Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Noise When in Use

Good evening everyone!

Question, when your propane tanks are in use for heat, for example, do you audibly hear gas coming from the tank through the immediate gas line heading back to the trailer?

Also, I noticed when I "wiggle" that gas line I can hear a slight leak (at the point where it connects to the propane tank). As if you are removing air from a tire. Though I know this is a separate issue from my ask above, wanted to see if others experienced this as well.

Thanks!!

Alex Martin

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mix a small amount of dish soap into a container of water. Make sure the gas is on. Using a cloth, brush or sponge, wipe down the suspected area. If you see bubbles forming, that means you have a leak!
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this information. Just like I would do when searching for a puncture in a tire. Perfect and totally forgot about this method. I've absolutely give this a try.

In the meantime, is it normal to "hear" the transportation of the gas from the tank to the gas line when in use?

Thank you!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our Imagine 2970 the gas regulator makes a very slight humming noise when the water heater or furnace is running. Not a hissing sound, but light high pitched hum. On my brothers previous camper the gas regulator was quite loud, like you could hear it 15 feet away.
    Make sure connection at the tank is nice and tight. The O-ring on the gas line fitting that mates with the tank is dry, I've found that right about the time you think you have the connection tight I can give it another 1/4 turn or so. Also make sure you don't have a real "severe" bend in the rubber gas line from tank to regulator. When I'm replacing tanks I try to turn the tanks such that the rubber gas line has a nice gentle bend, then I tighten the tank hold down.
    If your leak persists, I would replace that line. They're cheap, like I think less than $10.00 cheap.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    On our Imagine 2970 the gas regulator makes a very slight humming noise when the water heater or furnace is running. Not a hissing sound, but light high pitched hum. On my brothers previous camper the gas regulator was quite loud, like you could hear it 15 feet away.
    Make sure connection at the tank is nice and tight. The O-ring on the gas line fitting that mates with the tank is dry, I've found that right about the time you think you have the connection tight I can give it another 1/4 turn or so. Also make sure you don't have a real "severe" bend in the rubber gas line from tank to regulator. When I'm replacing tanks I try to turn the tanks such that the rubber gas line has a nice gentle bend, then I tighten the tank hold down.
    If your leak persists, I would replace that line. They're cheap, like I think less than $10.00 cheap.
    TyeeMan,

Thank you so much for your insight. What you have described is better than how I described it. I do believe we are talking about the same thing at this point, meaning how this actually sounds. I absolutely ensure no abrupt bends in the gas line as well. Also, over the weekend, I purchased two regulators which allows me better understanding on how my 2970RL is consuming the propane and knowing when I am actually low so that I won't run out.

I also performed the soap test and there appears to be no leak as well.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone! We are heading out for a trip on the 27th to VA for 5 days. Can't wait!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are very welcome. You may or may not know, but your regulator will automatically switch to the full tank when one tank goes empty. I would recommend filling the empty tank as soon as you can to ensure you always have propane.
    Also, not sure what kind of temps you will be camping in, but if temps get to the 30s overnight and 40s during the day plan on burning 1 tank per 24-30 hrs. Or if its really cold, 1 tank per 12 hrs. Trust me, I know.

Have a safe and fun filled camping trip.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are very welcome. You may or may not know, but your regulator will automatically switch to the full tank when one tank goes empty. I would recommend filling the empty tank as soon as you can to ensure you always have propane.
    Also, not sure what kind of temps you will be camping in, but if temps get to the 30s overnight and 40s during the day plan on burning 1 tank per 24-30 hrs. Or if its really cold, 1 tank per 12 hrs. Trust me, I know.

Have a safe and fun filled camping trip.

Thank you again TyeeMan!

You were right on regarding the time for a tank to be used up as we were around the 30 hours mark when the first tank ran out. Also, the propane gauges that I purchased came in real handy. They fit perfectly in the enclosure and they absolutely told me the story about my propane usage. I fully recommend this to anyone.

Trip was wonderful and went by so quickly. The funny part about this trip, we were the ONLY people at this campsite. It is very odd feel but at the same time, very peaceful. We are already planning our next on for Feb/March time frame.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to hear everything went well and you had a great time. I bet that was an odd feeling to have the entire campground to yourself.
    Could you please post a link or tell me the brand and model of propane gages you have? Oh, and where you bought them. I'm very interested! This year I think I'm bumping up to twin 30 lb LP tanks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to hear everything went well and you had a great time. I bet that was an odd feeling to have the entire campground to yourself.
    Could you please post a link or tell me the brand and model of propane gages you have? Oh, and where you bought them. I'm very interested! This year I think I'm bumping up to twin 30 lb LP tanks.
    Good afternoon TyeeMan! I apologies for the delay as we've been out of the country to somewhere warm.

I am thinking on switching to two 30 lb LP tanks as well. I am working on obtaining dimensions to see whether the current "cover" for the 20 lbs tanks will be sufficient.

Also, please see the link below for the gauge information I purchased:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have a great one!

Alex

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, put the soap mixture in a small spray bottle and spray it on the suspected area and look for bubbles.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast