User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pullrite SuperGlide Surge & Bucking; Thoughts?

I've been towing 5th wheels using a B&W Companion for years. No issues and solid ride.

This Solitude front cap is much further forward than my previous trailer, making me more cautious about crunching the cab.
    Well... Even being very careful, I pulled into a campground with a tight entrance and a downward slope. Bad combination. contacted cab and, luckily, only minor damage.

That was it... Auto-slider time.

Purchased and installed the 18k superglide with the Ram factory rail kit to install it.
    Installation went smooth, all bolts torqued properly, height set up to match the previous hitch, etc...

When towing, the largest issue I have is a major "Surge" when accelerating from a corner.
    This only happens when turning at an intersection from a slow speed (starting from a stop sign turning right for example). While accelerating, once the trailer gets close to strait, you can feel a major surge. I "feel" like this is when the sliding gear disengages.
    It's VERY noticeable with a large jolt/surge.

There is no "Clunk" or any noise. There is no slop when accelerating/decelerating normally (A common adjustment needed with this hitch).
    Thought I'd ask here before going to the manufacturer.

The second item I noticed, and could likely just be the different hitch, but I get a lot of bucking (front to back push/pull, not porpoising) with this hitch compared to the B&W... It's a night and day difference!
    It's difficult to quantify the difference, or expect someone to confirm it's "normal", but I'd be interested to hear about other's experiences that may be similar.

Thanks and appreciate any insight you may have!
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post
    I've been towing 5th wheels using a B&W Companion for years. No issues and solid ride.

The Pullrite is the only hitch I've used in a pickup / 5th wheel so my two cents is probably worth much less. However FWIW I haven't noticed the surge coming out of corners that you describe, I have noticed (anybody would on mine) clunking on start-stop even though the hitch is carefully adjusted, I haven't noticed forward-back surge but our lightly-loaded 310GK bucks like a rodeo horse (porpoises) over bad bumps and bridge transitions on our stock F350.

Dunno if anything there is helpful to you, but it's free.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A surge when accelerating from the corner.......hmm not certain just what this may be or mean but in our 6 seasons with our 16K/2700 Superglide (SG), I cannot say anything like this has occurred with our setup. With the dynamics of the SG, as one is straightening out from a turn, the camper is "pulling" on the truck as the cam moves and the trailer is moving forward to the straight position. Once the hitch is straight on, of course, the "pulling" on the truck stops. I can see where if one is accelerating hard and pulling a heavy load, it may seem like the truck has a momentarily forward thrust in an "acceleration jerk." I usually do slow to moderate acceleration out of a turn and this may be why I have not experienced this. I will have to try it faster/harder next spring to see if this may be the case.

What happens when you accelerate slowly or moderately or going down hill out of a turn ? It would be interesting to see a video of your hitch in action. Some folks have done this over the years and it is quite interesting what really goes on.

As far as the chucking (backward and forward condition), when this happens to us it is usually on the same sections of road (usually concrete) where is has also occurred when towing our tandem axle boat trailer and our prior 294 Cougar TT over the years........worse under braking as seems to be the case with most folks as well.

Are the differences between your prior hitch and your SG happening in the same sections of roads, same RV, same truck, etc. ? Apples to apples would seem to lead one to think then that there may be something needing attention with your SG and a call to Pullrite is prudent.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    What happens when you accelerate slowly or moderately or going down hill out of a turn ? It would be interesting to see a video of your hitch in action. Some folks have done this over the years and it is quite interesting what really goes on. Dan

I will need to get a camera in there to see. I'm not a hard accelerator usually, and the "jolt" is quite shocking. Not sure about downhill?

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Are the differences between your prior hitch and your SG happening in the same sections of roads, same RV, same truck, etc. ? Dan

Yes, Apples to Apples. Same roads and destinations. Same trailer and truck loading. World of difference between the two and was quite surprised.
    If I had started with this hitch I would've chalked it up to "that's just how it is pulling a 16k fifth wheel"; with the exception of the "Jolt/lurch/etc... when straitening.

Will definitely get a camera in there in the spring to see... great idea.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get occasional bucking when the truck does not shift down when accelerating up hill. The trailer weight tends to push and pull on the truck until it down shifts and gets some speed. Also on some really bad roads as the trailer wheels hits the bumps it pulls on the truck a little bit. Other then that it rides really smooth behind me and I have to look to make sure its there. I do have to adjust to remove the clunking that occurs when stopping and starting more then I like to. It could be that I'm not getting the bolt tight enough or not adjusting it right.

Keep in mind the manual does state that you should lube the slide rails each time you hook up the trailer so it can ride on the glides smoothly.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 18k superglide on the factory puck system and have not noticed any surges while accelerating from a corner. I will get an occasional clunk.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the instructions there is a procedure to adjust the turntable cam arm assembly. Here is one of the notes about why.... "...If you are experiencing a bump or “clunk” when starting or stopping, or if the hitch is sliding up and down the way tubes when you are not hooked up to the trailer you can perform this adjustment to reduce the noise and keep the hitch in the forward towing position when not trailering...."

Also, maybe lubricate it (although that seem silly if it new).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hitch does the same thing. It’s my only disappointment with it actually, and I have considered switching to a different system because of it. I think it’s just a normal byproduct of the way the hitch operates when it comes back to center. I just try to take it easy on the throttle until I get straightened out.
    2011 GMC 2500 SLE Duramax, (sold)
    2020 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 Duramax
    2018 Reflection 303RLS (sold)
    2022 Momentum 351M

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 18k and are pulling a 384gk. And we have the exact same symptom. First time it happened (accelerating slightly around a corner) I jumped out to make sure the hitch was on right. It’s fully adjusted (just a little looseness and the clunking and chunking is really bad) and it still happens occasionally. But I am more cautious to keep speed even when making a turn now.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfs673 View Post

This Solitude front cap is much further forward than my previous trailer, making me more cautious about crunching the cab.
    Well... Even being very careful, I pulled into a campground with a tight entrance and a downward slope. Bad combination. contacted cab and, luckily, only minor damage.

That was it... Auto-slider time.

Purchased and installed the 18k superglide with the Ram factory rail kit to install it.
    Installation went smooth, all bolts torqued properly, height set up to match the previous hitch, etc...

When towing, the largest issue I have is a major "Surge" when accelerating from a corner.
    This only happens when turning at an intersection from a slow speed (starting from a stop sign turning right for example). While accelerating, once the trailer gets close to strait, you can feel a major surge. I "feel" like this is when the sliding gear disengages.
    It's VERY noticeable with a large jolt/surge.

There is no "Clunk" or any noise. There is no slop when accelerating/decelerating normally (A common adjustment needed with this hitch).
    Thought I'd ask here before going to the manufacturer.

The second item I noticed, and could likely just be the different hitch, but I get a lot of bucking (front to back push/pull, not porpoising) with this hitch compared to the B&W... It's a night and day difference!
    It's difficult to quantify the difference, or expect someone to confirm it's "normal", but I'd be interested to hear about other's experiences that may be similar.

We towed a Solitude 310GK with the 16K PullRite. I attributed the noise and the “surge” to the hitch head turning off of the tension plate that holds the hitch in the straight position. I also had to tighten up the mount points by a slot on each of the castle nuts that adjusted how tightly the the hitch was held in the GM puck system. You could try loosening the tension plate a little so the hitch head releases off the plate a little easier.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast