User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Leveling Woes

I have the Lippert auto leveling on my 2018 303RLS. Just came back from a trip to Hilton Head. The site was concrete, looked fairly level. Looking at it before backing in, I couldn't see that there would be an issue - the slab was a bit higher on one side less than an inch. Upon auto leveling, we got an error that the system was unable to level the camper. So we looked at the manual which we had previously downloaded and spent over an hour trying to figure out how to use the system to get level - gave up as it was getting dark and cold. The solution in the manual is to move the unit - no place to move it to though.

I guess I thought that this system would be able to handle this - it's not like I was on some crazy angle. You would think that it could figure out how to do this itself - it's called Auto leveling after all. How do others do to get level using the auto leveling system? Do you do something before unhooking? I have the stack-able blocks - but you would have to re-hook in order to put them under the front legs. What do you do if you get this error? I'm just out of ideas as to how to get things level.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In some (maybe all) cases, it helps to lower the front jacks after unhooking and moving the truck so the front is definitely below level and then hitting auto-level. If you haven't already, learn how to use the Manual mode to level the trailer when nothing else seems to work.
    Just my $0.02.

Safe Travels

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    I have the Lippert auto leveling on my 2018 303RLS. Just came back from a trip to Hilton Head. The site was concrete, looked fairly level. Looking at it before backing in, I couldn't see that there would be an issue - the slab was a bit higher on one side less than an inch. Upon auto leveling, we got an error that the system was unable to level the camper. So we looked at the manual which we had previously downloaded and spent over an hour trying to figure out how to use the system to get level - gave up as it was getting dark and cold. The solution in the manual is to move the unit - no place to move it to though.

I guess I thought that this system would be able to handle this - it's not like I was on some crazy angle. You would think that it could figure out how to do this itself - it's called Auto leveling after all. How do others do to get level using the auto leveling system? Do you do something before unhooking? I have the stack-able blocks - but you would have to re-hook in order to put them under the front legs. What do you do if you get this error? I'm just out of ideas as to how to get things level.
    The question is - have you taught your rig what "level" is? We discovered that our rig needed to learn that before the auto level would work correctly. It was always failing until we re-leveled it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does sound as though your system has "forgotten" what "level" means. Resetting it is a fairly simple matter of using manual mode and a spirit level to get it level, and then pressing keypad keys a bunch of times to tell it, "remember this". I forget the details but they'll be in one of the manuals at the following link.

https://support.lci1.com/ground-control-3.0-touch-pad

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree that it has forgotten what level is. It works fine on the driveway at home, and when I put it in storage. It has worked at other camp sites - from packed sand to gravel surfaces. I'll try lowering the front jacks after unhooking as Capt Jim suggested.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Jim View Post
    In some (maybe all) cases, it helps to lower the front jacks after unhooking and moving the truck so the front is definitely below level and then hitting auto-level. If you haven't already, learn how to use the Manual mode to level the trailer when nothing else seems to work.
    Just my $0.02.

Safe Travels

Jim
    U

It is my understanding that the trailer needs to be nose high to start the auto level process as the 1st action after hitting the auto level button is for the nose to drop. That’s the way I have done it for 2 yrs and have had no issues
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree that it has forgotten what level is. It works fine on the driveway at home, and when I put it in storage. It has worked at other camp sites - from packed sand to gravel surfaces. I'll try lowering the front jacks after unhooking as Capt Jim suggested.
    Sometimes it just happens that the auto level fails. I know ours does. Most of the time, when it happens, it's at the storage lot. But not so much at campgrounds.

I agree that most of the time the first motion the auto level makes is to lower the nose.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with nose high. I've had that error a couple of times and it was situations where the 5'er was on the concrete pad, but the tow vehicle was not. This caused the nose to be low and it wouldn't auto-level. I raised the front of the 5'er a bit so it was nose high and it did it's little leveling dance. Also, I've noticed the hitch height feature seems to only work if you start nose high. Yes, sometimes that isn't actually your hitch height, but it does make it convenient to raise the center and rear jacks automatically. Then I just manually lower the front to get hitched.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We hope to take possession of our Solitude 310 next month. Not ever having had a leveling system (other than wife) before, we have a learning curve ahead of us. On our three previously owned units, we've had the front electric jacks and manual rear jacks. It is always our practice to do a "drag test" before departure. After hookup, we extend the front jacks to about 6-8" above the ground and move forward about 6'. Will we be able to manually extend the front Jackson the 310 to the desired location?
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six point hydraulic level up system must have the nose of fifth wheel above “level” condition at start if auto level sequence otherwise it will usually error out..

The first motion of the system is to “lower” the nose to go below level and then raise back to level.. this is detected via front sensor and remote rear sensor..

If system can’t find its level point during nose lowering motion it will usually continue to drive full nose down and error out..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast