User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaboni Solar Port

OK, some people may think I'm crazy, but I just traded my 2016 Solitude 369RL for a 2020 Reflection 303RLS. The Reflection came with a Jaboni Solar Port on the roof. I contacted Jaboni for some info on the port as there wasn't info provided from GD. The Jaboni Rep. says it has 10ga wire good for about 500 watts of solar or about 30 amps. My question, has anyone used this port to route their solar power from the roof? There is a 10 ga wire running to the front compartment and then terminates in a coil.
    Wayen & Marge Kroeger
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    2012 F350 CC PSD w/ 50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
    Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmhawk View Post
    OK, some people may think I'm crazy, but I just traded my 2016 Solitude 369RL for a 2020 Reflection 303RLS. The Reflection came with a Jaboni Solar Port on the roof. I contacted Jaboni for some info on the port as there wasn't info provided from GD. The Jaboni Rep. says it has 10ga wire good for about 500 watts of solar or about 30 amps. My question, has anyone used this port to route their solar power from the roof? There is a 10 ga wire running to the front compartment and then terminates in a coil.
    I've been using it for 200 watts and it's been fine. I may add a third panel but I think I would upgrade the wire if I ever added more.
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as your panels are in series then the amperage on the wire should be low enough that the existing wire is sufficient. Then the voltage just needs to be within the spec of your MPPT charge controller.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By code 10 AWG or 10ga, as you put it, is sized for 30 amps @ 140 deg F. Ohm's law tells us power is Volts(V) x Amps(I). So depending on the output voltage of you solar panels you could calculate the wattage. At typical (from what I have found) 20 volt output. 20 (V) x 30(I) = 600 watts. I think that's enough to do three batteries? I'd say you were pretty well set up.
    BTW, when I first read this I thought you meant to refer to the solar ready hook up by the Italian slur "jabroni". I didn't realize it was a manufacturer until I read through.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-25-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dleted by Author.
    Last edited by J&J___; 12-26-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guessing my wire run on the 303 RLS is about 20'+ I plan on shorting it by about 6' in the final installation.
    Wayen & Marge Kroeger
    2020 Reflection 303RLS
    2012 F350 CC PSD w/ 50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
    Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    By code 10 AWG or 10ga, as you put it, is sized for 30 amps @ 140 deg F. Ohm's law tells us power is Volts(V) x Amps(I). So depending on the output voltage of you solar panels you could calculate the wattage. At typical (from what I have found) 20 volt output. 20 (V) x 30(I) = 600 watts. I think that's enough to do three batteries? I'd say you were pretty well set up.
    BTW, when I first read this I thought you meant to refer to the solar ready hook up by the Italian slur "jabroni". I didn't realize it was a manufacturer until I read through.
    I am new to this so please correct me if I am wrong. Don’t you need to figure length of the 10AWG wire into your calculation? When I look up 10 AWG at 30 amps I get a total wire length of 10 feet for a 3% voltage drop and 30 feet for a 10% voltage drop. Since this is total wire length the lengths for a circuit would be half the above values. I got these numbers from this site, https://www.bluesea.com/support/arti...r_a_DC_Circuit.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guessing my wire run on the 303 RLS is about 20'+ I plan on shorting it by about 6' in the final installation.
    I did some rough measuring and on my 2020 Reflection 337 the 10 awg wire for the solar prep is about 31’ plus the 4’ of wire coiled in the front compartment.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    I am new to this so please correct me if I am wrong. Don’t you need to figure length of the 10AWG wire into your calculation? When I look up 10 AWG at 30 amps I get a total wire length of 10 feet for a 3% voltage drop and 30 feet for a 10% voltage drop. Since this is total wire length the lengths for a circuit would be half the above values. I got these numbers from this site, https://www.bluesea.com/support/arti...r_a_DC_Circuit.
    I looked at that chart and I really don't know how they get those percentages. Wire resistance of 10 awg solid wire is about 1 ohm/1000'. So I would say the short runs in a trailer, yes 20' is short, are inconsequential. I have seen 24vdc runs hundreds of feet long with minimal voltage drop on 16awg Belden signal wire. These were critical control circuits so wire resistance would be an engineering concern. A power feed to a charger is not nearly as critical.
    https://www.cirris.com/learning-cent...lculator-table
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I looked at that chart and I really don't know how they get those percentages. Wire resistance of 10 awg solid wire is about 1 ohm/1000'. So I would say the short runs in a trailer, yes 20' is short, are inconsequential. I have seen 24vdc runs hundreds of feet long with minimal voltage drop on 16awg Belden signal wire. These were critical control circuits so wire resistance would be an engineering concern. A power feed to a charger is not nearly as critical.
    https://www.cirris.com/learning-cent...lculator-table
    I have looked at several wire size calculators and charts for DC and they are similar. Here is one from Renology to look at. https://www.renogy.com/calculators#tab_solar-cable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast