User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Rig Walk-thru

We are picking up our new 2020 344 GK-R Thursday. Pretty excited! We've been full-timing in our 2010 Jayco Greyhawk for the last couple months as we shopped around for our next rig.
    At any rate looking for top 10 things to look for or check during our walk-through.

Thanks
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure all systems work.....heating, cooling, put water in FW tank and run pump. Put water in all sinks (put stoppers in) and check under the sinks for leaks. All of my sinks leaked when new. Awning/s in-out, slides in-out, auto level system. Fill water heater and make sure it works. Lighting check. Open/close all interior/exterior doors. Both TV's, make sure you get OTA signals.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    We are picking up our new 2020 344 GK-R Thursday. Pretty excited! We've been full-timing in our 2010 Jayco Greyhawk for the last couple months as we shopped around for our next rig.
    At any rate looking for top 10 things to look for or check during our walk-through.

Thanks
    There really isn't just "10 top" ones. Check everything (don't want to be bringing it back in a couple of weeks for work).

Bring something to make sure all outlets work. Do blinds work? How about the windows? Flip all light switches. Correct air pressure in tires. Does awning open/close? Do all key/locks work?

This site is helpful: http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/PDC_AB.pdf

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I will definitely use this list. The dealer may not appreciate it but this is our home.
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I will definitely use this list. The dealer may not appreciate it but this is our home.
    It's a good idea to take your time. When we did ours, the dealer had already filled the fresh water tank for us to check the water flow and all.

Another thing, IF you find/see something you don't think is right (as minor as it may be), say something. Otherwise it'll bug you forever once you're living in the rig.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    It's a good idea to take your time. When we did ours, the dealer had already filled the fresh water tank for us to check the water flow and all.

Another thing, IF you find/see something you don't think is right (as minor as it may be), say something. Otherwise it'll bug you forever once you're living in the rig.
    This is very important. There are cosmetic type things that need to be documented within 72 hours if memory serves to get warranty coverage. When we picked up our 381, we noticed a smudge on one of the freezer doors. It looked like there was glue residue from one of the factory stickers that someone tried to remove with something abrasive. I noticed it but didn't say anything. Months later when we took the RV to the dealer for our warranty "punch list", that was one of the items. Grand Design initially denied the warranty to the dealer because it was passed the 72 hour point. I called Austin at GD CS and spoke with him, and they did agree to cover the freezer door. It would have been easier and better to document it during our PDI than dealing with it after the fact. Good Luck and safe travels...

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 12-09-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Remove run-on sentence.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are picking up our new 2020 344 GK-R Thursday. Pretty excited! We've been full-timing in our 2010 Jayco Greyhawk for the last couple months as we shopped around for our next rig. At any rate looking for top 10 things to look for or check during our walk-through.
    Thanks
    Grand Design dealers are supposed to do a very thorough Pre-Delivery Inspection. We were shown a PDI list with somewhere between 75 and 100 items on it, each one very neatly checked off (someone sat at a desk and checked them all off!) Within days we had found a large handful of items that had clearly NOT been checked so it went back to the dealer, and after we got it back weeks later and used it for just two weeks we found nearly a dozen more things. Our trailer was on the dealer's lot for nearly five months of the first six months we owned it.

So if I buy another trailer I'll ask the dealer for the complete factory PDI checklist when I arrive to pick it up and I'll spend hours checking every single item on that list myself before completing the transaction with the dealer. I'll also let the dealer know in advance that I am going to do that, to improve the odds that the dealer might actually do a PDI before I get there, and I might be able to pull the trailer away that day rather than postpone buying it while the dealer fixed issues not found in the PDI the dealer didn't do.

I was foolish and learned this the hard way: invest your time at the beginning, when the dealer still has some incentive to look after you, rather than after you pull it off the lot.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    ..... invest your time at the beginning, when the dealer still has some incentive to look after you, rather than after you pull it off the lot.
    What @boyscout said (many times over!)

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and another thing - it's OK to not accept delivery until everything you find is fixed. That's what the inspection is for.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other point I want to express is there will be items that will need to be addressed during the initial PDI, and what has been said is true. The dealer will be more motivated to get those items taken care of pending delivery. After you use the RV a few times, there may also be items you notice that will need to be addressed. The way we worked with our dealer was we brought the RV to them, had them evaluate the issues and order parts, then we took the RV home. I could not justify my new RV sitting on their lot unusable while they went through the warranty and parts ordering process. Now, these were minor issues that did not affect the use of the RV. Another caveat is my warranty dealer is only a couple of miles from home, so I was able to go face to face with them checking on status. Much better than a phone call. In the end, we were able to use the RV in the mean time. It might have take longer to get the items fixed that way, but it worked out better for us. I can't see losing use of the RV while the dealer farts around getting things fixed. YMMV.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast