular class C (passenger license). If it's over 15k, (or any TT over 10k) it's a non-commercial class A.

To get the 10-15k endorsement, it's only a written test. To get the over 15k non-commercial, it's a written AND skills test.

Generally, as long as you are legally licensed in your home state, you're also legal in CA. So if your home state allows towing an 18k 5th with a regular passenger level license, it's legal in CA.

It really gets in the weeds when true commercial purposes come into play. Yes our laws are convoluted. And yes, I am very familiar with when/how CHP does enforcement ;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited, DRW, HO diesel, Aisin 4:10, 4x4, CC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
    Just to clarify, (it seems you're a CA resident) you don't need a "different license" to tow your over 10k 5th wheel. To tow a 5th wheel over 10k, but under 15k all you need is an endorsement (technically called a restriction, and it's restriction 41) on your regular class C (passenger license). If it's over 15k, (or any TT over 10k) it's a non-commercial class A.

To get the 10-15k endorsement, it's only a written test. To get the over 15k non-commercial, it's a written AND skills test.

Generally, as long as you are legally licensed in your home state, you're also legal in CA. So if your home state allows towing an 18k 5th with a regular passenger level license, it's legal in CA.

It really gets in the weeds when true commercial purposes come into play. Yes our laws are convoluted. And yes, I am very familiar with when/how CHP does enforcement ;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Concise, thank you. Can you imagine a guy from say, Nebraska, towing a fifth wheel and a boat on the 405 at rush hour? Or on I10 thru LA? Those guys have no idea of the traffic we get here. California does not prevent this kind of towing, just they want to make sure the driver is skilled enough to do it safely, hence the license requirement.
    Last edited by phonemannn; 12-04-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good read on the subject here....

https://camperreport.com/can-you-tow...a-fifth-wheel/
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback and thanks for the link to the article. Some good information in the article. Just to clarify my rig is a 5th wheel. I live in New Mexico and not sure of the laws but I do see people hauling doubles down the highway all the time including motorized vehicles. According to the article in the link NM as well as most western states allow it. Coincidentally,I do have a Clas A CDL. My concern is on the hitch rating. I believe the intent of the receiver is for a bike rack etc. I agree the tongue weight on anything I towed would be below the 300lbs. There is no trailer light plug on the rear of the unit. There is also a sticker stating that hauling anything over 300lbs voids the frame warranty.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog6 View Post
    ... My concern is on the hitch rating. I believe the intent of the receiver is for a bike rack etc. I agree the tongue weight on anything I towed would be below the 300lbs. There is no trailer light plug on the rear of the unit. There is also a sticker stating that hauling anything over 300lbs voids the frame warranty.
    The receiver currently on your trailer is not rated for towing - hence no class labeling stamped on the hitch and no trailer wiring. Reinforcement and a tow-rated receiver will be necessary (and will also void your frame warranty, I think).

BTW - where in NM are you? I'm a Las Cruces native and we're spending the winter here at the moment.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast