User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a persistent gasoline fumes smell in the toy pump area?

Both of my tanks are full, caps on. I have used the fill hose back there and it leaves a bit of gasoline in there and it can slowly drip out over time, likely due to expansion. Not a ton, just a bit.

Anyway, I've noticed that the compartment has a fairly strong odor of gasoline (enough to notice when you open it) if the door stays closed for any length of time. I leave it open now to vent it, but has anyone else noticed this?

I've tried to clean everything, I put a plastic bag over the fill hose nozzle and zipped tied it in an attempt to limit fumes and made sure the caps are on tight. Still have that odor if I keep the door closed. Not super happy about it given the nature of gasoline fumes although I feel safe with the compartment door open (no odor what so ever).

Any suggestions or anyone else notice the same thing?
    Last edited by Aridon; 12-12-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get gasoline smell all around when Sun shines on the pump side of the trailer. Worse when tanks are low. I think just from the vents.

Do the tank vents come into the hose storage compartment?
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One trick that can help is when you are re-fueling something, turn the pump off when full then open the nozzle again. That will help drain fuel from the hose. I've done this and the only time we get any odor outside now is if I refuel the generator tank and get any overflow. We never get any inside.

TransferFlow uses GPI pumps on their transfer tanks. They have a feature on them where the activation switch has three settings. Up is on, center is off, and down is a momentary switch that reverses the pump. Hit that and open the nozzle and it pumps the fuel from the hose back into the tank. I don't know of any Toy Hauler manufacturers using that on trailer pump tanks, but it might also help.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're venting gas caps, I'd imagine the smell could build up in the little compartment area.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 351m and we get the fuel smell after traveling but it comes from underneath. There are stains on the rear tank which indicate fuel is leaking from an attachment on top. I researched the setup and it appears the front generator tank is setup to recover fumes like a car for emissions qualification but the rear appears to vent to atmosphere. I found the charcoal canister connected to the rear tank but not verified if it is also connected to front tank. The canister has an open rubber line connected to it that is about 1-2 feet long. Not sure if this is intake or vent for the canister? After our Christmas trip, I will use my camera to see what is leaking. Ive never seen mine dripping or wet, just the stain. So you might check your tank to see if there is evidence of a leak.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    If they're venting gas caps, I'd imagine the smell could build up in the little compartment area.
    That is exactly it. Thanks for suggesting that. I'm still not completely comfortable with the smell build up and will keep the compartment open. Switch with electric inside a sealed compartment with fumes isn't exactly high on my list. Keeping the door open alleviates the odor fortunately. I'm scared to keep the door closed and let the fumes build up. Haven't heard of a toy hauler going up in flames all that often so statistically its probably safe but I'm not taking any chances.
    2019 Momentum 395

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    That is exactly it. Thanks for suggesting that. I'm still not completely comfortable with the smell build up and will keep the compartment open. Switch with electric inside a sealed compartment with fumes isn't exactly high on my list. Keeping the door open alleviates the odor fortunately. I'm scared to keep the door closed and let the fumes build up. Haven't heard of a toy hauler going up in flames all that often so statistically its probably safe but I'm not taking any chances.
    Is your fuel station compartment actually sealed? Mine has a few drain holes which allow for some natural air flow and I've never noticed a gasoline smell in the garage, even when I've accidentally spilled some gas filling the tanks. Maybe you should look into making some drain holes if you dont already have some.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Is your fuel station compartment actually sealed? Mine has a few drain holes which allow for some natural air flow and I've never noticed a gasoline smell in the garage, even when I've accidentally spilled some gas filling the tanks. Maybe you should look into making some drain holes if you dont already have some.

There are some holes. I notice it more with both tanks full,I didn't notice it as much before when it was just the generator tank. I wasn't really paying much attention to it but now with both fuel tanks full it's more noticable.

I've cleaned and washed that area out thoroughly. I don't believe it's any residual. I'm also in warm weather, which would cause expansion more so than in other climates.
    2019 Momentum 395

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it could have something to do with the tank vent itself, not just the cap. I'm pretty sure there are some types of vents on top of the tanks, I never really explored too much. Maybe some of the fumes are actually coming up through the garage floor due to an issue with the tank vent.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I wonder if it could have something to do with the tank vent itself, not just the cap. I'm pretty sure there are some types of vents on top of the tanks, I never really explored too much. Maybe some of the fumes are actually coming up through the garage floor due to an issue with the tank vent.

No fumes inside, just at the outdoor station. If I smelled gas inside I'd have brought it back to the factory long ago.

I'm going to take a close look at everything tomorrow and play around and see if I can narrow it down.
    2019 Momentum 395

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast