User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With flooded lead acid batteries, they should all be the exact same age/make ideally so they do not wear each other out.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also new to solar and have been reading quite a bit. I have definitely seen that, like most things, there many different ways to do it. I also took advantage of a Renogy package deal recently to help get me started. I am starting with my existing single flooded lead acid 12 v battery, but I do hope to eventually catch a deal on a lithium iron phosphate battery. Everything seems to get much better once you get to LiFePO. Higher capacity, deeper discharge, smaller and dramatically lighter batteries, faster recovery. For these reasons, I started with a modest MPPT charger. The package included a bluetooth module that allows me to take advantage of the Renogy smart phone app which has some quirks but has been excellent for my educational process. I can see stats on how much I am using and generating with my single 100 watt panel (currently). I notice that the majority of setups I see include roof mounted panels and can see the convenience, but I agree with the huge benefits of camping in the shade and maintaining maximum efficiency by positioning the panel optimally and adjusting it periodically. Maybe the best of both worlds is to mount a couple of panels on the roof and use branch connectors to use a couple of remote panels in conjunction. I would love to eventually take care of almost all of my camping power needs with solar. I am not a microwaver and rarely dry camp where I need air conditioning, but there's nothing more valuable than A/C when you need it. I would also love a couple of 2000 Watt Hondas or Yamahas, but something like this has a tempting price https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XZX5FTR/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please keep us updated. I have the same model and looking to add a second battery, inverter for the gfci outlets (but need to get the tv on those instead of fireplace circuit), and considering solar. Curious about solar mounting and doubt I would ever add the 2nd ac unit.

Regarding a generator we got a champion dual fuel 3400, same cost as honda, slightly louder, near power of two Hondas. We have boondocked 9 of 11 trips since Memorial Day. Generator was a must have for ac but looknig to use it much less if not at all one cool weather hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you ended up installing. I have a 1200 Watts of solar on the roof. I have a Victron 100V/50A MPPT solar controller, Victron BMS, 2X Kilovault 2100 12V batteries run in series. Victron 3000W inverter Charger 24v. 24V to 12V DC converter.

Spend money on a good inverter if you think you may use one. Better inverters have a pass through voltage and generally a transfer switch.

I chose to stay away from Lithium for the time being. I had purchased two separate Tesla 5.2KWH batteries I was going to use. The both caught on fire at UPS facilities while in transit.

Plug for Kilovault. Made in the USA (Puerto Rico). The 2100 is a special AGM that has more useful capacity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested to know just how your solar was installed and how you passed through to the Solar Charger, I also have recently installed a Victron 3k, 100/50 MPPT, Smart Phase Selector. About to mount 525 watts of solar. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Newby Solar Install on 2670MK

Quote Originally Posted by pktrusty View Post
    ...I had purchased two separate Tesla 5.2KWH batteries I was going to use. They both caught on fire at UPS facilities while in transit...
    WOW

That’s terrible, but I’m not surprised.
    Tesla batteries only come one way; from a wrecked car. You can’t buy them new.

This is a great reason to spend the extra money on a lithium battery that comes with a BMS.
    It’s pretty much a impossible for something like this to happen with batteries like Battle Born, Renogy, Lion Energy, or Victron.

I’ve seen numerous examples of cheap inverters causing fires as well. This is what happens when someone spends only $300 on a 3000-watt inverter. I wouldn’t try to cut corners with something that could burn my RV to the ground (with me in it).

You get what you pay for with electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12