Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dish antenna change

We bought a used 5er that had a Winegard Traveler antenna system that was set up as a Direct TV system. We want to change it to a Dish system. To do so, as we understand it, we need to change the dish feed arm which will change the system from Direct TV to Dish. That is about $255.00. Or we could go with the Dish Playmaker Bundle for $299.00. The Traveler is mounted on the 5er roof whereas the Playmaker just sits on the ground and can be moved to avoid trees etc. that may be in the way for the satellite signal. It seems to us this remote location would also encourage the theft of the unit. What we'd like to know is, which of these two systems do you all like better? What are some pros and cons that you have experienced? And any other thoughts that you veterans may have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any experience with Direct TV or the Winegard Traveler. However, I have experience with DishNetwork Playmaker and the Winegard Pathway 2. (https://winegard.com/products/satell...-x2/pathway-x2). I am much happier with the pathway 2, but it is not perfect either. You are correct, that having an antenna that you can move out from under trees or other obstacles is preferred. The differences besides price is Size, the pathway is bigger - pro for getting reception, con for storage. Also, it is easier to get it to tune into one of the satellites. The pathway 2 has a the ability to work 2 tvs at once (although it has not worked great for me - I can get one but not both to work 90% of time) you will need to have 2 different satellite boxes & tv's to watch in both bedroom & living room....

I recommend the Satellite finder app to help determine if there is clear view to get your service. I have 50' cords and 75' cords. the longer the length, the less quality i hear....

So, if you plan on taking your 5th to parking lot type of camp grounds with few trees and other things that would block, I would say keep it on top. If you are into more trees, you will find the mobility of moving the antenna preferred. We do try to put it on the top of the camper to keep it from walking off, but have not had any problems yet. (have put inside occasionally when we leave camp). Good luck!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have DirecTV and the Trav'ler on my 395. Had a carry out type model before, but didn't have an HD option with that dish. That is different on Dish network and most all of the carry out type models will pick up HD. I think all you will really need to change on the Trav'ler hardware wise is the LNB. Don't think the arm would need to be changed. The LNB can be acquired for less than $225.00. I also think the main control box will have to be reprogrammed for Dish. I'm not sure if it's something that can be done by the user or if it has to be done by Winegard. I haven't had any real issues with trees in the last 2 1/2 years we have had the Winegard, but I do typically pick sites without much overhanging tree cover. If I were doing it again today, The Trav'ler would definitely be my choice again.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank each of you very much for taking your valuable time and responding to our inquiry. We have decided to go with the Traveler and convert it to Dish etc.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with Dish Tailgater and a Wally. This was after I got tired of trying and failing to get a dish to align for a number of years. Discovered that 1) we had to order an adapter from Dish to get Netflix, 2) the Wally has to be redone at least once a day to get the guide and 3) if there is even a bit of cloud we lose the signal. Other then that it works. I did rig up a tripod with an extended mast and a plywood base to mount the tailgater on and I attach a cable with a lock to the rig so it does not walk off. Also, cannot record off the Wally unless it is what we are watching. I miss our Hopper 3 that we carried with us but Disk folks explained that the Hopper had an internal hard drive that did not last well with RVing.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an OEM conversion kit from Winegard (it might include a switch in addition to the LNB assembly). These folks talk about doing the conversion:

https://www.heinzsitemobile.com/conv...avler-to-dish/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look in the "for sale" I have a Playmaker with tripod looking to make someone happy. If you ask Dish will probably send you a Wally receiver when you sign up for Dish Away, they did for me.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.