User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plugged in to 30a, slides in, refrigerator off, on tires, no heat/air conditioning. Have battery wizard to help protect the batteries.

Well, that is what I use to do - as you can see below we currently don’t have a 5th wheel - we hear out 310GK is about a week out.

RV carport is 20*40 - 13’8” high.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C53FEC0-B341-438F-999B-CE749916B552.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	23770
    Last edited by Tall Paul; 12-06-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    So, a few questions, we have plenty of room to store the 351M at home, and a good spot for it, so I think that's what we'll be doing. But I'm not sure about a few things and just wanted to get some guidance on how to do it.

First question, leave it plugged in? I can pull 50A to the place we want to store it pretty easily, should I just hook up shore power and leave it that way? Which, if yes:
    What do I leave on in the unit? Refrigerator seems like it would be nice to have on all the time. Any heat? Run AC in the summer?
    Slides in or out?
    On the jacks or on the tires?

So, I've read a lot about this one, but if anyone cares to offer an opinion, covered/uncovered? I'm thinking about building a "carport" (pole barn style) for it and I'm sure it would like that, but it's not gonna be cheap to do that, so before I go down that route, how bad is it for these things to sit in the weather vs under cover? I did look at the big canvas style covers, I just see that as something I'd hate about using/storing the RV, but if you guys tell me it's no big deal, I might reconsider, lot cheaper to buy some canvas than build a 20x50 pole structure!

For those of you who store in a barn/shed, what are the dimensions and are you happy with them?

Thanks!
    In western Oregon it's mostly wet in the winter, with some below freezing days. When we come home from the Oregon Coast in the winter, I'll figure out if I need to winterize before I get home, after I get home or not at all.
    I'll leave the Solitude plugged into a 15A circuit sometimes, just to keep the batteries topped off ( 4 stage Progressive Dynamics RV Converter) and other times slides in and everything off for a week or so. I'll check the Battery voltage once in a while, to make sure it's not getting below 12.
    Summer time; same on the battery management.
    KEN

P.S. It might help if we knew where you lived, so we could give you better info.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine under a cover in the backyard. Keep it plugged into a 50 amp pole and usually keep the slides out unless of bad weather. Usually keep the refridge on because we normally have hot to warm weather in SE Louisiana (84 degrees today)!!

Name:	trailer 7-1-18 013.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	23771
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Florida a cover is not an option, the sun will destroy anything left unprotected. Last TT had a custom Sunbrella cover that I am having altered for the new one. Park at home with electric and run a dehumidifier when it cools off.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refrencing the Grand Design owners manual, slides should be stowed in, the battery disconnect turned off. You can disconnect the battery leads or leave them connected and connect a battery charger to maintain the batteries. Level the trailer, winterize it, place tire covers on the wheels and tires, cover the camper if outside, chock-secure tires, also remove small batteries out if all components so as they don't corrode. Occasionally check the inside, if possible circulate air with a fan, and a few of the humidifier absorbants scattered around will reduce the chance for mildew problems .

Some recommend dryer sheets to ward off mice and critters, also have heard of mint infused cotton balls for that to. If it sits outside exposed to wind you could put down your stabilizers, just don't forget they are down.
    Last edited by Saldog; 12-07-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    Plugged in to 30a, slides in, refrigerator off, on tires, no heat/air conditioning. Have battery wizard to help protect the batteries.

Well, that is what I use to do - as you can see below we currently don’t have a 5th wheel - we hear out 310GK is about a week out.

RV carport is 20*40 - 13’8” high.

Name:	8C53FEC0-B341-438F-999B-CE749916B552.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	23770
    How much, if you don't mind my asking, did it cost to build that carport? That's kind of what I'm thinking, just want to have a zip code for what I'm looking at for price.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New storage facility 3 miles from my house. Plugged it to keep batteries charged but everything else off and slides in. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	storage pic 1 (2).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	23772
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another possibility is a metal carport. They can be built in various sizes and price includes installation. If you want to be able to open opposing slides, I recommend 16 ft minimum width. Regardless of the type of storage, Michelin recommends a barrier (wood, plastic, rubber mat) between the tire and the ground with the tires covered.

Name:	Reflection Carport.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	23773

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    How much, if you don't mind my asking, did it cost to build that carport? That's kind of what I'm thinking, just want to have a zip code for what I'm looking at for price.
    we are here to share - just short of $10k including the concrete pad.
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2017 F350 Diesel CC SRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    we are here to share - just short of $10k including the concrete pad.
    To me that sounds like a great price!
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast