User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen skylight condensation

Hello everyone,

Awhile ago (few months) I was on the roof looking things over. I noticed some condensation in the kitchen skylight. I guess I didn’t think anything of it and figured it’d clear up on its own. Fast forward to now I’m noticing some ..bubbling? On the wood finish (the plastic sticker looking finish on all the wood trim) that goes around the skylight on the inside. Is the condensation leaking inside? The skylight is two layers (one on the outside and one on the inside and the condensation builds up between them). How do I prevent this? Is there an air leak between the two pieces allowing condensation to form? Or are they not sealed pieces? The caulking on the roof looks fine to me but I’m going to go back up tomorrow and take a second look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	138364E4-344F-4EAE-A088-278FE82888F3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	774.9 KB 
ID:	23944

Name:	C0F2527C-219F-4742-B3F2-6C0BBF9DD5F6.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	23945
    2015 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab Short Bed
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Me, my wife (early 30’s), a dog, and a cat.
    Instagram: StillCamping

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics are sideways. Technology error on my part
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StillCamping View Post
    Pics are sideways. Technology error on my part
    No, it's a glitch with this forum.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StillCamping View Post
    Hello everyone,

Awhile ago (few months) I was on the roof looking things over. I noticed some condensation in the kitchen skylight. I guess I didn’t think anything of it and figured it’d clear up on its own. Fast forward to now I’m noticing some ..bubbling? On the wood finish (the plastic sticker looking finish on all the wood trim) that goes around the skylight on the inside. Is the condensation leaking inside? The skylight is two layers (one on the outside and one on the inside and the condensation builds up between them). How do I prevent this? Is there an air leak between the two pieces allowing condensation to form? Or are they not sealed pieces? The caulking on the roof looks fine to me but I’m going to go back up tomorrow and take a second look.

Name:	138364E4-344F-4EAE-A088-278FE82888F3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	774.9 KB 
ID:	23944

Name:	C0F2527C-219F-4742-B3F2-6C0BBF9DD5F6.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	23945
    Could be a leak from somewhere else. Water will migrate. Could also be a crack in the skylight flange if they over tightened it. When checking the caulking you need to go all around the edges to see if anything will lift. Might look fine but still not sticking to the roof or the skylight in some spots. Inner and outer plastic is not sealed. Inner will just come out.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take the inner liner off and inspect carefully. If the outer skylight is leaking, you will likely be able to see where the water is coming in. I had a similar situation on a motorhome. Careful inspection of the sealant on the outside did not reveal any obvious leaks. When I removed the inner liner, I could easily see that there was a leak in one corner.

Also, when you identify the leak, I would remove as much of that caulk around the outer panel as you can and use 4" Eternabond tape to seal the skylight. Properly applied, and you will never have to worry about a leak.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a leak and not condensation. In your picture, you outer dome appears to be cracked. Those skylights, which every manufacturer uses, are junk! Wrong polymer, and it embrittles with age and takes little to crack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back up there today and took another look. The skylight itself isn’t cracked anywhere I can see and is still very flexible. I found a pinhole in the caulk over what appears to be a screw head? I applied some more in a few areas and touched up some other areas on the roof. Will monitor and see what happens. Thanks guys for the responses!
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, if that was not a hairline crack in your photo, I would check the roof upstream for any holes and any other poorly sealed penetrations.

Unless you're boiling giant pots of water and showering without using the vent fan, it is too much. Measure and monitor your humidity in the camper.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have humidity devices in every room. I haven’t seen it go higher than 30%. I’ve been on my roof more times than I can count since I think I’m chasing a front cap leak. That’s a long way for water to travel though. I THINK I have corrected the issue up front (fingers crossed), and I’ll monitor the skylight.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's the condition of your skylight now? I just arrived in Tucson and discovered the same thing on my Reflection 26rl-skylight above kitchen island and adjacent to the Maxx fan. No apparent leak or bubbling inside. Thought I'd check on the forum and found your post. I'm set up at Voyager RV for 6 weeks and dread having to break camp to resolve this-don't know if I can DIY. Any info appreciated. Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast