User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newby Solar Install on 2670MK

Need your help/thoughts....I myself have not put as much thought into this as I would like but think I have decided to purchase this 200 watt Renogy solar kit from Amazon as I believe it is a screaming good deal (thx to @Nrbsrsr for flagging it)....actually putting the word out that I would like it for Christmas.....I know this kit is not the most advanced technology but it seems to me to be serviceable and very cost effective.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

My plan is to add a second 12v battery in parallel to match the one I have. I know that there are advantages associated with going with 2-6V in series but I have an almost new 12v and can't see not using it. May change when I need new batteries....This is what I am planning to go with purchased from Costco....
    https://www.costco.com/interstate-27...100476408.html

I haven't measured the battery storage "rail" on the tongue yet but think I can mount a second battery box next to the existing box. Thinking I will buy following from Amazon to make that work....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8BY6TBEM&psc=1

I may very well want to add a third and maybe a fourth solar panel to the kit and think that the controller can handle it (?). May also want to add a third 12v battery in parallel at some point but I think that would mean welding an add'l set of rails on the tongue(?).

So that is my current plan - probably will not do the install until spring but going to get the Renogy kit as it is cheap at the moment. Down the road, I think I will need an inverter and a generator as a back up to the solar. I do not have the inverter picked out but was thinking that my needs would be relatively limited so I don't need to buy the be all, end all of inverters. I would love to get a Honda 2200i generator but it is pricey. Also was looking at the Yamaha from Costco but, as I said, that is longer term. Maybe pick up the Yamaha if it would go on sale....
    https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-1600...100343958.html

Buckaroo
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 12-10-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 2650 dual G29 battery boxes would not fit between the frame rails, I made a longer tray to fit on top of the frame. Dual 6V golf cart batteries will fit between the rails.
    If you add extra panels later they must match the spec's of the original ones to use the same controller. I went with a MPPT controller for the added efficiency.
    Do you have the real estate on the roof for 4 panels?
    My panels are portable. We camp in some sites that are shaded so fixed roof panels won't work for us.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    On our 2650 dual G29 battery boxes would not fit between the frame rails, I made a longer tray to fit on top of the frame. Dual 6V golf cart batteries will fit between the rails.
    If you add extra panels later they must match the spec's of the original ones to use the same controller. I went with a MPPT controller for the added efficiency.
    Do you have the real estate on the roof for 4 panels?
    My panels are portable. We camp in some sites that are shaded so fixed roof panels won't work for us.
    jmbopp -

Thx for the comments. The TT is in storage so I haven't gone out there yet to take any measurements. I need to check the length of the tongue rail for the extra battery and see how much area I have on top. I think the panels are about 4' x 2' so that is quite a bit of space. I am sure (?) I can handle the two but need to verify beyond that. Do you think your 2650rk would have an issue? I am about 2.5 ft longer.

I also sometimes camp in shady spots so fixed roof mounting is something to think about. I was thinking that even if you are not in full sunlight, the panels will still be active but don't know to what extent. Another thing I have not thought through. If I was selecting a controller, I would likely have gone with an MPPT but this kit comes with a PWM. I am going with a kit just because I think it is cheaper and of reasonable quality. I suspect that the controller efficiency difference is not huge on this small of a system (?). Would love to substitute an MPPT and pay the difference but I have read that Renogy is not into that - future upgrade opportunity.

Buckaroo
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 12-11-2019 at 04:28 AM.
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shade kills the solar panel output. I haven't checked to see if I have enough room on the roof since I didn't go that route.
    Yes, your trailer is longer but do you have dual A/C units?
    I see the kit comes with "Y" adapters so a PWM controller will work.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a second AC unit but there is a vent in place and it is wired for a second one. So the area is taken and I would want to leave room for the second AC should I decide to install it. Without looking, I was thinking I could run them lenght wise down the sides, two on each. Need to look but it won't be today....
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    The TT is in storage so I haven't gone out there yet to take any measurements. I need to check the length of the tongue rail for the extra battery and see how much area I have on top.
    Mine's in the back yard. I'll post measurements and photos this evening when I get home from work.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Gimpyknee - Thanks....Buckaroo
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have to use a 2-layer effect....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191214_102317702.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	23860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191214_102006446~2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	23861

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Gimpyknee - Thank you for the pictures. Agree that I am not going to fit two group 27 batteries in that place - battery itself is 12.75 inches long plus the box.
    @jmbopp - could you provide a picture of the tray you made and detail on metal/gauge? Assume it sits on top of the frame rails. I like the way the current battery nests between the frame rails but not going to happen.

Buckaroo
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1327.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	23880

1-1/2" scrap angle iron I had, 32" X 8-1/2" stick welded together. I set the tray on the frame and C-clamped the angle mounts to the tray then welded them on.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast