User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing RV at home

So, a few questions, we have plenty of room to store the 351M at home, and a good spot for it, so I think that's what we'll be doing. But I'm not sure about a few things and just wanted to get some guidance on how to do it.

First question, leave it plugged in? I can pull 50A to the place we want to store it pretty easily, should I just hook up shore power and leave it that way? Which, if yes:
    What do I leave on in the unit? Refrigerator seems like it would be nice to have on all the time. Any heat? Run AC in the summer?
    Slides in or out?
    On the jacks or on the tires?

So, I've read a lot about this one, but if anyone cares to offer an opinion, covered/uncovered? I'm thinking about building a "carport" (pole barn style) for it and I'm sure it would like that, but it's not gonna be cheap to do that, so before I go down that route, how bad is it for these things to sit in the weather vs under cover? I did look at the big canvas style covers, I just see that as something I'd hate about using/storing the RV, but if you guys tell me it's no big deal, I might reconsider, lot cheaper to buy some canvas than build a 20x50 pole structure!

For those of you who store in a barn/shed, what are the dimensions and are you happy with them?

Thanks!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We store ours at home and plug in to a 30 amp rv oulet we installed. If you do install one read up on the installation for the RV outlet. We do leave the fridge on but not the AC, slides are sometimes in and sometimes out. We do this knowing it is going to be used often enough. If it were going to sit for a length of time it's a good time to defrost and do a good cleaning to the fridge and do some other camper maintainence that needs to be done, then tuck it all in until next outing.

We don't cover , it's not worth the trouble because we are always in and out of the trailer. You don't want to cover if the AC or fridge are in use.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine in my driveway plugged in all the time, slides out, leveled with jacks. As for having it covered (with a shelter, not a soft cover) I think it it would be awesome if it is an option, it isn't for me. The trailer will do fine in the weather, but the less it encounters the better off in the long run I would imagine.

As for what to leave on, that is entirely up to you. I keep the fridge on all the time (residential fridge) and only turn on the AC/heat pump when I am in it a lot working on something or packing/unpacking. You are paying the power bill, so it is your call. If you will keep the trailer unplugged for an extended period of time, I would disconnect the batteries (at the terminals, not the cut off switch) to keep them from draining dead. The cut off switch does NOT disconnect all loads, just the "house" loads in the trailer.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We store leveled on jacks , plugged in , slides out & fridge running. Not exactly at home , but 5 minutes away at my shop / business. I added an enclosed 21’ x 40’ bay on the end of the existing building. 14’ x14’ roll up door. Ideally another 10’ in length would have been great , but I had to go with what I have due to logistics. At least I don’t have to worry about trading for something longer. In Texas protection from the sun is huge.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Store at home on paved driveway, leveled and powered all the time. During season, fridge stays on, and the air conditioner is set for 80 degrees as we keep the pantry full and ready. For the winter, fridge is off, plumbing winterized and no heat unless I'm doing mods. Slides are mostly kept in, and I do use 303 on tires and cover them.

We live in a mountain valley and the first day of winter is signaled with winds and the last day of winter when the winds stop! So, no cover as it would be destroyed and damage the camper finish. I do keep the finish protected with Klasse. I would recommend some kind of roof. We had a nasty hail storm this year, and our prior camper had $7K in hail damage. I plan to erect a pole barn garage, as soon as finances make sense, to garage the camper and TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I store our 376TH in our garage, 2 6v glass mat batteries in and main switch off, slides in. Every 2 weeks i plug unit into 50amp, turn on main, leave on for 24-48 hours to keep batteries happy, then start generator and run for one hour. Repeat.
    2020 Ford F350, 4:10, 2024 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We store ours on our property on a concrete pad. Level and typically our minimal solar setup will keep us fully charged. Slides in or out as needed or by whim and the reefer is only on for trips. I would love to build a pole barn to protect it from the sun at which point I would leave it plugged in all the time.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is yes to the power @ 50 Amps, fridge on, slides in during inclement or really cold weather, and I would add a large LP tank hooked into your system for the furnace if needed, but there are also numerous options for using electric heaters and thermostats to fight the frozen monsters.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is plugged in ( 50amp). Slides in , levelers down.

I plan to add a battery cutoff switch.... but with the 2 batteries and numerous cables...not sure which cable to utilize on the switch.....
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring to Fall: In the back yard beside my shop, leveled and plugged into 50 amp. Fridge running and stocked, as well as pantry full and ready to hit the road.
    Winter: In the barn over at the farm, 15 amp to keep everything charged, winterized. Have to move the John Deeres around a little to get everything to fit.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast