User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 313 too heavy tw. Need help

I have a 2016 313rlts. I just found the build sheet the other day. The factory sheet shows the tw at 1240 without full lp and no batteries. The dealer sold me an equil-i-zer 1200/12000 which is too small for the empty trailer. I was too ignorant to know I needed a bigger wd hitch just from the get go. Now I'm on a trip. Got the trailer weighed. Now my tw is about 1650. A little water in fresh tank to flush toilet, full pl tanks, 2- 12 volt batteries. Very little in the front storage compartment. I've tried to move stuff to the back but my weight doesnt come down enough. My truck has a 2000/18000 hitch. No problem there. But the wd hitch is the problem. I went to Equilizer and they said yep your over weight, we have a 1600/16000 hitch we could sell you. I'm not ready to purchase a $1000 hitch. Not sure where my weight is???
    Signed getting smarter.
    Dan and Kathy
    2022 Solitude 390RK
    2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD Duramax
    USMC Semper Fi

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put your 1200/12000 on Craigslist and get the proper weight WDH. I would go Blue Ox 2000 lbs TW WDH $645 @ Etrailer or any brand thats over 1650 lbs.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the build sheet you are overweight so you should bet a new WDH. Equalizer is great we had one when we had a TT but there are several good options out there. If you want to get very close on your hitch weight go to a CAT Scale, weigh the truck and trailer together, then drop the trailer and scale through a second time with only the truck with same contents/occupants. You can compare the drive axle weights on the two tickets and the difference will be your tongue weight. This will cost you $20+ dollars so, based on the build sheet, you may want to skip that and put the $20+ toward the purchase of a new hitch, unless you are just curious to know exactly where you stand. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canald View Post
    I have a 2016 313rlts. I just found the build sheet the other day. The factory sheet shows the tw at 1240 without full lp and no batteries. The dealer sold me an equil-i-zer 1200/12000 which is too small for the empty trailer. I was too ignorant to know I needed a bigger wd hitch just from the get go. Now I'm on a trip. Got the trailer weighed. Now my tw is about 1650. A little water in fresh tank to flush toilet, full pl tanks, 2- 12 volt batteries. Very little in the front storage compartment. I've tried to move stuff to the back but my weight doesnt come down enough. My truck has a 2000/18000 hitch. No problem there. But the wd hitch is the problem. I went to Equilizer and they said yep your over weight, we have a 1600/16000 hitch we could sell you. I'm not ready to purchase a $1000 hitch. Not sure where my weight is???
    Signed getting smarter.
    Do like goducks said. Bite the bullet and get a Blue Ox 2000lb hitch, sell the EQ when you get home. I use the Blue Ox on my 315 and like it better than the EQ we had on our previous trailer. As it is, at 1650lbs you could snap the shank on your underrated EQ and really have a mess on your hands.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for helping me come to terms with replacing my hitch. I just purchased a Blue ox 2000 for $592 with new ball. RV dealers are not trust worthy to help the ignorant buyer. I know, buyer beware, but they should at least make sure that the buyer has a safe unit. Anyway thank you for your help. I know that this forum would come through.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for helping me come to terms with replacing my hitch. I just purchased a Blue ox 2000 for $592 with new ball. RV dealers are not trust worthy to help the ignorant buyer. I know, buyer beware, but they should at least make sure that the buyer has a safe unit. Anyway thank you for your help. I know that this forum would come through.
    Have a safe journey!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also recommend at least an 18" 1/2" drive breaker bar. Toss the cheesy bar that comes with it in your tool box just in case.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you per chance verified the rating on your receiver hitch at the truck to see if it can do that much? I'm not familiar with GM ratings, there should be a sticker on the receiver that will tell how much with and / or without a WDH.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-26-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is your F150 a 3.5L TT?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Have you per chance verified the rating on your receiver hitch at the truck to see if it can do that much? I'm not familiar with GM ratings, there should be a sticker on the receiver that will tell how much with and / or without a WDH.
    This is a great recommendation. The hitch receiver that comes with Ford SD's is maxed at 1500 pin weight. My 315RLTS can be as high as 1650lb so I replaced it with a Reese hitch receiver rated much higher - got it from etrailer.com. Simple swap as it took less that 20 minutes and that was mostly finding my tools.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast