User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the Westlake G-Rated tires so far have good reliability reviews.

I think upgrading from E-rated to most any G-rated tire brand is a good move. The 2 brands that seem to have the best result may be Goodyear g614s and Sailun G rated tires. I went with Goodyear’s before my first long trip. I was looking for Sailuns but they weren’t available locally.

My friend had an E-rated Goodyear Marathon tire destroy itself on his loaded horse trailer. He put G-Rated Carlyle's on it.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodyear Marathons are one of the tires with huge numbers of failures. Of course, they're big selling Chinese tires. If I was going with Goodyears, it'd be with the G614's--G rated tires. They're expensive but really good quality ST tires.

Even if Sailuns are unavailable locally, it and every other tire you want can be purchased online and received in one or two days. I've yet to hear a bad word about the Sailun G rated tire on RV's.

We remain very satisfied with our E rated Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed tires. (Michelin has a tire that's very comparable for slightly more money.) You just wouldn't believe the difference between our Duravis' and the OEM Westlakes. The Bridgestones are so much heavier and thicker in sidewalls and just so beefy. Costco's tire manager said he has never had a come back with the tire--usually mounted on utility company and commercial trucks with utility beds, cranes and small cranes.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    They are all correct and they are all wrong. But none of them are experts.
    I like that. Pretty much anything I read on the internet or is said on the news I take with a grain of salt. I make my own decisions and I live with the consequences. I procrastinated on changing out my E rated tires. And I have paid the price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TireBlowsml1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	23883
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I like that. Pretty much anything I read on the internet or is said on the news I take with a grain of salt. I make my own decisions and I live with the consequences. I procrastinated on changing out my E rated tires. And I have paid the price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TireBlowsml1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	23883
    Recently my wife and I just got a Reflection 260RD and settled on it the last day of October. I had never heard of Westlake..read a number of different views, but had the dealership change out the Westlake for Endurance tires as part of the deal. Goodyear has not made Marathon for a few years and brought their manufacturing back into the US. They dropped the Marathon because most customers failed to read the bold print on the tires..max speed 65 mph.. The Endurance is rated at 81 mph..but I have no idea why someone would pull ten thousand pounds at a speed of 81 mph. I still do between 65-70 max and run on Endurance. I ran on them with my travel trailer and will see how well they hold up on the new fifth wheel. My view is that if a tire is rated at 81 mph..that is a great deal of heat, it should do well at 65-70. I run with a tire minder and run a lazier heat gun on the hubs at every stop, checking for a large variance possible on one wheel. A tire minder will tell you pressure and heat of the air in the tire..but not the heat that a bad bearing might be providing on the hub. I also run with a extra set of races and bearings, along with two spare tires.

Once you lose an axle or have a tire rip off the side of your camper, see flames coming off the hub..one goes a little over board. On that trip eight years ago, we left NC with a fifth wheel and come home with a travel trailer. It was going to take several weeks to build axle's and ship them to us in Nevada. The exchange was not cheap!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two times you should never use cruise control. When it is wet, I.e., rain or snow and when you are hauling a trailer or fifth wheel. Just sayin!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who was talking about using cruise control.. Sorry, I missed something... but it may be in an earlier post. I never use cruise control when towing..

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgjog182 View Post
    Two times you should never use cruise control. When it is wet, I.e., rain or snow and when you are hauling a trailer or fifth wheel. Just sayin!
    Hum??? I always use cruise control when hauling my 5th wheel. My normal max towing speed is 60-65 mph.

In rain I almost never use cruise. I haven't riven in snow in probably 40 years.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If cruise control is contra-indicated for pulling a trailer or fifth wheel, why does every class 8 and below truck come with them as standard equipment?

Plus, "just saying" is the polite way for calling somebody stupid.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope not the same

Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I think the confusion comes from conflating China bombs with Westlakes. The term China bomb is used to refer to all trailer tires made in China. Westlakes are actually among the better ones compared to some others. I believe the term actually originated when Goodyear moved their Marathon production to China 12 or 15 years ago.
    Nope not Sailuns ST. Sailuns are made in China but to standards that are set forth by the some tire institute that insures no funny business or faulty manufacturing practices with testing to prove reliability. Not so with the crap the trailer manufactures put on the units that are based on price only.
    Look at the failure rate of each brand (Westlakes are no better) Look at the Sailuns, no failures from manufacturing like all the rest. These tires are sold to trucking companies and sold for pickup use under the truck tire and the steer tire line. The tires that come on your unit are delivery tires and should be changed out the day you pick it up. Yeh I know, I`ve got X brand and no problems......Yet. Not sure warranty or not would want my unit stalled at the dealer for months being repaired form a stupid and avoidable tire blow out. There are hundreds of posts on this forum and others that I belong to with the same issue none are from the Saliuns baring road debris. Go on Google and type in "Saliun tire failure" and see what you can`t find. Then type in your brand including Goodyear 614 and see what you do find.
    Last edited by bshgto; 12-21-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
    If cruise control is contra-indicated for pulling a trailer or fifth wheel, why does every class 8 and below truck come with them as standard equipment?

Plus, "just saying" is the polite way for calling somebody stupid.
    OMG!! The crusie control on my 2017 F350 with auto distance control, is the greatest!!! So easy to pull using it. Just set it 5MPH over the speed everyone is driving, and you will always keep the perfect distance in front of you, no matter how much they slow down or speed up!!!
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast