User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which trailer to buy?

Hello everyone,
    I am at a crossroad on which trailer to buy. I am looking at the Imagine 2500RL and the Salem Hemisphere 24RLHL. Both models have almost the identical floor plans and weight is about the same. I have read on this site how well Imagines are built and warranty issues are few. From what I have found on the Salem is they are built well but have some warranty issues. But depending on which sites I go to I find that owners of both brands either love them or have some issues with them. I'm leaning towards the Imagine but I would like some input from actual owners if anyone has compared these two models.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most rv's use a lot of the same components in their coach's. So you could end up with the same type of problem's from either one of them. What makes the difference is in the way these problems when they do happen. Salem is made by Forest River. From everything I have read GD has a better reputation for taking care of their products after the sale. Reading on here you will hear of complaints but the majority of the people are satisfied with how they are treated when they do need help.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I love about GD is they dont put heat ducts in the floor. They are all on vertical surfaces so that dirt doesnt collect in the ducting. I haven't seen any other manufacturer do this. I know there are work arounds for the floor ducts, but its nice not having them. I think it makes the floor more solid as well.

Other than that, I think they are mostly all built the same. GDs customer service is what attracted us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    One thing I love about GD is they dont put heat ducts in the floor. They are all on vertical surfaces so that dirt doesnt collect in the ducting. I haven't seen any other manufacturer do this. I know there are work arounds for the floor ducts, but its nice not having them. I think it makes the floor more solid as well.

Other than that, I think they are mostly all built the same. GDs customer service is what attracted us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Well, mostly. In our Reflection the ducts in the living room/kitchen are in the island (not in the floor), and the bathroom has it's little vent blowing from under the vanity cabinet (the intake is on the floor behind the toilet). The vent in the bedroom is in the floor right at the foot of the bed.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most components used in campers come from a very few suppliers and are same in many different campers. Most campers are assembled similar with same basic quality issues. The thing that makes Grand Design stand out is their customer service after the sale. Dealers can be quite poor in service area or fairly good; it just depends on dealer you buy from. I had several quality issues with my 2018 GD 2250RK and GD was there for me. Never had to take camper back to dealer so don't know how well the dealer would have performed. Did all warranty repairs myself and GD sent me parts necessary to make repair; electric fireplace had defective proximity sensor(common problem with this model fireplace), water pump(check valve was allowing fresh water tank to over fill - if I had only know I could have adjusted check valve and corrected). I now have extra fireplace minus proximity sensor which wasn't necessary on my camper and spare water pump. They sent me another stereo but replacement had same issue as old one; digits on display are not clear; so I also have spare stereo. Most warranty repairs can be made by you in much less time it takes to hook up camper and take to dealer. Usually you have to leave camper; therefore another trip to dealer and more wasted time.

Grand Design customer service has to be one of the very best in the industry!!!!!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at both trailers live and in person?
    We saw our first GD at a show a few years back (Imagine 2600.) Walked in, sat down, looked around, and said "this is a nice trailer!" We really weren't looking to upgrade but liked the Imagine 2650 so much we traded ahead of schedule.
    OK, we had a few relatively minor problems initially that the dealer was dragging his feet on. I let GD know about it and within an hour got 2 phone calls - one from GD and another from the dealer, and that broke the logjam. We spent 5 months this summer at a full time seasonal site and only had one minor problem, easily fixed with a $15 part from Amazon.
    Would I buy another GD? In a heartbeat.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody, the picture is clearer. Still not sure which way we will go but I now have more information to help in the decision making. I'll update when we make our decision.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Salem looks nice. I tried to look up information, but it's quite hard to find a brochure or even detailed specifications and construction on Salem. The RV industry is big in marketing "strengths" ...so I personally see this as a red flag.

From a few photos, a few things that jumped out on the Salem is that there is only 1 entrance, which means you'll have to put the slide out to access the bathroom and bedroom when traveling. The controls for lights and monitoring panel is near the floor (kid magnet and a pain to bend down). The rear window does not slide to open, no window in the entry door, one row of A/C ducting and less overhead lighting, cable slide-out system, multiple cutouts on the sidewall for hookups, no outside convience center, thin baggage doors, entry door to the bath is smaller, no free-standing dinette.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did notice most of these items but it's always good to see what others have found.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the campers my wife and I have had were Forest River. We just came out of a Heritage Glen, which is the sister line to the Hemisphere. I would say very comparable to the Imagine line, but would argue the GD is a little better thought out. If you're not a DIYer, don't forget to factor in dealer location and experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast