User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New truck, looking for trailer

Hey All, new to the forum and looking for a new trailer. The tow vehicle, 2019 RAM Limited 1500 . The payload is listed at 1300 lbs, and trailer tow rated 8020 I think. This was found when searched on RAM website with VIN info.

The IDEAL trailer is 2450RL, but I'm thinking this might be too much trailer for the truck. I also like the 22MLE, and it's about 4ft shorter and about 500 lbs less. The LOADED trailer weight for the 22MLE has it as 6995, so, that's about 1,000 under capacity. This truck has the 3.21 highway gears, so the towing capacity is A LOT less, but this is my commute truck that will see weekend towing.

I'm also looking at a sway control/ WD hitch. I've done A LOT of research on the Pro Pride, and like their product. So, question is the roughly $2k more than other hitches worth it? I'm not limited on funds, but wonder if it's really worth the extra money.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

I have a 2019 RAM 1500 myself as a daily driver, but I've got the 3.92 gears. You need to check your truck's actual payload, which you will find on the door jamb sticker, driver's side. The well optioned Limiteds cannot carry much, especially if you have the sunroof.

The HEMI has plenty of power and not the issue. The 1500 is light and the Limiteds have P-rated tires from the factory. So, the tail can easily wag the dog. Also, a ProPride is a nicely engineered hitch! However, it too will take a bite from your limited payload.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that your tagged payload includes fuel, occupants, pets, hitch and anything else you will put in or on your truck. Travel trailers typically put 12% of their loaded weight (use the GVWR of the trailer for this - you don't take the trailer camping while empty). If you figure 100 lbs. for a good WD hitch, and another 500 lbs. for a couple of people and some gear, you're left with a loaded trailer weight of 7,500 lbs. that your truck can handle. Don't worry about stated "towing capacity." You'll reach your payload limits long before that.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Geo. yep, mine has the huge sunroof, and it's awesome The door sticker says 1320, which is 500 lbs less than the RAM website. I'm guessing it's because of the 22" low profile tires. So, those won't be changed until wore out. I talked to Pro Pride, and they said that hitch is almost 200 lbs!!!

How you like your truck? I've had mine a month, and it needs a rack a pinion already. lol

Chris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks 2nd chance. Yeah, I'm new to trailers, as I have owned a class A diesel pusher 15yrs. Wife and I are looking for a nice trailer that has a slide and something that's well built. My truck kinda limits what I can tow, and the 22MLE is about 500 lbs tongue weight. So, i'm hoping this is within limits

Chris

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cash4trash View Post
    Thanks Geo. yep, mine has the huge sunroof, and it's awesome The door sticker says 1320, which is 500 lbs less than the RAM website. I'm guessing it's because of the 22" low profile tires. So, those won't be changed until wore out. I talked to Pro Pride, and they said that hitch is almost 200 lbs!!!

How you like your truck? I've had mine a month, and it needs a rack a pinion already. lol

Chris
    Mine was built late October 2018, and I bought it off the dealer lot on Black Friday 2018! It's a Laramie, 4x4, 6'-4" bed, and I have done a lot to it! I had a Line-X sprayed in, added the factory cargo bars in the bed, added factory bed lights, factory bed step, an AMP BedXtender, and a Lomax hard tri-fold tonneau. Also added the factory power folding step bars (the Mrs. needs them). I customized the front end with a body paint matched grille shell, but kept the chrome bars in the grille. Front windows tinted to match, paint protection film on vital areas, ceramic coating on the rest.

I really like the 2019! I traded in my pristine 2014 RAM 1500 Sport for it. Most of the issues I've had have been rather minor, and I have a fantastic servicing dealer. The one issue that was big, was a cracked rear sliding window frame but I caught that quick! The one thing that annoys me is the brake squeal. FCA has not got the fix yet that actually works. The one dumb piece of engineering is when you have the LED light option, the reverse lamps in the taillights are terrible! You cannot see anything in the mirrors and barely by the camera. No bulbs to change in the taillights, but a problem remedied by adding a VLEDS license plate LED bar!

Even though same powertrain as my Sport, my Sport was more responsive to the pedal. The programming is definitely different with more lag at takeoff. However, the ride of the 5th Gen is far superior to the 4th Gen, and talk about quiet! I have the last of the Lifetime Maxcare warranties on it, so I won't be doing any performance tuning. However, I have the '37, '38, and '56 in the garage when feeling the need for unbridled power! Lol
    Last edited by geotex1; 12-22-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cash4trash View Post
    Thanks 2nd chance. Yeah, I'm new to trailers, as I have owned a class A diesel pusher 15yrs. Wife and I are looking for a nice trailer that has a slide and something that's well built. My truck kinda limits what I can tow, and the 22MLE is about 500 lbs tongue weight. So, i'm hoping this is within limits

Chris
    Once you work the math, and make a decision, you will want a weight distributing hitch and sway control regardless. I've got a used, but excellent condition Equal-i-zer for sale. Elegant simplicity of design, and used them on all the receiver towed trailers I had. Nowadays, I tow everything off a goose ball - enclosed car carrier, dump trailer, flat tilt, and now the Solitude.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2450RL is, IMO a touch too much for your truck. I have a 2018 F150 with payload of 1350 and my 2150RB pretty much taps it out from a payload perspective. Lots of pull power with the eco boost, but not much payload as like yours it has the full sun roof and lots of other goodies. The 22MLE is about 500 pounds more than our 2159RB.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nice truck. I ordered a retrax tonneau, but haven't installed it yet. I'm glad that mine had a spray in bed liner already because I'd be buying one for sure. On the warranty: you got lucky, I heard, but not sure that in 2019 they went to 8 yr/125.. I bought mine online from Ziegler dodge. Price was way less than my dealership.

Chris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geo, how's the equalizer tow? Ive never used a bumper pull trailer..
    Chris

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast