Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding slide canopies

On our last trip (last week) we got a decent amount of heavy/wet snow and then some freezing temps that caused a snow dam to build up on top of a couple of our slides. When we went to pack up, we had to wind up pouring some hot water on top of the slide to break the ice loose. This made me wonder if it is possible to add the retractable awning covers that I see on some campers that cover the slide when it is extended. It looks like the channel to connect them to the side of the camper is already there (part of the gutter)...just not sure if this is doable or not.
    2015 Reflection 323BHS
    2014 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is possible to add them now. Your dealer should be able to order and install them for you.

Someone else will have to let you know if they would have prevented the problem with the ice buildup though.
    I don't have slide toppers on mine.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slide toppers will keep most ice and snow off the slide roof. You still have to clear ice before you retractor they will tear. The ones I had were pretty noisy.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    Slide toppers will keep most ice and snow off the slide roof. You still have to clear ice before you retractor they will tear. The ones I had were pretty noisy.
    What was noisy about them? Did you install them yourself? I know I would still need to get the snow/ice off of the toppers but that would be easier than getting it off of the slide itself.
    2015 Reflection 323BHS
    2014 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I inquired about toppers on my 4 slides, my dealer quoted $500 each with installation. (His general labor rate is $125 per hour.) I'll add them myself at a later date.

On my 323BHS, there is relatively little space between the slider and the front door. That means a shorter topper (than normal) is required on my unit.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have slide toppers on our Reflection 303RLS, installed by our dealer at time of purchase. They are perhaps more horizontal than optimum because the rain gutters where they attach are not much higher than the tops of the slides.
    They seem to be doing their job at shedding leaves, twigs and water when the slides are retracted.

We were told that they might be noisy (flapping) but,so far, there always seems to be a slight puddle in the center that dampens any flapping. We have not noticed any noise.

We have yet to encounter snow or ice, so can't comment on that.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine were on another RV, they were factory installed. The wind in S. Texas caused them to flutter and make a racket. Only had to deal with ice and snow once. I thought I knocked it all loose, but the ice under the roller caused the fabrics to rip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we had our 355TH slide outs with the retractable awning installed by the dealership with the gutters. Camped out the past 4 days and 3 nights at the Delaware Seashore State park. Winds were around 15 to 17 MPH, the awnings on the slide outs did make some noise but not enough to disturb our sleep inside. I did not pull out the awnings at all, on the slide outs, I have no choice but they held up very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had slide toppers on our Spree dealer installed. Snow and ice slide off without a problem when we retracted, never thought to climb up and deal with it, I just pushed the button. Made hubby stand outside to watch and yell stop if need be, he never did. We used the rig almost every weekend past 4 winters in Ontario Canada.

With the 337 this year I do note a bit more water collects in the toppers (hubby says it is not much more then the past Spree, we differ in opinion). We have not had a chance to test snow yet (darn) but hope to over New Years.
    Lostincanada and Jahna
    AKA Derek and Tatjana plus our pups Shadow and Nani
    2012 Ram 2500
    2015 Reflection 337
    Hailing from Southern Ontario Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question adding slide toppers

We are considering adding slide toppers to our 3 slides. We have a 2018 Reflection 327 RST that did not come with the toppers. We have packed up in the rain a couple of times and when we bring the slides in we have huge amounts of rain that pour on the floor. The dealer gave us a quote of about @ $2100.00. The 3 awnings were a little less than $1000 and the rest was labor. We are thinking of having them installed by a third party closer to home but are worried about craftsmanship. How difficult is the job and do you have any advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast