User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Setting for Solitude 344 GK-R

Is there an initial setting or starting point for the electric brakes on a Solitude 344 GK-R? Picking up today and wondering where I should start/how much brake I should start with. I'm in SE LA so it's pretty flat tow back home just a couple overpasses on the Interstate.
    Thanks
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many will have a different control unit, any specific input would be only a WAG. If the same controller, it would be closer to a SWAG. Find an open parking lot and start with a just below mid level setting and go from there. We picked ours up and I started with a mid level setting and I was amazed at the grab ability of our trailer brakes. Running thru several small towns I played with mine and ended up just below 50% on the first day, then went back up to about 50% after another day of small towns. Now, here comes the variables... Brake condition on your TV, how much you gave loaded the unit, the brake adjustment of the unit, and again the controller. My brakes on TV are 100%+ OEM as the entire system is less than 3 months old and better product than OEM. We moved from the class C to the trailer and we had no idea that we had so much sh... er stuff. The other two are big variable. Next trip one of my goals will be to do a single application stop from about 70 and then jump out and IR temp the drums to see how balanced the brake application is. Pulling an empty home shouldn't take but about 35-40% if that much.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta2.0 View Post
    Is there an initial setting or starting point for the electric brakes on a Solitude 344 GK-R? Picking up today and wondering where I should start/how much brake I should start with. I'm in SE LA so it's pretty flat tow back home just a couple overpasses on the Interstate.
    Thanks
    It all depends on the brake controller you have in your truck, weight of the trailer, wt of the tow vehicle etc. The recommended procedure is to drive at 20-30 mph and activate the controller manually (ie with the hand control not the brake pedal) several times increasing or decreasing the controller setting each time until you have it where it stops the unit and the trailer wheels almost lockup and skid.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said and I agree, it depends on your brake controller so you will have to determine it yourself by trial and error. What I would do is get to a stretch of road with no traffic, set the brake controller for the lowest, get up to about 15-20 mph and brake hard listening and/or feeling for the trailer brakes to lock up (not likely at the lowest setting). Then keep repeating, each time increasing the brake control setting looking for the point at which the trailer brakes lock up, then at that point drop the brake control setting to the next lowest setting, this will set your brake control for maximum braking without locking up the brakes. As a suggestion, since it is sometimes hard to hear or feel when trailer brakes lock up while driving, do the above series of steps on a dirt road where there will be no question.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, different brake controllers and different tow vehicles will act different.
    Remember tho- brake controllers come in two basic types - proportional and delayed braking.

"Proportional brake controllers use a motion-sensing device to detect how fast the tow vehicle is stopping. The moment the driver applies the brakes, the brake controller applies the same amount of braking power to the trailer's brakes -- if the truck is stopping quickly, the trailer will stop quickly; if the truck stops slowly, the trailer will stop slowly. In a situation that requires heavy braking, for instance, a proportional brake controller will cause the trailer to stop at exactly the same time as the truck does. This type of brake controller provides the smoothest braking, and because both systems are doing the same amount of work, it reduces the amount of wear on each vehicle's braking system."
    Delayed, is exactly what it means, the trailer brakes are time delayed coming on after the tow vehicle brakes are applied.

Look in your brake controller manual or truck mfg owners manual for the specific type you have. Some brake controllers have the option to set which it uses. This is personal preference.

I prefer my trailer brakes to come on before or proportional to my tow vehicles brakes. I want my trailer brakes pulling back on my tow vehicle initially, then with firmer brake pedal pressure, my truck brakes supplement the trailer brakes. This will keep my rig in line if I have to brake heavily. I initially set my controller to 5 (0-10). I always do a roll out brake check. Put the truck in gear, let the rig start to move forward, then manually activate the brake controller using the squeeze button. I adjust the setting to the point where the trailer stops the truck immediately and harshly. On my Ram truck integrated controller "for my specific rig" this is a setting of 7. Then I back off to a setting of 6. This makes for a smooth stop at faster speeds.

Each rig and tow vehicle and the condition of the brake system on each, and the type of brakes used(disc or drum) will make a difference, each rig will react different so adjust your settings according to how you like it.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made it home, to the RV Park, with no issues. Trailer seemed to stop just fine. As we are fulltime and living here for a little bit it will be a little while before I tow again. Thanks for all of the great information!!
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW