Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 2930RL Update

We took our 2930 back to the dealer for some warranty issues. Purchased in July we've owned it 6months. After our first trip it developed an annoying squeak in the floor in front of the residential refrigerator and area between slide and island. Also on our last trip water was dripping while dumping the grey tanks I noticed water dripping thru the Coroplast and foam around the dump pipe. Concerned we took it to the dealer to be checked. I called Grand Design about the squeaky floor and they would not commit to fix it. Dealer called to tell us to come pick it up. Its 174 miles each way. They stated that the floor squeak cant be fixed because it would involve a major tear out and Grand Design is not going to pay for it. Perhaps in time it will stop. Could just be the painted frame rubbing the floor. They filled the tanks and pressurized the water system. No tank or plumbing leaks were found. They found water laying on top of the Coroplast but no water or moisture up in the insulation. They tell me that its from rainwater getting up into it from road spray. They shot foam around all the open crevices of Coroplast. We were camping in the high twenties our last trip. Is it possible that condensation in the underbelly froze and when I dumped the tanks it had melted causing the water drips? I am not at all happy about the squeaky floor. We traded in our Reflection 337 because of floor and slide problems and looks like we are going to have issues with this Solitude. The dealer was covered up with Reflection 303 and 337s with slide and floor problems. Adding rollers and replacing the slide floors from 3/4" to 1" plywood. Told us ours is the first Solitude they have encountered with the squeaky floor. Anyone else having these issues. I've always been pleased with our dealer. This is our third purchase but I get the impression they are overwhelmed with repairs and frustrated to. This last trip I witnessed customers literally screaming at them in frustration. Been dealing with them 6 years and never seen this. One fellow went so far as to say they were tired of dealing with the problems and getting rid of it and giving it up. Rather extreme but frustration can do that.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    We took our 2930 back to the dealer for some warranty issues. Purchased in July we've owned it 6months. After our first trip it developed an annoying squeak in the floor in front of the residential refrigerator and area between slide and island. Also on our last trip water was dripping while dumping the grey tanks I noticed water dripping thru the Coroplast and foam around the dump pipe. Concerned we took it to the dealer to be checked. I called Grand Design about the squeaky floor and they would not commit to fix it. Dealer called to tell us to come pick it up. Its 174 miles each way. They stated that the floor squeak cant be fixed because it would involve a major tear out and Grand Design is not going to pay for it. Perhaps in time it will stop. Could just be the painted frame rubbing the floor. They filled the tanks and pressurized the water system. No tank or plumbing leaks were found. They found water laying on top of the Coroplast but no water or moisture up in the insulation. They tell me that its from rainwater getting up into it from road spray. They shot foam around all the open crevices of Coroplast. We were camping in the high twenties our last trip. Is it possible that condensation in the underbelly froze and when I dumped the tanks it had melted causing the water drips? I am not at all happy about the squeaky floor. We traded in our Reflection 337 because of floor and slide problems and looks like we are going to have issues with this Solitude. The dealer was covered up with Reflection 303 and 337s with slide and floor problems. Adding rollers and replacing the slide floors from 3/4" to 1" plywood. Told us ours is the first Solitude they have encountered with the squeaky floor. Anyone else having these issues. I've always been pleased with our dealer. This is our third purchase but I get the impression they are overwhelmed with repairs and frustrated to. This last trip I witnessed customers literally screaming at them in frustration. Been dealing with them 6 years and never seen this. One fellow went so far as to say they were tired of dealing with the problems and getting rid of it and giving it up. Rather extreme but frustration can do that.
    The main deck is composite construction and unlikely that the squeak is a rubbing to frame. More than likely there is a joint of one of the layers in that spot, or a void for a chaseway letting the top layer deflect. Dealers aren't very creative and definitely not going to experiment where they are not going to get paid... If it were mine, i would work to identify what triggers the squeak. I'd take a piece of heavy gauge sheet just slightly larger than the area where I can step to cause the squeak and put it over that spot. If the squeak stops, I know the upper layer is the issue. Not easy to fix without some cosmetic imperfections. I fixed a friend's floor - soft spot - by taking out the slide room and sliding 20 ga. steel sheet between the deck and the laminate because that manufacturer edge glued only. If you were looking for it, you could see the edges of the plate, but they camper 5 more years with it. I fixed our hybrid's floor when it delaminated near the bunk with resin injection that I did a good job hiding in the fully glued laminate flooring but the spots could be seen where I had the 5/32" holes for the injector needle if you were looking close.

If the squeak doesn't stop with the test plate, I'd drop the belly liner and span the frame rails with a steel channel or a couple 2xs spiked together. Then use a small screw jack (leveling jack) or a stack of blocking and shims to reinforce the spot. If the squeak stops, I'd install permanent bracing.

So, there are ways to fix it, but unfortunately out of pocket expense likely.

As for your possible leak, I personally would not have wanted the underbelly sealed more tightly. Too much potential to mask a real issue. Keep an eye out for coroplast that bows more pronounced while you are camping! Lots of folks have found leaking drain pipes, something you're not going to see filling tanks with water to look for leaks. Too bad RV manufacturers and service centers don't follow basic plumbing test methods because some test caps, packers, pressure or vacuum gauge, and then pressurizing or vacuuming down will quickly identify leaks.

Just some suggestions to get to solutions if you're so inclined, but YMMV.