User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had several blowouts on two different fifth wheels (and subsequent insurance claims) I posted the following in February 2019 based on what I found out about tire pressures. This is after I bought 16 inch Carlisle 16-Ply tires rated load rage "G", Max 110 Lbs..

"I had tried leaving the tires slightly below maximum pressure but blew two tires on the previous Fifth Wheel. When by Solitude blew I had set the pressures exactly to the max cold (80 Psi.) before we started driving.

With the new EZ-Tire TPMS unit I discovered that my Solitude tires [GAINED 25-30 LBS.] PRESSURE in about an hour of driving!!!!! I had no idea that my tire pressures gained that much!!!"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgjog182 View Post
    Two times you should never use cruise control. When it is wet, I.e., rain or snow and when you are hauling a trailer or fifth wheel. Just sayin!
    We use our cruise control when towing our fifth wheel. Why not?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story well told

Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    So there we were, on I95 in SC headed south for the holidays. The rain had finally stopped and we were just chugging along with the cruise set at 61 when... Bang!!!

It took a microsecond for me to recognize the sound. In that brief moment, I actually felt bad for whoever just blew a tire. As I was looking around to see who it was, I saw the carnage in the mirror. I looked just in time to see the trim exploding off the side of our new home.

Now the back story... That morning, when I checked all my tire pressures I noticed that one had lost about ten pounds since I checked it the day before. I figured, air it up and it will be ok until I check in again in a couple hours. Guess which one blew?

Even before all of that, one of the things I do soon after I get a new trailer (RV or otherwise) is put new tires on it. Well, life happened and I never got to it. They'll make this one more trip, right?

Oh yeah! I was planning on getting a TPMS too. Well, I was gonna!

The moral of the story... I'll leave that up to you.

There is a happy ending though. I went from E rated Westlakes (that's code for China Bomb) to G rated Heartlands. They are smoother, more stable and increased mileage by ten percent. I could tell that because from southern SC to South Fl the biggest Hill is 50 feet and that's the overpass at the exit ramp. It's easy to get a good apples to apples comparison.

With a ten percent increase in mileage, the new tires will pay for themselves in 40k miles. Sometimes I need that kind of thing to make me feel better when I do dumb things.
    TX for sharing. Several lessons. Impressed with your tire maintenance routine.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the levity of the story you told and the message you were trying to convey. Moral of the story was you should have listened to your intuition and you didn't; and it probably put a little bit of a scare into you when it blew out. I hope it doesn't take to long to fix your unit and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Next time you'll listen to your gut.
    Your accident and story will give someone like me more info to make a more informed decision on products and how we might handle a situation.
    Thank you.
    Case24

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much to say now...

Case24, thank you for the kind words. Expense probably won't be a huge issue because I'll do the repairs myself, but time might be. On the day of the calamity, I called around and it looks like about a month to get the parts. (Insert sad face here)

Fez111, I think there is more to the pressure story here. When I got my truck and I was able to monitor pressure in real time, I was also surprised how much the pressure changed while driving. I never saw an increase like you did, but it makes me think about what is happening in a tire... More tire flex equals more heat. More heat equals more pressure increase. Lots of things to consider with tire flex, but it's something to think about. Also, I would never trust a TPMS that reports temperature. There is no way that an externally mounted device can "see" the air temperature inside the tire.

And to those that are bashing cruise control... "Sigh...." I know for a fact that I get better mileage on cruise control which means it controls the throttle better than I do. When to use it or not is about common sense.

And to all, thank you for your replies. A good conversation (even if we disagree) is about learning from each other.

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B20763D1-10EF-4348-BFA1-A003D48F4814.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	23977

We were turning onto the Ca 95 coming outta Laughlin Dec 15 when we heard a bomb go off under the hood.

Turbo charger plenum to the inter cooler Grenaded.
    AAA Premier service sent a flat bed to tow the truck to the GM dealer in Bullhead Az.
    Then AAA sent a bigger tow truck for our 398m.

Our leveling out riggers don’t retract 100%, still look like they have an inch to go so in that case the tow trucks won’t tow you.
    Stuck in the desert bad feeling.
    So I convinced the driver it was OK and finally he towed our 398m to the Avi RV park.

Our trucks warranty ran out in April so the repair was $250.
    Took a few days for the fix so we used the Can Am for transportation.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1ED4DB6-22CD-4632-814C-40493B0392AB.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	23976
    Last edited by Dive Bar Casanova; 12-26-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    We use our cruise control when towing our fifth wheel. Why not?
    Agreed. I use my cruise control all of the time when on the interstate whether towing or not. The only time I don’t use it is when the roads are congested. I will use it in inclement weather, however, inclement weather often causes congestion due to slower speeds so again the previous sentence applies.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya want 14 ply steel tires preferably American made GoodYear GY14’s. GYs are about $50 more per tire so if you can fit that into the budget treat yourself.
    You usually have to go to a truck tire shop to get them.

Any argument is just hot air by someone who hasn’t yet had the side of their trailer blown off.

I always use the cruise control towing or not except in heavy traffic.
    Last edited by Dive Bar Casanova; 12-26-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123