User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 Hitch question

Situation: traded 2018 f150 2wd 5.0L tow pkg for 2019 f150 FX4 off road 5.0L tow pkg (not max tow as that requires 3.5TT engine).
    Both have same size bed, wheels, etc, etc. No other differences.

Tow gear: Curt model 17500 WDH with integrated sway bars, exact same gear as used with the 2018 2wd, no changes made to settings. (yet)

Whats up: I'm trying to avoid doing a full hook up and taking the Imagine 2250RK out in the street to see if the hitch is still level and
    everything looks good before starting our next trip on 1/31/20. The hook-up on the previous TV was fine / no troubles.

Concern: My assumption (assumption only) because I neglected to measure before making the trade, is that the 4WD suspension may
    take the 2x2 receiver up a few (not sure) inches higher than that of the 2wd receiver and the result may required me to make an adjustment to
    the hitch head which I'm not confident about doing.

My Son says I'm over thinking the whole thing (imagine that) and the difference is probably not sufficient to need any hitch head adjustments.
    I'm not sure if there is any reference material available to show the distance in inches from the ground to the top of the empty receiver on both
    vehicles, which may tell me if I may have to make a full hook up or not.

Any and all comments and experiences with this type of scenario would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    Situation: traded 2018 f150 2wd 5.0L tow pkg for 2019 f150 FX4 off road 5.0L tow pkg (not max tow as that requires 3.5TT engine).
    Both have same size bed, wheels, etc, etc. No other differences.

Tow gear: Curt model 17500 WDH with integrated sway bars, exact same gear as used with the 2018 2wd, no changes made to settings. (yet)

Whats up: I'm trying to avoid doing a full hook up and taking the Imagine 2250RK out in the street to see if the hitch is still level and
    everything looks good before starting our next trip on 1/31/20. The hook-up on the previous TV was fine / no troubles.

Concern: My assumption (assumption only) because I neglected to measure before making the trade, is that the 4WD suspension may
    take the 2x2 receiver up a few (not sure) inches higher than that of the 2wd receiver and the result may required me to make an adjustment to
    the hitch head which I'm not confident about doing.

My Son says I'm over thinking the whole thing (imagine that) and the difference is probably not sufficient to need any hitch head adjustments.
    I'm not sure if there is any reference material available to show the distance in inches from the ground to the top of the empty receiver on both
    vehicles, which may tell me if I may have to make a full hook up or not.

Any and all comments and experiences with this type of scenario would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
    I would do the full hookup and verify before towing too far. Even a couple of inches of height difference should be adjusted for. Maybe go the the dealer and measure the height of the receiver on the 2wd vs your 4wd and then you can make the adjustment.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I would do the full hookup and verify before towing too far. Even a couple of inches of height difference should be adjusted for. Maybe go the the dealer and measure the height of the receiver on the 2wd vs your 4wd and then you can make the adjustment.

Rob
    I agree with doing the hookup and getting it right prior to your trip. Take the time to do the proper set up while at home as a planned event in fair weather conditions. If you start your trip out and it is not set up correctly you may find yourself making adjustments in a parking lot somewhere in crummy weather conditions. I always prefer being prepared and leaving nothing to chance.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good idea, i’ll do that. i think i’ll drop by the local dealer who services Curt hitches and bend their ear also. thanks again.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know my new F250 is 4" higher than my F150. Haven't adjusted the hitch yet.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 4wd F-150 is 1-3/4in higher than the 2wd. Front suspension is higher to accommodate the drivetrain, rear just has a 1-3/4in block.

I’m curious the difference you find with the two trucks towing. It doesn’t seem to me like it would even be noticeable, but then again they do drive distinctly different unloaded (drove both before buying mine).

Max tow is essentially meaningless with a TT, so you didn’t lose anything there. Max payload would help more, cause that’s what you’d run out of first, but often isn’t needed.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Max tow is essentially meaningless with a TT, so you didn’t lose anything there.
    There are some features included in the Max. Trailer Tow Package that are not part of the (regular) Trailer Tow Package which are beneficial regardless of whether you're towing a travel trailer or a fifth wheel, so I wouldn't say it's meaningless.

However, it's also possible to get some of those features bundled in with certain equipment groups without actually having the Max. Trailer Tow Package. In that regard you don't actually have to get the Max. Trailer Tow Package in order to get a truck that's equipped with the most desirable features of the Max. Trailer Tow Package.

It's a bit confusing when the sticker lists an equipment group but does not list the individual options and packages that comprise the equipment group.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch