User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TPMS added on trailer....... questions on pressure and temp??

Hey all,

Don't think I've posted before, but I have been around for awhile and must say thanks to many, and the great advice/tips I have received or taken from other posts.
    Well, finally have a question that I can't seem to find the answer for....
    I have A 2017 Momentum 376TH with the standard stock Westlake tires, triple axle obviously. After a couple of years of driving drown the road and hearing "that strange noise", or "the rubbing sound", and always wondering if something happened to one of the trailer tires...…. I finally got smart and installed and after market TPMS system on all 6 trailer tires. Not sure of the exact brand, but I am very happy with it after several trips, and it appears very reliable and consistent.
    However..... The main monitor unit that rides in the truck with me, has an "alarm" feature that will sound an alarm if either the pressure or temperature of a tire drops or rises too high/low.
    That got me thinking??? What is 'too high or too low"??
    I see the Westlakes state a Max PSI of roughly somewhere around 80 - I fill them to around 75 before heading out.
    I have the LOW pressure alarm set around 65 - but have no clue what a pressure "too high" would be that I should be concerned about, or what a temp too high would be either.
    I have taken a few trips with the new TPMS on, but all being in outside temps of less than 50 degrees F - and the pressure remained consistent on all tires and the temp raised no more that 10-15 degrees above the outside air temp, which I am sure will change in hot summer conditions.
    When I travel, it is almost always just myself, for work, - no water in tanks, not over or heavily loaded (probably around (16-17k), and have my Harley Streetglide in the garage, and well balanced.

Any advice, and or suggestions would be appreciated..... and again, thanks to all for your past posts, and helping the many of us out here that are just lurking.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I’d have the low pressure alarm set higher than 75lbs and the tires filled to 80. Low pressure increases heat and reduces load capacity. Temp around 150 is a general recommendation. You really are looking for differences there. I set my high pressure 20% over at 96. Mine get into the low 90s during hot weather.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your TPMS system likely has recommendations. My TST manual suggests keeping temp alert at 158*F, low pressure alarm at 10% lower than your inflation pressure (so for me, thats 80-8=72psi alarm), and high pressure alarm at 20-25% above - (80+8+8= 96psi alarm).

YMMV, RTFM.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mylostclub View Post
    Any advice, and or suggestions would be appreciated.....
    Sounds like you are pretty squared away. Over time you will learn your tires parameters simply by watching the TPMS. Checking my TPMS is part of my drivers scan so I see changes well before the alarm goes off. Funny part was when the tire separated and did $3500 worth of damage to my 376, the alarm didn't go off because the tire never deflated. So while TPMS is a good tool it does have some limitations.

I get annoying low pressure alarms when I first start out on really cold mornings. Within about 25-30 miles the tires have warmed up enough the PSI comes back to normal and the alarms quit.

It's interesting to watch the PSI changes in the tires based on wind, road material, ambient heat etc. You really get to learn a lot about tire behavior.

Another tip: if you have a tire losing 1-2 PSI a day over several days there is a good chance it is starting to separate. Hmmm! I think that statement needs more explanation. Your TPMS morning pressures will rarely be the same, off a few pounds depending on temperature and which side is getting the sun. The key is the three on one side should change about the same, and the three on the other side should change about the same. It's when you get one that is now a pound or two below the changed PSI of the three. i.e. On Monday tire 1,2, and 3 read 78, 76, 79. On Tuesday it's a little cooler so 1-2-3 read 74, 72, 75. On Wed the sun is on them, 1-2-3 read, 79, 77, 78. Thur cooler again, 1-2-3 read 75, 73, 73. Fridays conditions pretty much match Mondays so 1-2-3 read 78, 76, 77. The next week follows a similar pattern but the following Friday 1-2-3 read 78, 76, 74.

You will notice that tire 3 is very slowly losing pressure as compared to the other tires. It is still not low enough to sound an alarm. But is down 5 pounds (relative to the others) in about a week. I would be inspecting this tire carefully. I sure hope I didn't make this too complicated.

The important part is you get to watch what your tires are doing.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 12-13-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpyknee View Post
    Your TPMS system likely has recommendations. My TST manual suggests keeping temp alert at 158*F, low pressure alarm at 10% lower than your inflation pressure (so for me, thats 80-8=72psi alarm), and high pressure alarm at 20-25% above - (80+8+8= 96psi alarm).

YMMV, RTFM.

We have been using EZ Tire TPMS for 4+years and they recommend the same parameters. -10%/+20% and 158 degrees for the alarms. You should keep the tires at the pressure as indicated on the yellow/red/white sticker on the driver’s side of your RV - likely recommending 80PSI for E rated tires as indicated in a previous post. TPMS is a must have in my opinion you are wise to have put your system in place. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the pickup purchasing phase. Already have the Solitude 5th wheel. How's that for getting the cart before the horse? Very likely will get a 1 ton GMC Diesel. One of the options is tire sensors for an RV. The screen on the inside of the truck will provide the read out info. They are not expensive, $12.50 each, I need four. But you have to have them installed at a tire shop. I'm not that familiar with TPMS. I assumed there was no installation, you just screw them on your valve stem. I could be wrong on that. If you have to pay to install all sensors, no matter the brand, then the GMC brand is better because they work with the truck, I don't need another little readout screen on my dash. Is there anyone out there who has the GMC TPMS for their RV? What was the total cost, purchase/install and does it work well? Thank you for any input you can provide. Jerry

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mylostclub.....this is you say it's your first post however, it's your 11th post. So you've been closet posting somewhere. Just funnin with you.

So you have a 2017 Momentum 376TH. You don't mention your build date (that is critical for the 2017 model year of the 376TH because they changed a lot throughout out the model year, that year) but I'm assuming, based on the tire pressure that you mention, that you have E load rated tires. Those tires had a big history of blowing out unexpectedly and for no apparent reason doing a lot of damage to the RV. That is why Grand Design switched to the G load rated tire (110 psi) during that model year.

Most 2017 models were built in 2016 (April 1, 2017 they started building the 2018 models) and so those tires are at least three years old and possibly closer to four years depending on the month of your build. Based on the history of the E load rated tires, I would say that you've been very lucky. I would strongly suggest that you consider changing those tires now to G load rated tires (110 psi). You have a couple of options....the Goodyear G614 tires or the Sailun tires. The Sailun G load rated tires are much cheaper and seem to have held up as well as the Goodyear G614 tires.

In regards to your TPMS system.....when you programmed each sensor, it tells you in the instructions what percentage of tempreture overage to set them at. Tire pressure increases more than most people realize, after just a few miles of travel. It also suggest that if you're in a hot area (the southwest) to set your max psi at an even higher rating. On my Momentum 376TH with the Goodyear G614 tires I've seen the tire pressure increase by 12 degrees and the tempreture raise even more when traveling here in the southwest in the summer months. Altitude will also effect tire pressure just like it does with your sodas or beer when you get in the Colorado Rockies.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg