Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leveling fifth wheel.

We are new to fifth wheel rv. We have a 2019 Momentum 395M. For a quick overnight stay can I use auto level while still hitched to the truck. Can you use the slides without jacks down.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to use the autolevel while hooked up would seem like a really bad idea. The front jacks, at least on my 337RLS, are general the first to touch down and they try to raise or lower the nose so that the trailer is level front to back. Should your trailer need to be raised those jacks are going to try and lift your truck. I'm sure they have overload sensors which would throw a fault, but why risk damaging the jacks.

I certain hope it's okay to extend the slides without the jacks being down. I've done that fairly often without any apparent problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Solitude, the front legs lower the coach as a first step in the auto level. I have put slides out while hooked to the truck, but put the middle & rear jacks down. Have done this on a fairly level sight. I wouldn't use auto level while still attached to the truck.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the GD Solitude manual (same leveling system as your Momentum):

BEFORE you operate the hydraulic leveling system
    ALWAYS make sure that:
    1. The RV is parked on a reasonably level surface.
    2. The tow vehicle is disengaged from the RV.
    3. All persons, pets and property are clear of the RV
    while the leveling system is in operation.

As mentioned above, the auto-level process should begin with the trailer nose-high and the system starts by dipping the nose below level. You risk damage to the system if you try this with the trailer still on the truck.

As for slides, the trailer needs to be fairly level in order to extend slides to avoid binding or damage to the slide(s) and mechanism(s). If you are within an inch or so both ways, you're probably OK for an overnight.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
    ...For a quick overnight stay can I use auto level while still hitched to the truck...
    There is no way I would use auto-level while attached to the truck. But, you could manually lower the front legs to stabilize the RV while attached to the truck.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we do quick overnight stays without disconnecting, I use the One Control app on my phone for leveling. I will use manual operation and get as close to level as possible but watching the hitch on my truck to make sure I'm not "lifting" the hitch off the truck. If it is too far out of level, I will either move or just disconnect the truck. I aim for 1° off level at most for extending slides, obviously closer to 0° is more ideal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    There is no way I would use auto-level while attached to the truck. But, you could manually lower the front legs to stabilize the RV while attached to the truck.
    Thanks for your reply.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcneal View Post
    Trying to use the autolevel while hooked up would seem like a really bad idea. The front jacks, at least on my 337RLS, are general the first to touch down and they try to raise or lower the nose so that the trailer is level front to back. Should your trailer need to be raised those jacks are going to try and lift your truck. I'm sure they have overload sensors which would throw a fault, but why risk damaging the jacks.

I certain hope it's okay to extend the slides without the jacks being down. I've done that fairly often without any apparent problems.
    Thanks for your input. If I can extend the slides without the jacks that should be ok for one night on the road.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used ours multiple times, all of our travel trailers and all three of the fifth wheels we have had. I try to find a spot in the parking area we are staying at that is fairly level, then if i don't need to disconnect, i manually operate the leveling system to get it pretty close to level. We have been out of level plenty of times and extended slides for meals, etc.Just be cautious of how "Off Level" yo are and disconnect truck as needed. I have a level bubble on the trailer i can see when driving so i can find a fairly level spot. good luck
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast