User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are safety chains needed?

I am considering switching to an andersen ultimate hitch. Are safety chains required with a gooseneck hitch?
    If so, are they included with the hitch? And if so, why are they needed with a gooseneck and not a fifth wheel?
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    I am considering switching to an andersen ultimate hitch. Are safety chains required with a gooseneck hitch?
    If so, are they included with the hitch? And if so, why are they needed with a gooseneck and not a fifth wheel?
    I would never connect a trailer on a ball of any sort without chains. I think the reasoning behind it is that the kingpin setup is a more secure connection, and therefore doesn't require chains. However, with an AUH, you're no longer using a kingpin connection, you're using what's basically a gooseneck. And all GN's have chains, mine are in the bed of the truck to either side of the ball, usually they are pop ups or dedicated tie down points in the bed.

IMHO, I'd get them. I know kingpins don't need them, but after towing for most of my childhood and some of my adult life, even with a kingpin, I'd be worried about it (needlessly, most likely, but because I don't have experience with that connection type and wouldn't feel comfortable having something hooked up without chains on it).

Standard goose, yes, chains are required. AUH, because it's a hybrid connection, I'm really not sure. But looking at it, I'd consider it a GN, and would treat it the same way, chains in the bed to the pin box on the trailer. One more data point, I'm actually going the other way on my 351M and changing the pin box to a Goosebox. And, you guessed it, that has chains that go to the attachment points in the bed. If the Goosebox has it, I can't see any logical reason someone could explain to me how an AUH is "more secure" than a Goosebox directly to the ball. Less connection points, less things to forget to tighten, more possible places to fail.

Short version, yes, GN's all have chains, and, if your converting to a GN, I would take that as a guide.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    The chains don't come with the hitch, but Andersen sells chain kits. Not sure about other states but in Calif, they are required.
    And for me it is a matter of peace of mind, I would use the chains anyway.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is some States require chains for gooseneck towing. Because they are not required in every Stste, they are not sold with the hitches. However, each manufacturer has them available along with anchor systems.

There's no point in debating the why required for one and not the other when regulation is clear. After all, driving (and towing) is a privilege and not a right.

I now tow exclusively by gooseneck across all my trailers, and personally would not tow a gooseneck without chains.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As other have stated chains are not included with the AUH. They sell 2 kits. Each kit has through bolts with large rings to attach chains to the coupler adaptor. Another kit kit come with a plate that attaches to the trucks goose ball where the chains can be attached.

If you have the Ford OEM 5th wheel system with pucks, the AUH will cover the puck holes. I opted to cut holes in th AUH base plate with Andersen’s approval to connect the chains to the Ford pucks.

Last edited by Jerryr; 12-05-2019 at 06:11 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated, several states require them so I installed them on my truck. They are not expensive. On my '17 Ram 3500 I did not have to modify the hitch. B&W gooseneck kit for the Ram pucks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Andersen Hitch Installed.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	23746
    Last edited by SteveTN; 12-05-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Jerryr I have chains ready to use and do most times connect them to the pin box. I believe there are two states that require them with ANY ball type hitch be it gooseball or bumper hitch. In likelyhood, ones I may never see at least with this fiver in tow.
    If you slip on your pre travel checklist and forget to lock down the Andersen ball pin, a little extra safety isn't a bad thing.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Anderson hitch connected to a B&W turnover ball and love it. I purchased the chain kit even though they are not required in my state. I learned from 28 years in law enforcement you can’t be too safe.
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good reminder for myself. I have been using the Anderson hitch for the last two trailers for about three years now and have yet to buy and install the safety chains which I need to do before Spring comes.