User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

little heat in living room

I have a good amount of heat into the bedroom and bath. However, there is very little heat coming out of the heat vents in the living room on my 305re. There is a little heat out of the vent at the end of the island; however there is no heat from any of the 4 vents under the cabinets where the wine rack is located. Are these just cold air vents? Also, there is little heat from the vent on the stairs leading into the bedroom. Any thoughts? Unit is under warranty, but I would prefer to not pull it to the dealer if not necessary.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vents under the hutch are return air vents, not outlets...don't how about the vent on the stairs of your unit.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD's fix for that is to change one of the return air vents to a heat supply. At least that is what they did on my 369rl and some others that were at the rally. It is a fairly simply fix if you are handy. I think it only took them about an hour for that change. The heat is better, but still not the best. The new 369's that we saw at the factory were getting a different system with metal duct going to the island.
    Tom
    Gen & Tom - Arnold, MO.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #924
    2013 Chevy 3500HD 4X4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
    Trailer Saver Air Hitch
    RVing since 1982

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are having the same issue in our 2020 Solitude. Lots of heat in the bathroom and bedroom. Almost none in the living/kitchen area. One thing I know for sure after owning this unit for seven months is that there is no such thing as Grand Design Quality Control. It does not exist. And the dealer we deal with is even worse.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by animal172 View Post
    We are having the same issue in our 2020 Solitude. Lots of heat in the bathroom and bedroom. Almost none in the living/kitchen area. One thing I know for sure after owning this unit for seven months is that there is no such thing as Grand Design Quality Control. It does not exist. And the dealer we deal with is even worse.
    We've had similar bad experience with quality in our Solitude trailer, and with the dealer.

In our first trailer, a 2018 Reflection, the ducting from the furnace was literally falling apart in the basement utility area. That would be the first thing to check.

The rearmost wall of your basement pass-through storage has a removable section, probably the angled portion of it. Remove the three screws down each side of that panel and lift it away to expose the messy chaos that is the utility space in many Grand Design trailers. Examining the duct work there may reveal the source of your problem and, armed with aluminum duct tape, you may be able to repair it or re-configure it to get more hot air going to the living area.

The furnace needs lots of cold air from the trailer to do its job. Ensuring that all the visible vents in the living area are either blowing warm air or sucking cold air will help. Some people mistakenly block the large open space under the stairs but that's also important to HVAC airflows.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure changing a return air to a outlet register is the right answer. By doing that they are in essence restricting how much output the heater has. It can only flow out what it flows in.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Not sure changing a return air to a outlet register is the right answer. By doing that they are in essence restricting how much output the heater has. It can only flow out what it flows in.
    It's usually best when responding to a message to use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom of the message you're responding to. That copies the original message into yours, improving context and making clear who you're responding to. It also alerts the person you're responding to, so they know to return to the thread and see your response.

Since you didn't do that the caution you posted immediately following my message above makes it look as though you think I was suggesting that return vents should be converted to warm air supply vents. If that's what you're saying, it's incorrect.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    It's usually best when responding to a message to use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom of the message you're responding to. That copies the original message into yours, improving context and making clear who you're responding to. It also alerts the person you're responding to, so they know to return to the thread and see your response.

Since you didn't do that the caution you posted immediately following my message above makes it look as though you think I was suggesting that return vents should be converted to warm air supply vents. If that's what you're saying, it's incorrect.
    I was replying to post 3 . Sorry did not mean to imply it came from you.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I was replying to post 3 . Sorry did not mean to imply it came from you.
    And, post #3 was posted in 2014. I rather imagine they've worked it out by now.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)