User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing with E rated 65 psi vs 80 psi tires

It's coming time to replace my truck's factory 285/65r20 Firestone tires. They are E rated 125q 3640lb 80psi.

I'm looking at 2 different options
    Toyo RT 315/60r20 E rated 125q 10ply 3640lb 65psi

Or,
    35x12.50r20 nitto ridge grappler F rated 125q 12ply 3680lb 80psi.

I am most concerned with load carrying capacity and handling. Which imo tells me to go with the 80psi tire. But I'm here to see the differences between capability and handling of the 65psi max vs 80 max.

I know the 3640lb rating is enough, and ideally I'd like more but these are my options I've found best besides a 295/65r20 which is 126q 3750lb but it's a skinny tire. The more weight carrying the better, but I know 3640lb is sufficient so I will not go below that.

At this time, I've decided I might as well upgrade the wheels as well, 20x10 SOTA rather than putting new tires on my less than appealing factory wheels. However, if this is not safe, I will forego.

Thank you for your time.
    Unit is a 380th.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by the.jmo; 12-16-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's not one of your choices listed above but I like the Michelin's. I've had great luck with them, rotate at every oil change and get long life.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the Michelin Defender suggestion - 3,860 lbs. at 80 PSI. I put six of them on my truck (17" wheels) and I'm extremely happy with them. Our previous truck had 20" rims and I didn't like the fact that it really limited the choice of tires. You can, however, get the Defenders in your size.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'll second the Michelin Defender suggestion - 3,860 lbs. at 80 PSI. I put six of them on my truck (17" wheels) and I'm extremely happy with them. Our previous truck had 20" rims and I didn't like the fact that it really limited the choice of tires. You can, however, get the Defenders in your size.

Rob
    Gotta 3rd the Michelin. Put 6 on as well on the new Ram and took those awful NEXGEN factory tires off. 17 inch rims with the alcoa factory rims. Don't have any experience with Toyo or Nitto. Had a set of Bridgestone once didn't like them took the old Dodge Ram right back and had Michelin put on. Yup they were expensive but I stay with what I have experience with and like. LT235x80xR17 E rated. 80 in the front 65 in the duals.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Michelins on the truck from the factory and didn't put them back on I went with the Nitto Exo grappler they were supposedly designed for HD trucks/loads. Jury is still out but they are on track to outlast the Michelins. But they are a little louder especially new and after a rotation. YMMV.

I would definitely not go with the 65's their bound to be softer and I would rather have the stiffer tires for towing.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I had Michelins on the truck from the factory and didn't put them back on I went with the Nitto Exo grappler they were supposedly designed for HD trucks/loads. Jury is still out but they are on track to outlast the Michelins. But they are a little louder especially new and after a rotation. YMMV.

I would definitely not go with the 65's their bound to be softer and I would rather have the stiffer tires for towing.
    This truck is pretty much used exclusively for towing. I have put 3500mi on it since June of 2018.
    While I dont daily drive it, I am still a truck enthusiast at heart. So I'd like to put a more aggressive set of tires a little bit larger.
    I came across a deal for some wheels for $400 that I couldn't pass up, so I figured it's time for tires might as well add a little pizazz too lol.
    I know that going to something like a 35x12.50 isnt going to help my towing ability, and it is rather unintelligent to put an aggressive 35x12.50 (or similar) size on an exclusive tow rig, but again. If I'm buying tires anyway, I might as well get the most out of it and put some nice wheels at the same time.

AS LONG AS, it doesnt affect my towabilty and safety. So with all that being said, are the 65psi tires going to feel soft or unstable in comparison to the 80psi tires? I have air bags and the truck is completely stable as is with 80psi factory tires. Pin weight is advertised at 3850lb for my unit.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.jmo View Post
    This truck is pretty much used exclusively for towing. I have put 3500mi on it since June of 2018.
    While I dont daily drive it, I am still a truck enthusiast at heart. So I'd like to put a more aggressive set of tires a little bit larger.
    I came across a deal for some wheels for $400 that I couldn't pass up, so I figured it's time for tires might as well add a little pizazz too lol.
    I know that going to something like a 35x12.50 isnt going to help my towing ability, and it is rather unintelligent to put an aggressive 35x12.50 (or similar) size on an exclusive tow rig, but again. If I'm buying tires anyway, I might as well get the most out of it and put some nice wheels at the same time.

AS LONG AS, it doesnt affect my towabilty and safety. So with all that being said, are the 65psi tires going to feel soft or unstable in comparison to the 80psi tires? I have air bags and the truck is completely stable as is with 80psi factory tires. Pin weight is advertised at 3850lb for my unit.

If your truck is already tall, have you considered what it will do to the nose of your trailer and, if a fifth wheel, bed-to-overhang clearance?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If your truck is already tall, have you considered what it will do to the nose of your trailer and, if a fifth wheel, bed-to-overhang clearance?

Rob
    Truck is factory height with a 3" leveling spacer in front. Has been that way since new.
    Factory Tires currently measure to 33.4" x 11.5" according to Firestone specs.
    20x8.5 factory wheels.

I will be going to a 20x10 wheel, 35x12.50 tire. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160905_072629.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	23885

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.jmo View Post

I would definitely stick with something at 80 psi but I cant say for sure but I wouldn't even consider the 65's and I would look for something with more capacity. With that level of pin weight which i assume is loaded you have to be getting close to the combined capacity of those tires. What does the truck weigh empty but ready to tow? (people, wood, gas etc)? A 295/65r20 could be had with a 4080 capacity they are about 35 x 11 3/4
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I would definitely stick with something at 80 psi but I cant say for sure but I wouldn't even consider the 65's and I would look for something with more capacity. With that level of pin weight which i assume is loaded you have to be getting close to the combined capacity of those tires. What does the truck weigh empty but ready to tow? (people, wood, gas etc)? A 295/65r20 could be had with a 4080 capacity they are about 35 x 11 3/4
    I'm going to have some 295/65r20 nitto trail grapplers fitted tomorrow to see how they look. 4080lb at 80psi. 35.47 x 12.13 according to nitto website.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast