User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 20K PullRite Super Glide in a RAM 3500 towing a 384GK.

We also get that acceleration surge sometimes. As you stated, usually when making a right turn coming from a complete stop. I try and take it really easy around those right turns for that reason, and it does help. Now that I expect it, it's not bad.

We chunk and clunk a little too much, but adjusting per the manual resolves it. I spoke to PullRite customer service and they suggested making that adjustment tight enough so that when you manually try to turn the hitch with one of your arms, it takes effort but you can turn it through the 0 degree point. In other words, make it firm, so it takes a fair amount of oomph, but if you can do it with one arm, surely the forces from towing 16000ish pounds will turn the arm without issue. That firmness prevents the chunk and clunk. I asked and they said i could use a little of the loctite which i do. But the temperature changes (like driving down to florida) require adjustment.

We do lubricate on every trip. part of the checklist. We keep a can of WD40 in the console of the truck in a ziploc and spray down the rails that the assembly travels on before each trip.

We have had occasionally bucking on rough roads (or those roads with the breaks every 10 yards or so). Now I understand what is causing it - the slight tugging on the truck. Having it a little looser didn't help. Slowing down helps.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the same hitch and experience the same symptoms. I have played with the adjustments a bit and it helped. Like others, now that I know it's there (sometimes), Im more prepared for it. I was hoping to see a resolution for it in this thread, but I guess not.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought based on some recent events with my Superglide. We sold our old 5th wheel and bought a new 2020 Reflection. I did not want to change hitches so I had the dealer order a new capture plate for me and install it so it would be ready at PDI/Pickup time. I needed the lift kit for raising the hitch up 3 inches but the dealer didn't have one in stock. We went ahead and towed the trailer home (3 hours) Something felt different but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I had that same weird surge feeling you described. Once I added the 3" lift kit I could now see in my rear view mirror something that was disturbing. The new capture plate had major slop in it while turning. It would actually set crooked by about an inch as we drove down the road either to the right or left of center depending which way we had turned. So when I turned, the capture plate was delaying in activating the hitch until the slop was taken up and then it jerked. I explained to the dealer what had happened and they replaced it with the correct size model no questions asked. That solved my 'Weird" feeling (for lack of a better term) and it hasn't returned in several trips.

There should be no slop when the capture plate is mounted to the king pin according to PullRite.

I hope this is helpful.

Safe travels.
    Last edited by Fivecodys; 02-17-2021 at 05:26 PM.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Just a thought based on some recent events with my Superglide. We sold our old 5th wheel and bought a new 2020 Reflection. I did not want to change hitches so I had the dealer order a new capture plate for me and install it so it would be ready at PDI/Pickup time. I needed the lift kit for raising the hitch up 3 inches but the dealer didn't have one in stock. We went ahead and towed the trailer home (3 hours) Something felt different but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. I had that same weird surge feeling you described. Once I added the 3" lift kit I could now see in my rear view mirror something that was disturbing. The new capture plate had major slop in it while turning. It would actually set crooked by about an inch as we drove down the road either to the right or left of center depending which way we had turned. So when I turned, the capture plate was delaying in activating the hitch until the slop was taken up and then it jerked. I explained to the dealer what had happened and they replaced it with the correct size model no questions asked. That solved my 'Weird" feeling (for lack of a better term) and it hasn't returned in several trips.

There should be no slop when the capture plate is mounted to the king pin according to PullRite.

I hope this is helpful.

Safe travels.
    Wow - great post ! You may have nailed it.....this certainly makes sense. I have never experienced this dramatic surge some folks have shared (along with you) so I had a tough time figuring this out as noted in my post #3 .

Thanks, much for sharing this !

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 02-18-2021 at 09:06 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    The new capture plate had major slop in it while turning. It would actually set crooked by about an inch as we drove down the road either to the right or left of center depending which way we had turned. So when I turned, the capture plate was delaying in activating the hitch until the slop was taken up and then it jerked.
    I hope this is helpful.
    I concur and found my issue to be exactly as you mentioned. In my case it was the rail adjustments on the hitch the "hugged" the pin box. Mine had backed out a bit, didn't look like much but had a dramatic impact on the surge noted.
    Would suggest Loctite, lock washers, etc. something to prevent these from loosening over time.

I've moved to the Goosebox now. Had to replace the truck, was time to re-think the whole set-up
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting about capture plate issue. Mine "seems" to fit perfectly on the pinbox and I can't move it by hand no matter how hard I try. Granted, there's a whole helluva lot more force engaged with the trailer turning vs me doing by hand. I'll have to arrange a way to video it for my next trip.

I don't feel this all the time, and the times I have, i adjusted the turntable itself to make it harder/add more friction. Wondering if maybe Im actually too tight and it's not turning smoothly enough.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Interesting about capture plate issue. Mine "seems" to fit perfectly on the pinbox and I can't move it by hand no matter how hard I try. Granted, there's a whole helluva lot more force engaged with the trailer turning vs me doing by hand. I'll have to arrange a way to video it for my next trip.

I don't feel this all the time, and the times I have, i adjusted the turntable itself to make it harder/add more friction. Wondering if maybe Im actually too tight and it's not turning smoothly enough.

Mike
    Mike - Our capture plate fits snug with nearly no movement. It has no movement front to back but I can twist it just a bit with a little play between the pin box face and the capture plate edge......but just barely and it is not an issue.

Pullrite states to ensure the turntable adjuster at the front of the hitch is really snug where it can be moved by hand but with a pretty good force. We had ours too loose when we bought our 303 but after reading forum feedback here we keep it tight all the time, no more noises at all.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Mike - Our capture plate fits snug with nearly no movement. It has no movement front to back but I can twist it just a bit with a little play between the pin box face and the capture plate edge......but just barely and it is not an issue.

Pullrite states to ensure the turntable adjuster at the front of the hitch is really snug where it can be moved by hand but with a pretty good force. We had ours too loose when we bought our 303 but after reading forum feedback here we keep it tight all the time, no more noises at all.

Dan
    Thanks Dan

My turntable is pretty tight. It takes a good amount of force to move it. Actually was worried at one point that it was TOO tight, but doesn't appear to be.

First time it was loose and banging around in the back (not hooked up), I called Pullrite and was like "what the heck is this dang thing doing"? Mine wasn't adjusted properly on installation. Felt better after talking to the tech.

i still do get the slamming from time to time turning from a stop.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12