User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you towing your Reflection 320 MKS with?

Hello Grand Design community. My wife and I are getting close to retiring and hitting the road in a fifth wheel. We both really like the Reflection 320 MKS but are not sure which tow vehicle to buy. I am partial to Ford, been driving an F 150 for a while. I'd like to hear the thoughts and suggestions from any/all who are towing the 320 MKS.

Thanks all and happy trails.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum jetmech84. Pin wt of the 320mks will be between 2300 and 2800. In my opinion that puts you in a one ton truck. But you can probably get by with SRW instead of dually. Hope that helps...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not towing one myself, but if I was looking to buy one I'd go with a F-350 SRW (6.7L Diesel or new 7.3 gas based on preference and how you use the truck when not towing). Pay attention to truck payload rating to ensure it is rated to handle both the pin weight of the trailer, all occupants, and anything else you'd have in the truck (including 5th wheel hitch). Also look at the truck's axle ratio (6.2L is only rated to tow that trailer with optioned 4.3 axle ratio, not standard 3.73). DRW if desired, but not required as long as you have enough payload rating with the SRW. Google 2020 (or year of truck you're looking at) Ford Towing Guide for the 5th wheel tow rating for different configurations, but do NOT go by the guide for payload as the trim level and options you choose on a truck will significantly impact your payload rating...thus, you need to check the door sticker on the truck you're looking at buying (whether private sale or dealer).

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Boom ‘r Bust. I was looking at the F 350 as an option. Thanks again for the advice.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you GDOwner. I have never towed anything heavier than a 2000 pound fishing boat so never paid much attention to the payload stickers. I just went and looked at the one in my F150 and totally get what you’re saying. Good info and advice. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jetman,

You're gonna love this layout.

We bought one of the very first, (actually #3 of the 307 MKS builds) in Feb/2017, when they first debuted, and boy am I glad we did.
    I had planned on a 303 RLS and even ordered one but after reading all the problems GD owners were having with their sub-par suspensions, breaking hanger welds, 15" wheels, etc.
    I opted for the 307 instead, mostly because of the upgraded build quality.

10" I-beams IPO 8", 6,000# axles wt 3,000 # springs IPO 5,200 # wt 2,500 # springs, 16" wheels IPO 15 "....and the frig is on the rear wall which makes both slides about same weight.
    NO leaning to one side !! The floorplan was not as much a concern compared to the construction's engineering, but we did love the rear desk for laptop usage, and the spacious counter for cooking etc.
    Then , to have the outdoor TV with dual cook top and small frig for refreshments was a clincher.
    In addition, we were able to get ours with the 8 cf frig before the mandatory upgrade to 12 cf.
    The side cabinets are perfect for heavy kitchen items and we always travel wt a small 3 cf freezer which rolls nicely under the island when we park so we always have deep frozen foods.

Frankly, I'm surprised the 320 sales haven't taken off more ??

It was 32' 6" back then and did not have a bed slide which made the pin weight a mere 1,605 #s . Perfect for my 3/4 ton F-250 and with a NCC of 2,995 lbs. !!!
    Now, we NEVER carry more than a thousand pounds.... so at 11K total Loaded VW, its a great fit for our truck which has a GCWR of 20K #s
    In addition, because the water tank is behind the axles, it offsets the pin weight considerably.
    A half tank of water can trim almost 150 lbs from my pin weight !!

You'll definitely need a one ton TV, but a SRW should have plenty of payload for the new 320's. I see GD has made them longer as well.
    We really like the shorter version as we can get into many state and federal parks w/o length issues. 32' is just about perfect for those access requirements.

To each his own.... but all that extra length, weighs a lot more and costs a lot more to tow around....especially when you travel like we do !

Whatever you choose, all the best of luck to you !!

Michael

BTW , here's a pic of my kitchen mod...real stone backsplash !!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190110_123848 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	23782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170829_131157 (2).jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	23783
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice kitchen mod! It looks terrific - thank you for sharing. I might have to look into doing that as well. I am hearing and reading a lot of people talking about shorter RV's being the way to go to get past some of the length restrictions at certain parks. I did see the 307 on the GD website but we like the washer/dryer prep in the 320. I don't think the 307 can be optioned for that?? So when you ordered your 303RLS how long was it going to take from order to delivery? Sorry for all the questions but I am a planner by nature - don't like surprises! Thank you for your response, I very much appreciate any help from anyone any time.

Alan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmech84 View Post
    Nice kitchen mod! It looks terrific - thank you for sharing. I might have to look into doing that as well. I am hearing and reading a lot of people talking about shorter RV's being the way to go to get past some of the length restrictions at certain parks. I did see the 307 on the GD website but we like the washer/dryer prep in the 320. I don't think the 307 can be optioned for that?? So when you ordered your 303RLS how long was it going to take from order to delivery? Sorry for all the questions but I am a planner by nature - don't like surprises! Thank you for your response, I very much appreciate any help from anyone any time.

Alan
    Hi Alan,

When I ordered my unit, I did so because GD was having a winter sale whereby they gave me the one touch auto level and the second awning for free !!
    Might be smart to check out if they still do such a thing, but this was in Dec 2016 and GD wanted to keep their crew busy during the off season.
    May be different now that Winnebago are owners ???
    Still...never hurts to ask , (but ask a different dealer than you're working with), as they would rather keep the profit for the freebies, if you don't know !!
    Yeah, its still business

Generally, it takes 4-8 weeks depending on production schedule.

I've done quite a few long term trips and never missed the washer/dryer. CG's usually have good facilities and most FT'ers we've met don't have or miss use the W/D, so it's a matter of "creeping elegance" I believe more than convenience. The loads are quite small anyways...

As far as not liking surprises....
    Ya better work on that, my friend, because RV'ing is never boring, rarely goes according to plan and it is FULL OF SURPRISES, as you will inevitable discover !!!

Ha ha ha !!

Michael
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, thanks Michael! I should have been more specific about the planner thing. I really don't want to purchase the wrong RV or truck or wait too long to order an RV and not have it in time. The rest I can deal with.
    I'm a little surprised about the washer/dryer think though. I would think it would be a convenience to have your own. My wife and I will have to rethink that part of it.

Thanks again,

Alan

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jetmech,
    We have a 2019 320 - love the layout! I tow with a 2015 F350 SRW encountering no problems. Been over Monteagle, thru White mtns, Green Mtns and to the Keys. No problems at all. Actually after bumper hitch towing for years (with F150) its easy to forget it is back there (until you look in the rearview!). Our truck has the 8 ft bed which allows a standard (non-sliding) hitch. Can't speak to using that one so don't know pluses or minuses. Our rig is easy to hook up.
    Minus to F350, especially with long bed, even without a trailer attached the turning radius is huge. I've hear an F450 has a much smaller turning radius, but they cost a bit more. (ok a lot more!)
    Bottom line F350 SRW works just fine with 320MKS
    As far as engine selection, i've heard stories of gas powered rigs not finding places to refuel when hooked up due to length etc. Diesel can always go to a truck stop. Think there may even we a thread in this site discussing that.
    Best of luck in your choices!
    Eric
    Eric and Carolyn
    Louisville KY
    2015 Ford F350
    2019 Reflection 320MKS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast