User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    Was it easy to replace? just unplug the old one and plug in the new one and connect the battery cable? I need to upgrade mine as well.
    It appears the old one is plugged in to a outlet back of fuse box.
    They are super simple to replace.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KenDiS View Post
    Hello,

Symptom? The batteries intermittently never got a full charge (on shore power, generator) unless the batteries were removed from the trailer and charged at home. When it fully failed, the lights slowly dimmed, the fridge threw a code (this was one week into the trip as the juice from the new batteries was used up. The symptoms started first trip out when purchased new. The batteries were removed and tested by the local auto parts store. The batteries were fine. As were the new batteries that were installed prior to the trip the charger converter failed. We have been using a surge protector since day one.

I got the largest battery charger available after hours. As one would expect, things typically fail at the most inconvenient times. After hours, just made the weeks grocery run, etc.....

The swap was plug and play with basic tools. Phillips screwdriver, allen wrench, wire cutter, cordless drill / bit to mount the "pendant" outside of the hutch. I did have to cut the ground wire (The ground wire appeared to be on a continuous run through the lug of the factory installed charger converter. It seemed easier to cut the wire and made a run to the new converter), I used a split nut purchased from the local hardware store and a section of the original ground wire to make a run for the ground for the new charger converter. The whole job was about an hour (if that).

I have the learned that the "status" lights on the control panel are a reference (at best). I'll be coming up with a better way to monitor the batteries.

The new charger converter is working wonderfully.
    I know this is way after the fact, I had a similar problem in my last trailer. WFCO converter 8900 series not the 9800 series that many of the GD RV trailers have. The 8900 series failed several times. Cracked solder welds and then component failures. The first time it failed I was camping about 2 hours away from home. Nothing like have a generator running and nothing charging. It was in the middle of Fall and cold at night. Luckily, I had converted the trailer to LED bulbs for power savings. The next morning I drove out and found a local tractor supply and purchased a battery charger 10 amps. Similar to what you did. I just had to manage with 10 amps of use which actually ran the lights and heat just fine. You just needed to be aware when certain things run. The furnace motor gobbled up the most juice The water pump sucked down some power. The lights was not as much as expected. However that battery charger stayed with me for the couple of years I continued to own that trailer as well as our Reflection trailer. Prior to moving on in trailers, I purchased a 9270 converter from Progressive Dynamics for that trailer. It was a best thing next to the fans I did to that trailer. It was a powerful lesson.

However, I think I will be looking at updating the converter on the trailer as the next major upgrade. I will probably install a voltage monitor into the trailer to keep an eye on the battery. So far so good with the current battery and the converter but it seems these WFCOs like to fail for some reason. muttering under my breath ($*@&!_$*#&%$)#@)!_$*%&$@ LoL
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'm going through this same thing right now. I have the 9855 converter. What did you upgrade to and why is it better?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hey, I'm going through this same thing right now. I have the 9855 converter. What did you upgrade to and why is it better?
    Every RV owner should read this. It's a bit outdated, but still some very important information.
    http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

HERE is the crossover converter list.

A 4 stage converter will make your batteries last a lot longer. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123