User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Some of you here on the forum may know that I have been battling health issues for quite some time. The battle is what it is but what really pisses me off is missing a whole camping season. This forum has provided me with hours of entertainment and camaraderie. To those of you that have wished me well and sent good thoughts my way, I thank you. I think you helped.

Yesterday, after a 22 day hospital stay, I was sent to my recovery "halfway house" after receiving an autologous bone marrow transplant. My immune system numbers are recovering rapidly and I'm "engrafted". I have to live close to the clinic for a while for monitoring and rehydration but my doctors tell me my response was far above average. I told 'em I was a tough old bird and I'd get through this. The day my numbers came up I celebrated by walking 2 miles up and down the halls. Beast mode! So far, so good!

On 11/25 I underwent 8 straight days of high dose chemotherapy, wiping out my bone marrow along with any traces of undetectable cancer, leaving me with no immune system. This was the end of my "old" life. On December 6 the third of three infusions of healthy stem cells collected from my blood several weeks earlier was completed. This was a new birth. Then it was watch and wait to see if the graft would take. On day 11 post infusion my neutrophils began to show up. By day 13 I was into the normal range and beyond!

This was no cake walk. This was the most difficult physical and mental challenge I've endured. I was fed from a bag for about 9 days and connected to tubes 24/7. Mucositis, I hate you!

I believe my active life working outdoors every day helped me through this along with a healthy helping hand from the "Big Guy." I had a sense of calm knowing that when I couldn't carry the ball I had some great back up on my side.

The party isn't over but I'm headed in the right direction. I'll have to be very careful about eating and drinking and exposure to environmental insults. Lots of tests and more medical stuff awaits. Right now I'm a bit giddy. We already have 6 trips on the books for next year! YeeHawwww….

Happy Birthday To Me! 12/6/2019

Chiefblueman
    Kim, We will be keeping you in our prayers for a full recovery. My mother fought lung cancer for 5 years. She was in remission 3 times when it reared it's ugly head the last time she was just too weak to battle it again and we lost her. I spent the day yesterday with my family. We are kinda spread out so I don't get to see all of them too often. My older sister is in the middle of her chemo treatments now. She is amazing she goes in for her chemo on friday's after she works 1/2 a day. Then she goes home to rest saturday and sunday in order to work on monday. If you ask her how she is doing the answer is always " blessed and happy." She works part time at a "Senior day care". She loves what she does and the people there love her. Her Drs. say that her attitude is what helps her get along as good as she does. We all know it is her faith that keeps her strong. I just wanted to let you know that your story is also an inspiration to me. Maybe we will never meet in person but possibly we will. Keep the good spirits and tear up the roads on your 6 or more upcoming trips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merry Xmas and Happy Birthday ! You came as close as you can get, those "Stem cells" are your re-birth. 😁 I went thru a 2x, Hi-dose autologous transplant for "Amyloidosis" in 02 and 03 with 6 weeks in-between. I'm over 16 yrs out as a cancer survivor.
    If anything can test your intestinal fortitude and how much Grit you have as well as get you straight with the "Man" and those that have your back it's this procedure.
    Set your plans in Stone (unless the Doc. or wife say different)😂, you were heading for or looking to go somewhere before this little setback, so don't let the If', and's & Maybe's get in the way.
    A positive attitude, lots of hard work, Smart Doc's/Tech. and "Love" from family and friends made the whole journey in my opinion a "Hell of a Ride" !
    Congratulations, "Hook-up and Hit the road" !
    😉😁😎
    Last edited by Jegresham; 12-26-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jegresham View Post
    Merry Xmas and Happy Birthday ! You came as close as you can get, those "Stem cells" are your re-birth. �� I went thru a 2x, Hi-dose autologous transplant for "Amyloidosis" in 02 and 03 with 6 weeks in-between. I'm over 16 yrs out as a cancer survivor.
    If anything can test your intestinal fortitude and how much Grit you have as well as get you straight with the "Man" and those that have your back it's this procedure.
    Set your plans in Stone (unless the Doc. or wife say different)��, you were heading for or looking to go somewhere before this little setback, so don't let the If', and's & Maybe's get in the way.
    A positive attitude, lots of hard work, Smart Doc's/Tech. and "Love" from family and friends made the whole journey in my opinion a "Hell of a Ride" !
    Congratulations, "Hook-up and Hit the road" !
    ������
    I'm lucky to live in the Seattle area and being treated where bone marrow transplants were invented. I have great doctors/team.
    Man, you've been through it! Congratulations on 16 years free! Sometimes when my mind starts looking back, I'll come here and look forward. Forward is a good direction. I saw my 3 yo grandson yesterday for the first time in 5 or 6 weeks. I felt a sense of normalcy I haven't felt for many weeks. It felt so good. Getting my old life back and starting a new one, that's where I'm at. Still have a ways to go but each day gets just a little better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are truly an inspiration. Never quit fighting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234