User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Hardwire 50 Amp RV Surge Protector in right after we purchased the Solitude. I put the remote where I could see it. It showed a few amp draw almost all the time with the old factory converter. With the new Progressive Dynamics Converter Charger I put in about 5 or 6 months after the rv purchase. I still watch the surge protector remote and many time while the Solitude is parked on the side of the driveway, I'll see 0 amp draw even though it's plugged in. The Progressive Dynamics Converter Charger does a way better job of managing the 2 AGM batteries. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had the same issue (converter failure) which was a progressive and intermittent scenario where the lights would just go dim at times and the fridge would start the “LO DC” error code beep. I called GD and got authorization for a mobile tech visit, then went out and bought a replacement WF9855 from a dealer for him to install, sent the bad one to GD and got a new one overnighted back. I then took the new one to the dealer and essentially got a refund against the one I purchased a week earlier. That way there’s was only a 6 hour outage and no one got “hurt” in the process.

KenDiS: Out of curiosity, what symptoms did you experience leading to converter failure and was it sudden, over a period of time like mine or what?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id get the battery tested, if its shorted no battery charger will work. But as others have said 10 amps is probably not enough to keep it charged.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to my shorted battery comment, this could also be what killed the converter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDiS View Post
    Thanks all for the input.

Got our new Progressive Dynamics Converter Charger installed this morning. Thanks orbiker for posting the link to the crossover chart.

Looking back, I now realize our WF 9855 has been an issue since we took delivery. The batteries never took a full charge (or held it) when hooked up to shore power since the first trip out. The times we weren't on shore power, we were running our generator and still had issues with the batteries fully charging. Not once did I think it was the charger converter on the fritz, assumed it was poor battery management on my part.

Thanks again for the replies.

Ken
    Was it easy to replace? just unplug the old one and plug in the new one and connect the battery cable? I need to upgrade mine as well.
    It appears the old one is plugged in to a outlet back of fuse box.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    local home depot or lowe’s is your friend. but the biggest charger you can find

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered that your battery/batteries may be bad and that it may have affected the converter?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point to be sure the battery is good. I took mine out and had it tested first to eliminate that as an issue.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Symptom? The batteries intermittently never got a full charge (on shore power, generator) unless the batteries were removed from the trailer and charged at home. When it fully failed, the lights slowly dimmed, the fridge threw a code (this was one week into the trip as the juice from the new batteries was used up. The symptoms started first trip out when purchased new. The batteries were removed and tested by the local auto parts store. The batteries were fine. As were the new batteries that were installed prior to the trip the charger converter failed. We have been using a surge protector since day one.

I got the largest battery charger available after hours. As one would expect, things typically fail at the most inconvenient times. After hours, just made the weeks grocery run, etc.....

The swap was plug and play with basic tools. Phillips screwdriver, allen wrench, wire cutter, cordless drill / bit to mount the "pendant" outside of the hutch. I did have to cut the ground wire (The ground wire appeared to be on a continuous run through the lug of the factory installed charger converter. It seemed easier to cut the wire and made a run to the new converter), I used a split nut purchased from the local hardware store and a section of the original ground wire to make a run for the ground for the new charger converter. The whole job was about an hour (if that).

I have the learned that the "status" lights on the control panel are a reference (at best). I'll be coming up with a better way to monitor the batteries.

The new charger converter is working wonderfully.
    Last edited by KenDiS; 01-05-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to hear you’re up and running again! Agree “shit happens” typically at the most inopportune time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast