User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
    We recommend the BLUE OX SWAY PRO. It has a lifetime warranty. The steel is chrome molly which is somewhat forgiving, giving you added cushion. Other models are a case hardened steel...not forgiving at all. Blue Ox does not use the side mounted sway control/friction bar, which can bend if you forget to remove it during reverse maneuvers. We've researched many options, some less expensive, some more. The BLUE OX SWAY PRO is what we recommend and I would encourage my family to use. Cheaper is not better...BETTER IS BETTER
    Thanks Scott. I'll look into this one.

Chris

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cash4trash View Post
    thanks skiddy. So how does the weight distribution work? I watched Anderson videos and he doesn't say anything about measurements except ball to hitch. Oh, he does mention to turn pressure four times against the bushings.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Hey Chris- Assume by four times against the bushings you are referring to tightening the tension nut at least four turns, four threads visible over what the starting point was. With equal tension on the triangle plate, there is force to rotate the shank and ball upwards, much the way a spring bar or trunnion does on a conventional hitch. The ball assembly sits in a cone shaped holder lined with a brake pad like material. This allows the ball to turn with respect to the shank and the friction helps with sway. The ball does not need grease as it does not rotate in the coupler.

For setup, level your trailer, measure distance to the frame (not the frame extensions or drop frame members) to the ground, from as far to the rear and front as possible. My 2150RB the measurement was about 22-1/2”. This is also the measurement to the inside top of the coupler. Now set the top of the ball in the shank to about 1” to 1-1/2” higher than the top of coupler, I used 24”.
    Now measure the top of fender to ground for both front and rear wheels of the tow vehicle. In my case the rear was a little over 39”, the front was about 37”. Assuming you have been through the instal guide, the brackets are installed on the trailer A frame. Hook up the trailer with the chains unattached, locking the coupler. Slightly raise the tongue using the power jack. If the triangle plate is not perpendicular to the centre line of the trailer, you can move the plate with your hands. Attach the chains with the shackles. Tighten the tension nuts to at least four turns, probably at least three more, so seven threads showing over the starting point. Retract the jack. Check the fender clearance, a level unit will have about same height for the front fender, the rear might be about 1” less. If you need more equalization tighten the tension nuts, if you need less equalization loosen the tension nuts - I’ve found adjustments ov even 1/2 turn can be noticed.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 01-29-2020 at 04:32 PM.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cash4trash View Post
    Thanks Scott. I'll look into this one.

Chris
    Where are you located? I have 2 year old Blue Ox Swaypro with 1000lb bars I am selling. I am located in Western Mass. But I think shipping costs would probably be pretty high due to the weight.
    Last edited by Misterpiano; 01-29-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    22” low profile tires while towing a TT? That makes no sense to me but do as you choose. I suggest you research your decision further.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    22” low profile tires while towing a TT? That makes no sense to me but do as you choose. I suggest you research your decision further.
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, that's what was on the truck when I bought it. I think that if I stay within the load rating I'll be ok, but not sure. If I need to get different tires, it'll hurt, but definitely will. I just had to replace one this weekend because a piece of metal ruined the tire ... $400 plus road hazard.. ouch.
    Chris

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the aspect ratio of the tire plays an important role in the safe driving / towing of your RV. I’ve never met any RV’er that would agree that running Low Profile tires on a TV would be a safe thing to do. Best of luck.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    the aspect ratio of the tire plays an important role in the safe driving / towing of your RV. I’ve never met any RV’er that would agree that running Low Profile tires on a TV would be a safe thing to do. Best of luck.
    Today’s low profile, 55 aspect ratio specifically, is not your father’s low profile, IMO. Stay within the load limits and most will find their towing experience is safe. Years ago, you were absolutely correct, maybe due to bias ply? I really have no idea.
    Friend has 255/70 R 18 113T’s on his F150. mine has 275/55 R 20 113T’s. Both trucks have pulled my trailer, I noticed no difference whatsoever wrt handling. His 6 speed transmission was noticeably different than my 10 speed, but other than that, neither he nor I noticed a difference.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have factory goodyear 275/55R20 Kevlars on my 19 f150 5.0 Coyote for what’s is worth. I’ll concede that the definition of low profile may have changed over the years.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345